SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
barb_roselover_in

Need some inspiration

The other thread got too long and I wanted some more info so I will start another. Being cooped up gets to me and we are in the middle of a snowstorm. It is beautiful outside. Hope somebody takes some good pictures. Got groceries yesterday but left them in the car, so I went out in the garage and scratched around and came up with the package of seedless red grapes. I keep them frozen. Now I am ready for the lecture on how much sugar is in these grapes and many other fruits. I am not diabetic. That is one thing to date I don't have. I remember gettting a big package of fresh fruit for my SIL after she was in the hospital and her telling me it sent her sugar count off the wall. I had to apologize. I'm ready to hear it 'cause like I said getting bored plays havoc to your diet. Barb

Comments (16)

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Better to get your sugar from fresh (or fresh frozen) fruits than candy, IMPO.

Are you asking for cooking inspiration? Why not challenge yourself to come up w/ a dish w/ what's on hand? I love to browse epicurious.com for recipes using something I have in abundance - also MarthaStewart.com - those are my 2 go-tos for generally delicious & not too difficult recipes, but both have very complicated recipes as well, if that's your preference.

& epicurious lets you search w/ all kinds of filters, like low sodium, etc...

• plllog
    9 years ago

Are you looking for something to do with grapes? (BTW, I agree with Carol. Since you don't have sugar problems, eat fruit! If you can avoid a lot of processed sugars and starches, it might help you adjust to some of the other restrictions you're facing, but that's another story.)

Seedless grapes, cut in half, are great in chicken salad and chicken burritos. You could put them in an omelette with some bell peppers, etc., for a touch sweetness. Put them in water or iced tea, still frozen, for "ice cubes" that are yummy to chew on when the drink is gone (though with the storm, maybe you're not looking for cold drinks, so maybe save that for Summer). You can make a topping/sauce by running grapes through the food processor with spices. Use plain, or whirr in some onions. Combine with dried fruit and make a compote. Don't cook grapes whole unless you make a little slit for the steam to escape.

• Related Discussions

Need some inspiration...backsplash time...

Q

Comments (27)
    honor- you are right, I think the samples seem gray and since the granite comes in tomorrow and we still haven't decided on tile, I guess we have officially given up on a Wednesday install! Or at least I have! Beekeeperswife- lol, well right now yours is in at the top of the list (in ivory), but I think we are going to order some more samples too. If I hadnt done a damask pattern in the other room I think I could pull the trigger but it might appear that I have a damask obsession (I do, a little) but so far its the only one we both tentatively agree on! I wish I would have ordered some samples earlier. Word to the wise, dont procrastinate like me! I also found that a lot of the handmade ones take like 8 weeks to get in so that rules out a lot due to my waiting so late. Oh well. At least I finally ordered hardware today. All my masking tape hardware is falling off and I cant get my doors open so I was forced to decide!
    ...See More

OT: I needed some inspiration

Q

Comments (5)
    That is too sweet. I saw a beautiful Pileated Woodpecker yesterday just outside my window. It was so close. Their coloration is also amazing. I'm seeing a little less diversity since the hawks took up residence, but am hoping the Bard Owl shows up again.
    ...See More

Speaking of style...I need some inspiration.

Q

Comments (19)
    I work from home and often wear leggings/tunic when I’m home most of the day because Comfort. The rest of the time my uniform is jeans but I also have these pants, which I LOVE. http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=46800&pcid=46800&vid=1&pid=964562012 Ignore the bunching at the ankles. They have drawstrings that aren’t really noticeable and I don’t “draw” them. They’re so comfy, light weight, if I wear them with a t-shirt I have that might-be-going-to-the-gym look without looking too sloppy. These pants have gone on several vacations with me. I have the petite size. I also really like Lucky Brand tops. They have prints that are sort of boho but not over the top. Comfy and washable and a lot of them are a good length (I’m only 5’2” and have problems with tops being too long unless they’re petite). They seem to have sales online pretty regularly. Finally, more cotton jersey comfort...the Rosemarie dress from Toad & Co is so versatile. I own two in black and a couple others in different colors.
    ...See More

need some inspiration

Q

Comments (7)
    It’s a beautiful kitchen and while it might look very white to you right now.... but it’s a kitchen. So eventually you will have towels, lemons, plants, flowers, pretty dishes, cutting boards and some fun countertop appliances, breadbox, trays. I would keep the cabinetry as is. I think some styling cans really help add color. Easy fix. The table and chairs can add color or natural wood texture whatever is your style. All said and done... you did good!!! It’s a lovely kitchen!!
    ...See More
  • barb_roselover_in
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Carol, probably the wrong title. Nothing to do with cooking the fruit. I keep the frozen, unsweetened berry mix on hand or I eat fresh organic fruit. More expensive, I know. The only problem I have with the frozen is that in the process of getting it home, with the other stops I have to make, it is partially thawed .. I put it in the freezer and then I have a big hunk of frozen fruit that I try to break up by banging it on the counter. I know, I'm shaking my head too thinking "she is impossible". Again, I'm working on it. Barb

• plllog
    9 years ago

Wrong title? Barb, you didn't put any of that into your message either!

So what do you want to know?

1) How to get your frozen food home before it thaws--which you should do because it's bad for the food to thaw and refreeze.

2) How to thaw frozen berries.

3) How to break apart frozen berries.

4) Something that has absolutely nothing to do with frozen grapes and berries.

• ruthanna_gw
    9 years ago

Barb, I think a hobby to help alleviate boredom on those winter days (and occasionally weeks) when we have to hibernate might be what you're looking for. Keeping your hands and/or mind busy can reduce the urge for snacking.

There are all types of crafting and needlework tutorials on line and free or low-cost classes at stores like Hobby Lobby or A.C. Moore, free books on line through local libraries, and art and other interesting short-term classes at most community colleges and senior centers.

Learning something new is a great way to beat the winter blahs and nobody's too old to do it.

• barb_roselover_in
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So sorry that I messed you all up about the inspiration thing. I am constantly wrestling with the struggle to not eat bad things and stick with the diet I have so many foods that counteract each other. Sundays are bad as far as temptation (hence the inspiration).Have lots of hobbies-sewing, knitting, reading . You name it Don't. any of you face this little demon on weekends? Not a scary thing. Didn't buy the bad diet stuff. Just trying not to dwell on it. I must be in the minority.Barb

• lpinkmountain
    9 years ago

Oddly Barb, my "eating healthy" demons pop up during the week. On the weekends I am less stressed (usually) and I can take time to cook healthy. Plus, without the stress I don't get the cravings for carbs and sweets and caffeine. Keeping busy on weekends with stuff I have been wanting to attend to all week is much less stressful for me. So I use the weekend time to cook and prepare healthy foods for quick breakfasts and lunches at work, plus quick dinners because when I am working I end up coming home some nights too exhausted to want to take time and energy to cook but also starving.

If weekend food cravings are sabotaging your diet, try going for a walk when the demons hit! Perhaps find a weekend volunteer gig that will get you out of the house and away from the food! I dunno otherwise. Seems like we have the opposite problem. My diet demon is work and no time, not the down time. So I can only suggest finding a way to make the weekends the opposite of what they are, as a way of fighting the demon!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

The easiest thing for me is to not have it in the house. The other thing I do is have substitutes so I do have something to go too if I really need it, but something that won't be so terrible for me.

• barb_roselover_in
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I know why my weekends are bad. I miss my deceased husband and try to fill my weekends with going to church, meeting friends for lunch, reading the paper (which has dwindled to nothing). It really is not much fun finding yourself having a conversation with yourself.--or scolding my kitty Scratcher because he wants to eat all the time and is sitting in the window begging. You gotta work your way through it. Because I have trouble with the rheumatoid arthritis, can't walk too far, but I did make the resolution that when I hankered for something , to ride the exercise bike until it passed. Fortunately, I am one who can take one bite and put it out of my mind until something else comes up, so I keep lots of stuff in a freezer in the garage. Out of sight, out of mind. Or, I sit down at the keyboard and review some of the music that I hadn't played for five years. When I worked, I did not have that problem and I can totally understand. My youngest son is so sick of dealing with people through the week, that he loses himself in the sports. He's my go-to guy to explain the ins and outs of football to me. We will discuss the Super Bowl tonight. My team, the Colts, were out of it. Anyway, all of this will pass with time. In the meantime, I'm going to the Y to exercise, riding the bike and trying to cook healthy. Thanks for all the imput. Barb

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    9 years ago

It's got to be tough dealing with a loss like yours when you're probably surrounded by reminders of happier times in your home. Depression & boredom can be terrible - & bad for your physical health too.

This may likely be something you already know, but have you looked into volunteer opportunities in your area? Helping others can get you out of your own head & lift your spirits. My mom volunteers as an usher @ a couple of local theatres & also @ our church Sunday school - not as a teacher, but she helps w/ outreach & administrative duties (tho heaven knows they often need teachers as well). Our local public schools have tutoring & mentoring programs & are always looking for help for struggling students. Animal shelters are always looking for volunteers & local museums have volunteer docent programs, just to name a few opportunities that spring to mind...

• lpinkmountain
    9 years ago

Ok I'm going out on a bit of a limb here Barb, because I don't know you that well, but I do know about that whole sad situation of losing your husband and I myself am separated from my SO, not by death but by 564 miles and neither of us has the time nor money to bridge that, so I think we have similar dilemmas to deal with. A lot depends on your personal style. I am a strong extrovert, so for me, it is stress-relieving and uplifting to be around people, particularly good friends. A long list of projects or activities to do by myself isn't going to be helpful for me in relieving stress or depression, in fact they will cause it. Also, when you are single (I know a lot about that state!) "going out" and mingling with people can be depressing too, if you're just doing something where you don't know many people or don't intrinsically enjoy the activity. On the flip side, if you are doing something you enjoy, given a little time you will meet and get to know the other people who are there doing the same things, so that can help if you stick it out.

My SO is an introvert, he doesn't want to spend a minute of time doing something he doesn't enjoy, so he tends to avoid social situations unless there is a really compelling reason to go out other than to be with people, probably because of the energy he has to expend to go and do things alone--not refreshing for him. He wants and needs "cave time." So he is dealing with the separation by working out, home repair projects, and watching sports and movies on TV. So the lesson there is to take a good hard look at yourself and make sure you fill your time with activities that really suit you, or else it will be counter-productive.

Having said all that, it isn't easy to find the right activities or people to hang with. One strategy that I am committed to working more aggressively this year is to find things to engage in that I am passionate about and to get involved with projects that have goals and outcomes. So instead of just volunteering at the local theater as an usher (something I have done and love so I'm not knocking it if it rings your bell) I would get involved in a fundraiser or working on a production (for example). This is how it works for me, I am passionate about my SO, and now that he is not in my life on a daily basis, I need to find something else to be passionate about. I was single for 30 years before I met him, so I am not just blowing smoke here. Having something to work on that you are passionate about will (somewhat) replace having a spouse and kids. It is the best option if a spouse isn't in the picture for you. This helps a lot of folks also who have grief. They find a cause they can work on that gets them doing something positive to honor their loved ones. Heart disease, cancer, mental illness, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's . . . . etc. Get involved in causes like that and you will meet similar souls.

Now, if you are introverted and all of this makes you shudder or gag, you could try writing a blog and sharing your expertise on something with the world, or doing something like reading for the blind or even volunteering to go into the back office of the local American Heart Association and clean up their files! Most causes have both kinds of roles, in front of the crowd and behind the scenes. At least if they are on the ball with their volunteers. Having been a volunteer coordinator for many years, I know how important it is to match the personality of the volunteer with the role you put them in. Not all organizations do it well, find one that does!

If it will make you feel better, both my SO and I are probably carrying ten extra pounds since our separation. Not sure if that will abate, but I am trying to work on it!!

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    9 years ago

I'm with you on what to do when bored. Unfortunately, it usually revolves around what to make to eat. I'm no help, but you are not alone.

lpink, I haven't been around a lot. I hadn't heard. You separeted? I'm so sorry to hear that. (((lpink))) (((and SO))), you both have my hugs.

• barb_roselover_in
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, I definitely am an extrovert as you can tell by all my blabbing. Unfortunately, my deceased husband had Parkinsons and I worked with him constantly by exercising,helping with the speech, driving him, handling the business affairs because he saw he could not do that. This was over a period of several years. I have two problems here--age and health, so I am working in a limited capacity. Have done all of the things in church like teaching the kids, helping with extended church service, etc. I have a passion thing I am working on now that is not ready to be divulged. Also started the widow's group here in town which, after 13 years educating my kid, I quit when I remarried--so have lost two wonderful mates. No more pitty parties. Thanks for having long distance and computers. Put it on the shelf and let Somebody else worry about our problems. Barb

• barb_roselover_in
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Guess what. I fasted today and didn't mean to. Day didn't start right. Making the bed, I accidentally flipped my glasses. Guess where they went. Finding only a one inch space, they slid between the head of the bed and the wall. Talk about a contortionist. I was in every position possible trying to get to those glasses. Had to get an old pair of glasses to see where the new ones had gone. Would have made a good cartoon for the Lockhorns. I had every stick, yardstick,broomstick--you name it. I got down on hands and knees (had a hard time getting up). Moved the dressing table,pushed the mattress down and over to the side. Finally tried one of my sewing tools (a little telescopic rod that has a magnet on the end to pick up steel pins). Carefully, I got it down by laying on my stomach on the bed and sqeezing that between the mattress and the wall,using the little magnet, it latched onto the metal in my glasses and voila, I was able to pull them out. I was so pooped by the time I had done this, worked on the zipper on my coat which came apart and did the laundry that I realized I had not had anything to eat all day. This is all not easy at my age. It's a generational thing, you know. This evening when he brought my mail and told me I had better not go out tomorrow, my son said "You should have called me". Now I have to shovel off my bed, put the laundry away and also file away the numerous things I found under the bed (among my summer clothes in the space bags) That was my "hobby" for today. Barb

• Ziemia
    9 years ago

Well, there, you sure got in a lot of exercise. Nice work. And, about the fasting ---- have you heard of the fasting approach to better health? It's not zero - eating fasting, just major calorie restriction two days a week. And then healthy-ish eating the rest of the time. Let me know if you're curious. (I'm about to be 62 and have some RA and fibro stuff as well.)

• barb_roselover_in
    Original Author
    9 years ago

meanmom- I answered this once today but in the process lost the whole thing and didn't have time to write another. I'm doing something wrong, because right in the middle and doing nothing consciously, I lose it and it goes right to something to do with Xfinity, Happened three times, and I got disgusted. Anyway, when I was living in Texas sometime ago, I worked with a gal who ate normally for Tuesday through Saturday. She ate what she wanted on Sunday and then on Monday she would fast. That was the way she kept her weight under control. I can skip breakfast with no trouble, even doing a brunch and then going til dinnertime. My trouble comes in the evening. I was looking for some healthy snacks this afternoon on the internet and ended up having celery stuffed with peanut butter. My son has been telling me how good the cinnamon almonds are that he found. I had some on hand and I stuck one right in the middle of the peanut butter in each celery. It was good.. I'm sorry to hear you have your medical issues as well. Hard to distinguish what is RA and what is the fibro stuff. Since I had the separated shoulder, a lot of time that is where I have my pain. My oldest son, however, has a rotator cuff problem and suffers that way also. Unpredictable. If I did not exercise to the extent I do, would probably end up in a wheelchair Thanks for the imput. Barb

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville