SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
garyg_gw

20+ year-old heat pump finally dies, but in could be worse

garyg
17 years ago

My 20+ year-old original, 3-ton, 7 SEER, Trane Executive Weathertron heat pump finally bit the dust last night. I will have someone come out and look at the unit and tell me what happened, but I don't think that I will attempt a repair. I am trying to be optimistic; at least it didn't die in the middle of the hot and humid Baltimore summer. I have been in the house (1700 square-foot split-foyer built in 1986) for 5+ years and never had any trouble with the unit. I changed filters religiously every month and cleaned the inside coil once per year.

I am currently running on emergency heat, and I'm trying to minimize run time on the electrical strips as I understand that resistance heat is the most expensive source of heat. I have a masonry fireplace w/insert in my below-grade family room and 2 cords of seasoned firewood to burn. Last night it was 23 degrees outside, and I had the insert on full blast. As long as it ran, it kept the family room at 68/69 and the upstairs at 66.

I have been reading this HVAC forum for about a year and I post when I feel that I can contribute something. I have learned a lot on this forum and I appreciate the info from both the pros and DIYers. I will get at least 3 bids from contractors. I will keep-it-simple, as Bob Brown likes to say. I don't need variable speed fans or muti-stage compressors. I want a basic, dependable, work-horse unit. I am leaning towards a 13-SEER, R-22, American Standard made by Trane. I am flexible on this choice and I will do my homework before I make my decision.

I would like to use the existing line set as this would save me a lot of dry wall repair. Opinions on using the old line set? Opinions in general?

Thanx.

Comments (5)