SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tyson0317

Pumice Stones over my blueberries

Tyson0317
9 years ago

A few years ago we planted a bunch of blueberry bushes around our West Seattle house. These are sizable plants of various verieties and yield probably about 1.5 gallons of berries each. Originally we had put bark around the bushes but within a season the bark became fertile enough for weeds to start growing in it. Last summer I removed the bark and put a new layer of the weed barrier (the cloth-like stuff that lets water through but is not supposed to let weeds poke through it.) I have been indecisive on what to put on top of the barrier. Instead of doing bark (which failed too quickly) or gravel (which is somewhat ugly), I really would like the look of red pumice stone. However, I don't know if the pumice will leech anything into the soil that the blueberries may not like. I know that blueberries like a bit of acidic soil and I would guess that the pumice itself would have the wrong pH if rain water or something dissolves it.

The bushes have rigged under-cover irrigation - I ran a hose under the weed-block stuff and drilled holes in the hose near the bases of the bushes. I am not worried about the porous pumice sucking up rain water.

Anyone know if the pumice will hurt my blueberries?

Comments (7)