SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sutekesh

budding versus grafting

s
9 years ago

Sorry that should read budding versus rooting
Hi,
This is my first post. I am new to this forum, only just register this month, but have been following it for quite a while now, ever since I first got bitten by the bug:), so please excuse me for elaborating a little.

I started experimenting with propagating about four years ago after I lost a standard (amongst others) to an extremely cold winter. The rootstock survived and sent out a lot of shoots which got me thinking. That was when I discovered this forum, amongst others. What to do with them? So I budded a couple with some of my own roses as well as florist roses. To my surprise, nearly all of them took. From then on there was no stopping me. I wanted to try my hand at everything; air layering (100% success), cuttings (30%) and doing my own crosses.

Last autumn I decided to try winter rooting indoors because I thought that under a controlled environment I might get a better success rate. I did, with the cuttings from my own garden - 75%. I also took one cutting of a particularly nice seedling (germinated extremely late) which flowered under my lights. It rooted in just under three weeks and is actually about to bloom!

So I thought I would try rooting some florist roses. I got myself a couple of long-stem hybrid teas from a florist on a Saturday morning early December as well as a bunch of striped floribundas from the local supermarket.

The result - all of the floribundas rooted but only one of the hybrid teas - the others all turned black. I don't know if I was just lucky with the floribundas but I have read somewhere that florist roses are somehow treated to make them last longer and this also makes it more difficult to root them. I cannot think of another reason for nearly all of them to turn black. They were treated just the same as the cuttings from my garden.

From my experiments, it seems budding florist roses is more successful than trying to root them.

So now to my question: has anyone budded florist roses and then tried to root cuttings from them once they produce soft wood? Would it be more successful than trying to root the cut flowers from the florist? I want to try myself this season but would be grateful for any comments and pointers.

This post was edited by sutekesh on Wed, Jan 28, 15 at 13:54

Comments (11)