Spending Breakdown
11 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (7)
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
Related Discussions
Economic breakdown: anyone holding on to their $$....
Comments (6)We've never had a large budget to play with... we raised 3 kids on what seemed like next to nothing, use the barter system as much as we can, and consider ourselves to be pretty frugal... even though our lives feel like one big string of bad luck, we manage fairly well. We'll probably never be rich, even if our supplement business does take off... but I'd much rather be broke, happy and at peace, than loaded and completely frazzled and too busy to take time out for my family and gardening. My spending money actually comes from throwing all my pennies and silver change, along with a few paper dollars, in a jar... I forget about it, and don't ever touch it, until it's time to spend on that plant I've been drooling over. You'd be surprised at how fast that change can add up, if you don't dip into it for anything other than your hobbies, that is! My jar is my "plant fund". I spend it only on orchids and tender bulbs, which I also collect. In just over 6 months time, I managed to amass over $72 in paper and silver... and my husband was sweet enough to throw in a little extra for the orchid show! I went in with just under a hundred dollars, spent around $60, and then had to throw the leftover $40 towards a new alternator for the car... just one more piece of that bad luck that keeps following us around! Instead of getting that latte or ice cream, I throw a few dollars into my jar... and I even stoop so low as to pick up pennies in parking lots... after all, a hundred of them still equal a dollar! Since we don't have stocks and bonds, and we don't gamble with the real estate market or have any other funds tied up in the financial mess out there, I don't think the economic crunch will affect us too badly... other than higher taxes everywhere. If I can raise 3 kids on a very frugal budget, getting by should be easy for the two of us!...See MoreBreakdown
Comments (28)I completely agree with Ima's first post. I went through almost the exact same situation with my FSD. It is completely normal for her age and being from a divorced home. She's probably used to being doted on by her dad and is transitioning out of being a "little girl" to bevcoming a pre-teen. My FDH and I fought for years about this. He never listened to me until BM said something. Then he realized what was going on and that boundaries had to be placed. It took a long time for the boundaries to go up, and then things started becoming more normal. Probably when she was like 11. She is 13 now and has moved away. She visits, but I am seeing the same things return. Like she lays all over my bed. When I tell her to get off my bed she goes "why?" Or she "hunts" down her dad to ask him a stupid question like "can I go ride my bike". By "hunt" I mean she will knock on every door, even the bathroom doors, to find him. Also, she's doing that whispering thing again where she whispers questions to her dad even when all of us are in the same room. Having experienced this now, I'm thinking it's some sort of separaton thing. I think that once relationships are established, her visits will be less stressful. Also, my FSD was wearing a bra at 9 and started her period at 11. I definitely believe girls are maturing much faster than they used to. KKNY also had some great advice on summer programs for the kids....See MoreEnlighten me. Cost breakdown of small full bathroom remodel?
Comments (42)Rebeccamom - My project is scheduled for just after Labor Day. I had to move it out because of work and a family vacation. The extra time has been really great for sourcing and research and I would strongly encourage a 4-6 month window if at all possible. It seems there are so many decisions to be made in a bathroom reno. As far as measurements, my bathroom is a bowling alley! 4.5 feet wide by 11 feet long, not including the shower which is 4 X 2.75 off the long wall. Just to clarify, the $10K estimate is for labor only. I'm trying not to add up the cost of materials as I acquire them. It's painful having expensive taste on a middle class budget!...See MoreEstimate Breakdown in a Cost Plus contract
Comments (39)"...allowances themselves are not evil..." The problems with allowances are really very simple: Builders use allowances in various ways for their own purposes; reputable builders fully inform their owners about how the allowances were conceived; not so reputable builders do not. Many consumers, particularly first time builders, think that their construction cost in the construction contract, which included allowances is a maximum and all inclusive. When they can't get the desired and hoped for materials and work within a given allowance, many consumers are shocked, surprised and dismayed at the additional expenses reflected in the subsequent change orders. Many consumers, particularly first time builders, become overwhelmed by the myriad decisions and limited time frame for the choices which have to be made within the builder's normal construction sequencing and schedule. Waiting until construction to make all of these choices is fine for many experienced folks; it can be never-wracking from many other folks. Read the threads. At the end of the day, allowances all boil down to whether or not they are appropriate and "reasonable" for the nature and quality of the project, and if they reflect the owner's wishes. Think about the beginning of a construction project: how many consumers and builders are exactly on the same page at the time a construction contract is typed up? The too often answer is that each party is in their own individual world, based on their own similar experiences. Where does that leave consumers? If one's budget is large and flexible; If one enjoy shopping for and paying for one's own personal choices; if one's personality doesn't really mind "surprises" of a financial nature, where one or more allowances is insufficient to cover the expenses of an owner's desires; if one enjoys making selection decisions in a short time frame; if one has done all this before and understands how the process works...then allowances may not be much of a bother. On the other hand, if one wants their house priced all inclusively and wants to make the selection decisions up front and have them reflected in the total cost and schedule. the strategy is simple: eliminate all allowances. Everyone has a choice. But knowledge is power!...See More- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
Related Stories

CHRISTMASReal vs. Fake: How to Choose the Right Christmas Tree
Pitting flexibility and ease against cost and the environment can leave anyone flummoxed. This Christmas tree breakdown can help
Full Story
WINDOW TREATMENTSHow to Choose the Right Window Blinds
Get the privacy, light filtering and look you want with this breakdown of blind options
Full Story
REMODELING GUIDESWisdom to Help Your Relationship Survive a Remodel
Spend less time patching up partnerships and more time spackling and sanding with this insight from a Houzz remodeling survey
Full Story
BOOKSBook to Know: 'Marrakesh by Design'
A transplanted design connoisseur shares ways to conjure the enticing feel of Morocco in your home and outdoor rooms
Full Story
WORKING WITH PROSWhat Do Landscape Architects Do?
There are many misconceptions about what landscape architects do. Learn what they bring to a project
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESSo Your Style Is: Traditional
Smitten with classic home design? Use this primer to bring the best of the traditional look to your house
Full Story
BATHROOM DESIGNHow to Choose the Right Toilet
Style, seat height, flushing options, color choice and more will help you shop for the right toilet for you
Full Story
BEDROOMSInside Houzz: A Guide to Updating Your Master Bedroom
Using data from a new Houzz survey, we share how you can better navigate the task of tackling a bedroom project
Full Story
KITCHEN MAKEOVERSKitchen of the Week: Rich Materials, Better Flow and a Garden View
Adding an island and bumping out a bay window improve this kitchen’s layout and outdoor connection
Full Story
DIY PROJECTSHow to Replace a Button on a Tufted Chair
Fix a popped button on a tufted chair back with this upholstery teacher's step-by-step tutorial
Full Story
emma