SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nippstress

Worst rose year likely to get even worse in 2013

Hi folks

I'm just venting a little if I may about what a rotten rose year 2012 was in my area. When I started posting on GardenWeb last spring I finally had a mature enough rose garden that I thought I could start posting pictures and joining in on more of the discussions. Then the drought hit (as it did over much of the nation), and we had to start watering the garden in April. From June through the end of September, we had less than an inch of rain total. Yes, I know some of you garden in places like Texas where it doesn't rain much, but those aren't usually places with -20 temperatures in the winter to fight as well. Nothing bloomed worth pictures this year, not even the spring flush (all two weeks of it before the temperatures skyrocketed). We're still in extreme drought all over Nebraska and we've had little to no snow, so they're already forecasting unending drought again this year. Last year was our driest and hottest year ever, and that includes dust bowl years.

The roses were just going dormant for the winter cold in mid-December when we got an unexpected 1.5 inches of rain and it warmed up again, as our yoyo weather can do at any time. The poor things were so confused that they all started leafing out with new growth - they clearly thought it was spring, and even the tulips were up 3 inches or more. Of course, we then got hit with our first extended spell of below zero weather, and that was before they had any snow cover. I couldn't even winter protect them fast enough, since it had been too warm (ground not even frozen) until just before it froze solid and bitterly cold. We all lament the Easter freeze of several years ago, but I'm afraid I'm going to have a lot of damage from this Christmas freeze, since they all got pulled out of dormancy at just the wrong time.

Sigh. I know there are far worse effects of the drought for our world and society than roses dying, but it is discouraging and hard to get very excited about planning for spring rose planting. I'm an optimist at heart, and I fully believe that "gardening is a way of showing you believe in tomorrow". It's just that I rather suspect I'm showing I believe in several years from now, rather than tomorrow.

A cautious but realistic optimist
Cynthia

Comments (17)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH