SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

Update on ongoing shingles vaccine saga . . .

l pinkmountain
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Thought I would update everyone here on my experience with finding a way to get a shingles vaccine. I had originally posted here asking for folks to share their experiences. Nobody much mentioned cost, but for me it was an issue. I have generally poor albeit expensive insurance coverage that I pay for myself, not employee provided. Big deductible. Hubs has Medicare plus a supplemental plan, which is expensive and we are also finding is rather poor as far as what is covered. High cost is what has prevented me from getting shingles vaccine previously, weighing risk of getting shingles (I had chickenpox as a kids so could get shingles now as an adult) vs the cost. At a younger age, and before the Affordable Health Care Act, I opted out due to high cost vs not excessive risk. But now I have passed the magic 60, plus who knows what challenges lie ahead for my immune system other than shingles . . .

Called commercial pharmacies, local health department and my doctor. BTW, my doctor is MIA right now, changing the location of her office, and I am trying to move to another practice closer to home since I too have moved . . . Found out the pharmacies and health department offer the vaccine but at a cost of $260 per shot. Due to being on Medicare, hubs got $30 off of each shot. They also said that they could help me submit an insurance re-imbursement but it would take a long time, best to get it from my doctor and they would bill the insurance company directly if covered. My doctor did not offer the shot.

Next step was to try and find a new doctor, and to find out if my insurance covered any of the cost of the shingles vaccine and if so, how much of it. Finally heard back from them that YAY, the shingles vaccine was now covered 100% THANKS TO PROVISIONS IN THE AFFORDABLE HEALTH CARE ACT. However, unless billed through my doctor's office, I would have to pay out of pocket and then submit a reimbursement form. I finished selecting new doctor, bearing this in mind. Found a practice nearby that offered shots and blood draws, two common services I use. Doctor only comes to town twice a week, but a physicians assistant and nurse practitioner there every day. Great organized office. New patient appointment coming up October 5, will get first shingles shot then.

Now TODAY I get a call that my PA "unexpectedly" left the practice yesterday, with no prior notice, so my appointment is off. Next available Nov. 5. Not going to be able to replace her until beginning of next year so that practice is scrambling now.

So I am basically back to almost square one. Wondering whether to wait or to just bite the bullet and pay for vaccine and wait for reimbursement. Who knows what will happen as the Republicans are bent on repealing the Affordable Health Care Act one way or the other so the public health vaccine provisions may disappear. Also submitting the reimbursement by mail might become tricky as our public mail service is being gutted by the current administrators. I know this sounds "political", but it is a straight up set of facts.

Comments (25)