SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

I've Just Dynamited My Color Palette

Anyone who's been here for a while has heard me go on about how I prefer cool, soft colors in my roses so as not to clash with the surrounding natural scenery. I've given away the excellent Julia Child because of this and disposed of other roses for similar reasons.

You might be surprised to find that my last two available spots, which are adjacent to each other, are going to the brilliantly deep pink rose Grand Dame and the strongly apricot Carding Mill. There is a method to the madness, however. These roses are on the "bad" side of the house that has mostly morning shade and scorching afternoon sun. Both of these roses do very well in the heat, bloom a lot and have very little disease. Quite a few roses have failed in this location and I was determined to have roses that will be healthy and floriferous in that setting. Fortunately there is no background of hills since this side overlooks the valley and the roses are near the house so I'm hoping my planned faux pas will somehow work out. Chamblee's finally has Carding Mill again and this rose is becoming somewhat difficult to find elsewhere, so I ordered it the moment I saw it there. After a dismal year in the garden because of the long-lasting drought I decided that any rose I put in has to be very tough in addition to being beautiful. In spite of a hopefully rainy winter the reality of the future is more drought and greater heat. Color considerations will have to play a lesser role; it's all about survival now.

Ingrid

Comments (9)