SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
demeterchaos

Bathroom and laundry in a 9x12 space?

demeterchaos
9 years ago

I'm buying my first house and it's a house that's in a sad state of disrepair (should be closing in 20 days!!).

The house is 3-bedrooms, 1.5 bath but with an additional attached "mother in law suite" with a large room (18x26) attached to a small kitchenette and then a full bathroom area.

Because the house needs ENTIRELY redone (it's really bad) I am thinking to move into the one-bedroom mother-in-law suite while I work on the rest of the house and thus rennovating the kitchenette and the full bathroom first.

The bathroom is currently set up like this:

You walk in the room (no door from kitchenette) on the very left side of the room. There is 6' of space in front of you and 9' total width. This room has a vanity and what appears to be washer and dryer hookups.

Immediately in front of you (also against the left wall) is a door. Opening this door reveals a small closet in front of you, cramped toliet to your left, and a small shower in the right corner. All are very old and *shudders* I would never use them in their current state.

Because I have to rent a dumpster anyways to clear out some other refuse in the house, I am thinking just to tear down the wall between these two spaces and making it one large room.

This would mean a 9'x12' space with the door on the left side of one of the 9' walls like such

---------
---------
---------
---------
---------
---------
D-------

I like the idea of keeping laundry in this space so I don't have to go down into the basement of the house to do laundry. Because of the size constraints, a stacked washer and dryer I think would be a great option.

Any thoughts on a good layout of this space? I'm ripping everything out including the floor and there's nothing below this part of the house so I really have full layout options.

In the other parts of the house there is a bathroom with a tub and double vanity and then a half bath that I MIGHT make into a half + shower (it's a 4'x9' space). Here should I put a tub or shower?

Comments (5)