SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stan_

Sour Cherry in Northern California

stan_
9 years ago

Hi,

I am a huge fan of fresh sour cherries. However, standard "pie cherry" varieties grown in the US (such as Montmorency, English Morello, North Star, etc.) are too sour for my taste (for eating fresh from the tree). I grew up in Ukraine where we had fabulous sour cherries ("vishnya" in Russian): large juicy fruits with very dark purple (almost black) skin and flesh and an incredible taste that was both tart and very sweet at the same time. We also had great sweet cherries ("chereshnya" in Russian), but sour cherries were special due to that exceptional combination of sweetness, tartness, and juiciness. When I was a boy, I could sit down with a book and a half-gallon bucket of these sour cherries and finish them in an hour.

Now I have a decent-size garden in a semi-rural area near Tracy, and I want to grow my own sour cherries (among many other fruits). However, as I said, I like my tart cherries fresh from the tree and therefore I don't want to spend garden space, time, and effort on standard ("pie cherry") varieties mentioned above. I consider mostly two types of sour cherries (described below) and would very much appreciate advice, comments, and opinions from anyone who has experience with growing any of these varieties in California. I'm in USDA zone 9 (border of Sunset zones 9 and 14), with typically 800-900 chill hours per winter.

The first type are Hungarian sour cherry cultivars Danube, Jubileum, and Balaton (adapted for the US in Michigan State University). According to descriptions, they are sufficiently sweet to be eaten fresh (although their fruits seem lighter in color and thus probably somewhat tarter than those of Ukrainian varieties). I would like to know how well these cultivars grow and fruit in the California climate and also how do you like their taste.

The second type are dwarf sour cherry cultivars Carmine Jewel, Crimson Passion, Romeo, Juliet, and Cupid (Prunus cerasus x P. fruticosa hybrids bred in Univ. of Saskatchewan, see http://www.fruit.usask.ca/dwarfsourcherries.html). According to descriptions and pictures, these sour cherries are very similar to what I expect, with dark fruit color and high sugar content. However, they have been bred to be very hardy (up to Zone 2) and are recommended for Zones 2-8. Therefore, I wonder whether they will fruit well (or at all) in a hotter climate of Zone 9. I know that some sweet cherry cultivars recommended for Zones 5-7 (like Black Tartarian or Royal Ann) nevertheless fruit reasonably well in my area, so I would like to believe that these dwarf sour cherries will produce fruit in Zone 9. I will be grateful to anybody who can share their experiences with growing these varieties. Also, I noted that some of the few nurseries that sell these trees in the US do not ship them to California (it appears like they initially did sell these cultivars to California in late 2000s but then stopped circa 2011). Is there any ban that exists in California for bringing in these sour cherry trees?

Thank you very much in advance.
Stan

Comments (20)