SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
charitycomposter

Food stock variety

charitycomposter
9 years ago

Found this online in a university research paper on Vermicomposting. When I finish reading it I'll share the link if it proves to be helpful.

"An operator/owner of a successful large scale flow through vermicompost operation offered some very important advice. He recommended that it was very important to not think of the worms as a waste disposal system that could survive on whatever was provided as feed. Instead a key factor for long term success is to think of the worms as livestock that require a balanced diet. Like humans or livestock, worms can survive for an extended time with less than a balanced diet, but not for ever. The more balanced the diet the better expectations for the worms and the worm compost. This is consistent with the view that the overall inputs made with bedding and feed must be balanced from a carbon to nitrogen perspective as with thermophilic composting."

I can see the wisdom of this but I also realize some worms live their entire lives in horse manure piles (granted, a varied source of food in and of itself) and some large-scale vermicomposters feed their verd almost exclusively on the single feed stock of spend brewery grains. That being said, intuitively this seems like good advice. Thoughts?

Comments (26)

• barbararose21101
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Geeorge Hahn addresses this. It was in an obnoxious YouTube video.

Kitchen scraps + horse manure + egg shells gets us close.
    Hahn recommended some unusual protein sources.
    We have some posts on this in EQ's 220 million can't be wrong thread.

The thread is wild fun with a good paragraph from Chuckiebtoo.

Here is a link that might be useful: 220 million can't be wrong

This post was edited by barbararose21101 on Fri, Jan 2, 15 at 10:45

• charitycomposter
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the input, Barbara. Watched the video (realized I'd started it in my earlier research but didn't finish it because of the infomercial feel) and read the "220 Million" thread. Good info. The thread brought up another question. I include vegetable/melon/non acidic fruit scraps, horse manure, spent coffee grounds, and pulverized egg shells in my feed stock. I'm not going to use hair or toenails. That's just gross and almost seems like a "think I can get people to do this?" dare. But what about the crab leg shells? Red Lobster goes through lots of those. Would cleaned and pulverized crab leg shells add something of enough importance to mess with it?

• Related Discussions

Will more food be going extinct - 'Future of Food'

Q

Comments (28)
    I am baffled because I have the opposite point of view entirely. Has anyone ever thought about what your ancestor Gunter in Germany was eating a thousand years ago? Probably cabbage, cabbage, cabbage, onions, garlic, barley, cabbage, pork, and turnips. How about Earnest in England?... pretty much the same. Far from food going extinct, I think there is tremendous diversity now in food production. Industrial production might require GM and capitalization of research through protection of intellectual property, but the fact remains that you are eating tomatoes, kohlrabi, six kinds of lettuce, two kinds of carrots, brussels sprouts, etc. All of those are robust and are grown as millions of mini varieties in gardens all over the world. I mean EVERYWHERE. Seed banks, seed companies, and people's dresser drawers hold huge stores of DNA, all slightly different. In five minutes, I could buy 100 different packets of seeds at the hardware store. Was that even possible in the 50s? And that is F1 or F2. Some okra farmer in Alabama has seeds produced through 50 crosses. People can and do create and study their own cultivars of darn near everything every season and then trade them internationally. How will that change? Activism is all well and good, but GM and Mxxxxxxo are small in the big picture and probably getting smaller. Remember that they have to invest millions in a cultivar just to get it to a commercial seed stage. How many cultivars can they do that with? And they and their timing are going to be wrong how often? Monsanto is not a juggernaut, it is a riverboat gambler. The bigger it gets, the bigger it bets. For better or worse, some gardener in China has a seed that is better than what Mxxxxxxo has got, and it is only a matter of time before the rest of the world finds out about it. In Japan, a single pumpkin seed can sell for hundreds of dollars. Mxxxxxxo has not moved in on that action, and it never will. The market is fuelled by enthusiasts and connisseurs. If the market gets cornered, people will immediately lose interest. Viewed in terms of sheer greed, it is in Mxxxxxxo's interest to maintain wild type specimens in environments all over the world. Even if Mxxxxxxo could sell one type of tomato seed that would make all others extinct, it would not do it. Has anyone considered that? Well, I guess that is enough. I could give 20 more examples. Viewed from a wider perspective, food diversity has never been better. And I will not be buying Mxxxxxxo stock. I should watch more TV, it sounds very entertaining.
    ...See More

How many varieties of food plants do you grow?

Q

Comments (32)
    Okay, here's mine' Tomatoe - watermelon beefsteak Tomatoe - Hawaiin Pineapple Tomatoe - Stupice Green pepper - Ace Corn Bush Green beans Garlic Kale Mesclun mix Bokchoy Winter squash x 3 - Acorn, Pink banana, Butternut Cukes x 1 - straight 8 Carrots - Danvers Broccoli x 1 Onions x 1 Thyme x1 Marjoram x1 Basil x 2 Lavender x 2 Borage (to keep away the hornworms) Chives x 1 Highbush Blueberry x 4 Raspberries x 1 Red Potatoes x 1 Summer squash x 3 - Yellow, Pattypan, Zuccini Sweet Potato - Beauragard (sp)? 1st year and its in the greenhouse raised bed.
    ...See More

Scion Fruit Quality Depends on Stock Variety ?

Q

Comments (5)
    Yes, it is definitely true. The rootstock variety influences the "strength" of the scion fruit flavor, especially the brix content (sugar concentration) and the degree of tartness (acid concentration). It does NOT affect flavor qualitatively -- by that I mean that if it's a mandarin, it will always taste like a mandarin, NOT picking up any flavor of grapefruit, lemon, or whatever roots you put it on. It is also true that grapefruit, used as a stock, tends to give its scion fruits a bland, watered-down flavor. Here's a list of some of the common rootstocks: Very best quality fruit in the scion: sour orange Poncirus trifoliata Excellent quality fruit in the scion: Swingle and some of the other citrumelos Cleopatra, Sun Chu Sha, and other mandarins (good flavor, but may cause some varieties to produce small fruit, which matures later in the season) Decent-good quality: Carrizo, Troyer, and other citranges Poor quality: rough lemon rangpur lime Very poor quality: C. macrophylla Abominable quality: grapefruit
    ...See More

Food, food, food, remember this old classic?

Q

Comments (28)
    The kids and I LOVE Tuna Casserole. DH HATES it! We don't have it anymore, but now I am thinking the heck with him, I want it! LOL I make it like this. Cook a 8 oz bag of egg noodles. Drain and cool slightly. Put in casserole with 1 can tuna 1/2 cup Miracle Whip about 1 cup diced celery and 1/3 cup chopped onion 1/2 cup milk Mix all ingredients. Heat one can cream of celery soup and 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese until cheese is melted. Add to cooked noodle mixture. Salt and pepper it. Top with crushed potato chips. Bake at 425 about 20 minutes.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    equinoxequinox
    9 years ago

Note the video that I probably posted originally is 17:00 minuets too long. I would skip the non highlighted parts. The best review in a nutshell I can do right now is: Starts at 5:50 to 12:20. Not all worm castings are created equal: 15:30 to 16:40.

220 million can't be wrong:
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/verm/msg0503510020479.html

Relates to the topic due to toe nails added to vermicompost.

This post was edited by equinoxequinox on Fri, Jan 2, 15 at 19:54

• chuckiebtoo
    9 years ago

charitycomposter: IMHO, crab leg shells would be a terrible thing to add to a vibrant, active worm bin. They're gonna lay there a long time (like toenails) and get in your way when feeding, or separating, or removing things like toenails and crab leg shells.

They ain't gonna eat crab leg shells for a loooooong time. Probably longer than a worms life expectancy. Or even a wormers.

Try to restrict inputting things that take lots longer to decompose than a bad credit rating.

chuckiebtoo

• organican
    9 years ago

I respectfully disagree about the addition of crab shell to an active vermicompost bin or even as a soil ammenment with one caveat ...... It's much more useful and breaks down much faster if its pulverized or turned into a powder.

It's sometimes available as a byproduct of the shellfish industry and sold as a soil amendment called "crab meal". I have even seen that Neptune's Harvest has started selling bags of it as a soil amendment -but unfortunately they have not invested the resources to fully powderize it and instead sell it in the form of mostly smaller chunks of shell. Even the larger shell bits break down rapidly within a few weeks to a month in my bins .... but as in anything - YMMV

In fact, one of the better producers of commercial compost uses crab/lobster shell meal as a vital component in their lines of composts - Coast Of Maine Coddy Lobster Compost

I could of course be completely misguided, missinformed and drawing conclusions from purely anecdotal observations as well as suspect scientific data however ...... IMO, besides my staple " food" additions of various organic raised livestock manures .... both crab meal as well as neem and/or karanja meal are some of the most highly desirable " food" additions within my own vermicompost bins for various reasons. If interested in the possible benefits of such additions to a worm bin... One would be much better informed by making use of a decent search engine like google scholar etc, than having me lamely attempt a useful and understandable explaination.

For the sake of full disclosure .... I only have one large (90 gal) bin containing commercially sourced red wiggler worm stock. All of my other bins contain worm stock "wild" harvested from massive piles of various manures that a local certified organic ranching operation piles up to age/compost before spreading out amoungst their various livestock grazing fields.

The amount of worms which so quickly invade these many small sized "mountains" of manure are beyond astonishing! They may be some local variant of red wiggler but one thing is for sure and that is they are most definitely a manure/composting worm species. They look and behave (within my bins anyhow) just like the commercially available red wigglers with a few exceptions. They sometimes have what appears to be a slight yellowish tinge of color to their "tail end". This coloration is much more pronounced when in the manure piles verses being in my bins for a length of time but this could be the result of multiple variables like lighting etc (ie: viewing under sunlight verses a dim light bulb etc)....And... The wild collected worms seem to congregate and/or feed at deeper depths than the commercial red wigglers and definitely have a preference/tollerence for much wetter conditions than those residing within my red wiggler bin.

I only mention my different worm sources as its certainly possible that it may make a difference with how quickly crab meal decomposes to where the worms can actually make use of it. I haven't personally noted much of a difference (if any) in the absorption of crab meal additions to any of my bins including the red wiggler one.

As with adding anything to an active vermicompost bin - Moderation is vital to success and using larger bins like myself can allow a much more forgiving response should the inevitable errors or erroneously thought out actions occur by the "keeper" which can at worst cause the worms harm and at best really piss them off making them all want to "bail ship".

Disclaimer: It's quite possible and maybe even likely that I don't have the slightest idea of what I'm doing or talking about. So as usual.... Always proceed with the utmost attitude of suspicious caution yet still maintain an open mind.

• 11otis
    9 years ago

Crab Shells: A friend told me that it is good for plants and to bury them in the garden. I cannot be bothered to wash crab shells clean so I have always added them to my backyard composter. If rats get in there, so be it. At least it would not mess up my garden. It will take about a month to disappear. I also think all that crab "good" stuff left there that's not for human (or just me) consumption will convert to good rich compost.
    However, the next time I buy crabs, I will wash the shell (not the leg-shells) and put it/them in my worm bin. They are a source of calcium.
    What I have observed in the compost bin, with time the shells became brittle, I imagine from the "absorption" of acid in the pile. That's when I smashed them with my spade and found "volunteer" worms hiding.

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    9 years ago

otis11 that reads like a good night bedtime horror story for tiny, little future vermicomposterettes and vericomposterottes. It is just as terrifying as when grandma, the one with really big ears and teeth took off her nightcap and smiled at little red ridding hood.

In a bit of horror story of my own, when I am done stirring my cauldron of just less than simmering temperature marrow, joint, tail, back bones to make my bone broth. The same that I have grabbed a few chicken feet before they went into the pot. Pulled on the two tendons to make the chicken toes with long, pointy nails on, wiggle in an active grasping motion, made roaring dinosaur noises and as bad little boys are sometimes wan to do, chased my big sister around the house with her screaming like a girl in fear. LOL.

After boiling the bones a few times for a few days each time they are pretty brittle. The chicken bones are vanished. The rest should crush by hand or crush when put between two pieces of cardboard and driven over with my truck.

Sadly, nobody ever lets me do that. They insist the bones are garbage and need to be thrown away.

The closest I have gotten is biocharing a number of rib bones. I must report that when complete, they still smell, they are still a bit oily, but they do crush up mighty satisfyingly in just one hand. I'm pretty sure some wee beasties somewhere think they have died and gone to wee beastie heaven.

Crab shells I would wonder if the sun would be effective on. But I can relate to not wanting to see some worm bin additives every day for the rest of my life.

Those crab shell worms probably thought they were inside of an egg shell and had a bit of privacy. Their twosome is now a foursome.

• hummersteve
    9 years ago

Bio char, rock dust , mineral dust. Is there a need to consider adding this stuff to a bin even if you can find it. When I first received my worm factory they give you a fast start bedding group to start and included is a small bag of so called rock dust. To me sounds like a money grab. Here I am thinking we should just use left overs of what we already come in our everyday life. whether that be , horse manure, fruit scraps, veggie scraps, newspapers, cardboard, eggshells, etc. There are many vids online above mentioned rock dust that its the best thing since gold was discovered and the price to get it is not cheap. Well I dont have or use those first three Items I mentioned and my worms seem to be doing just fine and every thing I give them seems to be used . Im thinking the eggshells pulverized will suffice. The diet Im giving them will have to do as it seems to be working. Granted Im gradually learning a thing or two as time goes by from the ole experts on this forum and will continue to learn from hopefully.

• nexev - Zone 8b
    9 years ago

Steve, from my uneducated perspective on this those three things you mentioned are all long lasting additives that will benefit soil health on ongoing terms. The second two by their availability to plants in a homogenized water soluble form and the first by providing both surface area for bacterial life and moisture holding capacity.

So castings without these additions will surely still be rich in bacterial life and nutrients for our plants in the near term though with these additions the usefulness of the castings can be extended over a greater span of time.

• organican
    9 years ago

Rock Dust:

I consider it essential in both my soils and vermi bins for a myriad of reasons. The easiest explanation for this lazy gardener to explain in a few words would be as Nexev pointed out above ...... Rock dust provides a "home" or "anchor" for all the beneficial micro-beasties. Having said that ..... Your worms, soil and plants will very likely do just fine without it. Also, keep in mind that this additive is a "once and done" amendment. It's one of those rare amendments that will likely take many multiple lifetimes to break down or be "adsorbed". I use a ratio of about 3 or 4 cups per cubic foot of soil ... Others feel that ratio to be excessive so as always ..... YMMV.

Being the frugal individual I am (ie: cheap + poor ol' bastid) I also could not find any wisdom in purchasing rocks and shipping them just because they have been pulverized into a fine talcum like powder.

For me, one great allure of organics is to NOT use some cookie cutter recipe and simply buy all ingredients then mix as directed ....... BORING!

Improvisation and adaptation is good enough for Mom Nature so why not me? I only buy stuff for my garden or vermicompost bins on the very, very rare occasion that I simply must as it cant be found local, foraged, adapted, modified or substituted.

I'm betting that anyone reading this has access to some form of decent rock dust within a 1 hr drive of their house. Granite and or basalt are two great choices followed by glacial rock dust sooooooo....

Any rock quarries nearby? How about tombstone carvers? Or maybe granite countertop suppliers/fabricators/manufacturers? Landscape supply centers? Etc etc. Your options are only limited by your imagination and perseverance.
    Of course one should always make sure that when using any manufacturing or fabrication "waste" product that its not contaminated with any form of chemical additive put there to help facilitate their work ... ie: lubricants, dye's, epoxy binders etc. Just ask them .... They will know

Now if one did live in the polar ice cap region and simply could not access rock dust without heavy equipment and explosives ...... Or their conformist training and consumeristic desires of instant gratification are so strong that they simply must follow others identically and therefore purchase ... ummmmm .. Rocks made into very fine dust. Then I would highly recommend .... rockdustlocal.com

Its probably one of if not the most reasonably priced places for one to purchase rock dust anywhere within the USA and it's all sourced/shipped right from your own various regional localized sources. Localy sourcing materials is important so your not shipping rocks clear across country which in my feeble mind is seriously selfish and incredibly wasteful of our limited resources .... Oh.... And not to mention stupid expensive.

No... I'm not afiliated in any way with this supplier. But I do think its an interesting business model.

Disclaimer: It's quite possible and maybe even likely that I really don't have the slightest idea of what I'm doing or talking about. So as usual.... Always proceed with the utmost attitude of suspicious caution ... yet still maintain the wisdom of an open mind.

• hummersteve
    9 years ago

Ok so I by passed the "220 million" for a long while and now that I viewed it interesting info. Appears Im limited as I have no source for true horse manure.. I mainly just have the kitchen scraps, cardboard , shredded paper, melon rinds, egg shells and cornmeal. Not likely I would add toenails.

The other day I was weeding out old credit cards from mybins which were blue . I had forgotten that I had those go thru my shredder and added to my bin along with junk mail. Im sure toenails would end up the same way.

I dont eat crabs so those shells wont end up in my bins. I need to work a little harder to see if I can find a source of horse manure. If I understand this correctly though that item by itself is not all its cracked up to be . Many have claimed it to be the total package in one food source but after viewing this vid blows the lid off that theory. So how many of us who think we are feeding and getting a max result from our castings actually have a long way to go.

• mendopete
    9 years ago

Here is a pic I took of two abalone shells. The largest is over 9" long. The shells are usually pretty thick and tough.
    I put these shells in a bin when I first started for fun. Worms quickly took up residence, and shells became a favorite spot. These shells were continually in worm bins and castings for about 3 years, getting recycled back at harvest.
    It's amazing to see abalone shells break down like this.

I am going to a crab-feed this weekend with 2500 lbs of crab served. The shells would be a good score for worms if someone wanted to hot compost them first. That would likely smell really bad!

Good luck and have fun.

Pete

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    9 years ago

mendopete, I'm noticing GardenWeb does not have a like button. I'll make one.

LIKE!

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    9 years ago

With the title of the thread being "Food Stock Variety" I can say I this is certainly variety. I have never read another post that talked about abalone shell never mind one that showed pictures. It must have been like being inside an ostrich egg for the worms.

• organican
    9 years ago

I'll second EQ's "LIKE" and raise it to a very rare "eFing AMAZING!!"

Thank you very much MendoPete for not only sharing your little experiment but for also sharing that simply mind blowing picture!!!

For complete appreciation of such miracles of vermicomposting and microbe wrangling, one should understand (should they not be familiar with abalone)...... Their shells are simply incredibly dense, thick and heavy.

Truly a testament to the shear power worms and microbes have when working in unison ..... All told in one simple picture.

Love it!

• hummersteve
    9 years ago

For those that may have been worried about what to do as far as food if they would be gone for an extended time , Im sure as someone else mentioned there is already going to be a lot of food in your bin that we cant see. Also that is a good reason for keeping a nice fluffy layer of moist shredded or not newsprint and can and will always munch at on that for quite some time , just sayin.

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    9 years ago

chuckiebtoo: Easy to admire is the well defined duel system capability specifically designed right into the very structure thus making vermicompost comparison analysis much easier for those not used to the more difficult and less simplified multi system conglomerations we so often see being bounced around . There will be no bouncing with this worm errr... house. What do you call it? Until you decide I am nick naming it DTABOR for Duel Testing Arbitrator Box Of Reason. Twin compartments will securely keep test material separate while maintaining identical situational enviornments of temperature, moisture, humidity, noise, vibration, light, and even the tilt could easily be adjusted to the same precise degree off horizontal. I imagined during the first six viewings of the picture above my mutant side loved that this new system can compost up two sides at once. So at least two of us get what we want. Like a great board. The size of each compartment is just right along with the inside Contour. Pure genius chuckiebtoo, possibly evil. Why did somebody here not think of this simple yet elegant system before. Why didn't I think of it? Momma always said "Life was like a box of chocolates." I hate it when I can't like a post six times. This is gonna take a while to eighty six.

~ Sara Oscar Sidner

• charitycomposter
    Original Author
    9 years ago

CB2 - From my many weeks of vermicomposting experience I have to say, IMO, that your attempt at adding some grit may be a little oversized. At least I'd hate to see the size worm that could consume that block.

• chuckiebtoo
    9 years ago

A smattering of confusion seems to have enveloped this conversation with a cloud of indecisiveness with regard to the things we choose to add to the environments we create for our worms. Smattering being both an awesome, but little used adjective to describe the amount of total havoc being wreaked upon vermicomposting in general, and our vermicomposters in particular.

I thought about this situation for a couple of minutes after reading the immediate response to my most recent post here and decided to re-read the complete thread because all of us are guilty sometimes of reading a little bit of a thread if we feel like it which gives us sometimes skewed ideas about what the hell is going on in the thread....because, you know, a thread is a series of, uh...threadettes.

Now, if I may for a moment become serious, let me say this: All that rhetoric you will stumble upon in the vastness of the "information" floating around out there about worming is, like life, many times ridiculously full of sh*t.

But let me explain: Because worms are composters of organic materials, all organic materials theoretically can be composted by worms. That is not to say that worms will opt to compost materials like say.....toenails, or sea creature shells, or concrete blocks if organic options like fruit or veggies or materials pre-composted by creatures like horses are available to them on the same menu. In fact, it is a reliable and easily provable fact that such is not the case.

In olden times, when guys were without TV's, or PC's, or VCR's, Google, laptops, libraries, Ask.com, porno, or stuff to occupy their time, they would go out into the open and try to prove to themselves that stuff they were thinking about could be true, or maybe not. That's how they learned that certain stuff was, and remains, less desirable as a consumable than stuff that laid around forever being dis-interesting to any organic composting critters.

One exception......the termite....is out there dispelling lots of everything I've just said. I can only offer as a explanation that the termite is an anomaly.

Worms wanna eat good stuff. Faster composting is better than erosion-speed "composting", which is...erosion. Now, when toenails, and bones, and hair, and a grandpa in a casket are placed in an out-of-the-way place to proceed with...erosion, composting worms are never part of the equation.

We vermicomposters are trying to fool Mother Nature by speeding up the process of composting by maximizing the rate of composting. Concrete blocks offer little incentive to the wormies.

People (entities) who sometimes offer suggestions that certain organic materials can be viable stuff to use in vermicomposting systems do so because a wealth of those materials are laying around where they are. That's why foodstuff materials are highly recommended by peeps with lots of those waste foodstuffs laying around. Same for pedicurists, hairdressers, and shellfishermen, as well as masonry workers. .

And lastly, never put stuff into your worm homes that you don't wanna deal with for any length of time with your hands.

cb2

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    9 years ago

I mis-remembered. It wasn't a box of chocolates mama said. Must of been somebody else's of mama. My mama said I was Dumber Than A Box Of Rocks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiBGX6HDZSQ 0:05 to 0:10

• hummersteve
    9 years ago

In staying with the theme of the original author of this thread referring to a little more balance of food yesterday I fixed the eggshells I had on hand pulverized it and added some corn meal to it. In checking the bins today I see the worms are all over the new mix spread out evenly over the bins. Usually I will see them more congregated where the food is . So whether you wish to call it just grit or a combo food and grit they were loving it. I admit I had not give them this treat for a while. Guess I need to add it more often.

• nexev - Zone 8b
    9 years ago

Along with being composters of organic matter worms homogenize mineral matter into that compost so finely dispersed making it soluble so that plants have immediate access to it.

Curious to see if you get results with your cinderblock like Pete did with those abalone shells.

• Shaul
    9 years ago

CB2;
    The D in DTABOR is Dual. Duel is two worms facing off against each other with Swords or Pistols.

Shaul (aka shaul_gw)

• barbararose21101
    8 years ago

Charity:

Please try to PM ( send me a private message ) . One of my emails is on this site,

accessible by clicking on the icon where a photo would go.

• charitycomposter
    Original Author
    8 years ago

@Barbara - I've been away for a few months dealing with cancer treatments. Just saw this comment. I can't find your email to PM you.