SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newtalk2

Neighbor Finally Upgrades to Heat Pump

9 years ago

My next door neighbor finally took my advice and upgraded from A/C plus electric furnace to a modern heat pump. He went with the Lennox XP25 3 ton variable speed. Nice equipment. Very quiet outdoor unit (rated 58 dB) and quiet indoor unit when set to comfort mode (lower fan speed). This unit makes our 2001 Carrier heat pump seem crude by comparison. Kudos to the Lennox engineers for reducing NVH, especially with the outdoor unit.

I was over there helping him set up the "hidden" iComfort wi-fi thermostat settings for a proper balance point lock out temperature on the electric strip heat. Installers said to him "set it however your like, it will follow your commands." This is generally true with electric strip backup, but it's not the low cost, efficient way to achieve desired comfort. Based on my Carrier experience, we settled on 5F for the high balance point (no strip heat above this temp.) and -20F for low balance point (no hp heat below this temp). He keeps it at 68F all the time with the new unit. So far, no problems maintaining the temp. His house is identical to mine, except for having older windows and less attic insulation. His total electric use (one person household) last month was app. 1,818 kWh, using the older heating unit and with lower temp. settings than now.

We recently had -6F temperatures one morning at 5 AM and the aux strip heat in our home did come on, but only for a short run time. Our 2001 Carrier 2.5 ton single stage heat pump (13 SEER, 9 HSPF, R22) operated by itself most of the time to keep our home at 68F-70F during the day and 66F at night. Amazing. Total electric use last month was only 1295 kWh, with 400 of that being baseload, so app. 895 for heating. This is a new seasonal low for us. Total heating degree days were 946 (Base 65F) for the 32 day billing period Jan. 15- Feb. 15. Home is a 2160 sf split-level. You can see from my numbers that my neighbor will definitely save lots of money with the new heat pump.

Anyone know when Carrier/Bryant will introduce the 2nd generation Copeland scroll 25+ SEER, 13 HSPF heat pumps?

Comments (14)