SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
organic_kitten

Update on the Saga of Bella

organic_kitten
9 years ago

Last daylily season, I posted photos and stories on Bella the young feral cat I had been feeding and gradually taming outside.

{{gwi:2124904}}

Initially she was so scared that if she saw me throw a bit of chicken in her direction, she would run and hide, but gradually tamed to take the chicken from my hand, then crawl in my lap to get more chicken than Gus the other cat who had found me.

I learned to pet her while she was eating, and eventually could actually pick her up. But I got scratched pretty well (palm) the first time I tried to put her in a carrier, to take her to get her spaded.

The next time we scheduled her surgery, I enticed her into the carrier by putting a piece of chicken in the carrier...she went right in this time, and it was off to the vet.

We brought her home and transferred her to a large rabbit cage for recovery time. I put a dish pan on one side for a litter box, and added some mulch to the cat sand. She spent a good part of her days in the cage for a week while she healed from the surgery. While he was in the cage, she became accustomed to the Chihuahas and the other cats in the house and did not run from or fight them when she was freed.

She is now a very loving inside cat. She often comes to the office and climbs in my lap and proceeds to love me and kiss me and spends a lot of time lying across my chair.

{{gwi:2124905}}

And decides to "clean" and nip my earlobe

{{gwi:2124906}}

But is careful to give a lot of love

{{gwi:2124907}}

I think it means feral cats can be tamed if done slowly, and if they haven't been mistreated by anyone before you "meet" them...it helps that she was only about six months old when she first discovered me feeding Gus. And then there is Murphy...but that is another story. I hope everyone's New Year has started out well. Looking forward to spring.

Kay

Comments (15)