SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bellsmom

Does anyone know where to buy Mimbres Indian design potholders?

bellsmom
9 years ago

(This is a cross post from the cooking forum)

Please help me if you can.

We all know how some objects we own are special to us. We can either tuck them away in drawers to keep them pristine or use them. I bought these potholders on a trip through the Southwest 15 years ago or so. I probably bought them at a museum in New Mexico, though I am not sure. I do know that there I especially fell in love with Mimbres Indian designs, which are found on pottery remnants from the Mimbres Indians who lived in that area from about the birth of Christ to 1000 AD or so.

Here are my old potholders. I have loved them and used them to scorched and charred tatters.

{{gwi:2134353}}

I have used and loved these potholderts for many years and they are showing their age. (the back sides are far more tattered than the fronts!) I would love to replace them or just buy more, but I cannot find a source. Does anyone know of a source for these or others like them?

If you don't know Mimbres designs, Google Mimbres Indian Pottery. The designs exist today only on pottery fragments. They usually feature animals and geometric designs. They are unique and, to my eye, utterly gorgeous. The pottery was, I believe, intended for use, not decoration. I have read that the assumption is that the potters were women.

Please let me know if you know a source. I would happily buy fabric with these patterns, dish towels, more potholders. . . .

Comments (23)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio