SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brandon7_gw

Blight-resistant American Chestnut Trees

Want a 99.995% pure American chestnut tree that is as blight resistant as it's Chinese relative? Just add wheat...

Blight-resistant American chestnut trees take root at SUNY-ESF

Comments (30)

• Socal2warm
    9 years ago

Hmm, restoring nature back to its original condition using genetically modified versions of the trees that were lost. I'm a little conflicted whether this is a good thing.

Makes me wonder how all those American chestnut trees survived so long in their natural environment, only to be rapidly taken out by a simple disease (which happened coincidentally at around the same time humans began moving in and changing the landscape). I suspect there were additional human-caused environmental factors that led to the trees becoming more susceptible to disease in the first place.

• drrich2
    9 years ago

Very interesting. This blurb from the linked article in particular:

"Powell and his team were responsible for finding and testing genes that would protect the tree. His background research on the blight fungus led the way to the successful use of a wheat oxalate oxidase gene. This gene doesn't hurt the fungus, but instead detoxifies the acid used by the fungus to attack the tree, essentially changing the fungus from a pathogen to a saprophyte that lives on the bark of the tree without causing significant harm."

Sounds to me like it's the true American chestnut, with an intact genome, to which has been added 2 genes to counter act a foreign pathogen.

Compared to the non-genetically modified plants we dump pesticides on, seems environmentally friendlier.

Perhaps we'll soon be discussing the relative merits & con.s or American chestnut as a yard tree. Assuming you &/or your kids/pets don't want to walk barefoot where those spiny nut covers fall...

Richard.

• Related Discussions

Blight resistant American Chestnuts

Q

Comments (1)
    That's good to hear, though I do hope that reintroduction doesn't end up tied down with red tape forever.
    ...See More

American Chestnut Tree

Q

Comments (23)
    Thought some of you might enjoy reading this! Rare chestnut tree still survives in Ohio State official let it slip that one mature tree stands in Ohio; its exact location is protected. Staff and Wire Reports Tuesday, March 25, 2008 SANDUSKY For about seven years, the state's natural resources leaders have harbored a secret. They still won't reveal the exact location of it or allow outsiders to see it. This Ohio treasure's existence was closely guarded until last week when the director of the Ohio Department of Natural Resources revealed that a full-size American Chestnut tree still stands in a marsh near Lake Erie, the Sandusky Register reported recently. For tree experts, it's a big deal. American chestnuts that grew up to 120 feet once accounted for about 25 percent of the forests in the eastern half of North America until a fungus wiped out all but a few. 'They are often referred to as the redwood of the East because of their tremendous size,' Gary Obermiller, a regional manager for the Division of Natural Areas and Preserves. The fungus was first detected in 1904 in trees in New York City, and by 1950 some 3.5 billion trees about 90 percent of the species were dead. Only a few trees had resistance to the fungus and survived. In Ohio, most American chestnut trees were found in the eastern half of the state. In August, the Dayton Daily News reported on the existence of a stand of American chestnuts anchored in a working sandstone quarry in Braceville Twp., Trumbull County, just west of Warren near the Mahoning River. The specimens that sit on a standstone knob are a handful, the tallest reaching 75 feet. According to the Register, the state's largest existing chestnut tree known only to a few until last week is in Sheldon Marsh, a 465-acre state nature preserve about midway between Toledo and Cleveland. The tree stands 89 feet tall and has a 5-foot circumference. 'To our knowledge, we don't have any that come close to this size,' Obermiller said. Most surviving chestnut trees are small, sprouting from the roots of trees killed by the fungus. Steve Maurer, the new chief of Natural Areas and Preserves, decided the public should be told about the tree, Obermiller said. 'He realized this was a very special tree,' Obermiller said. American Chestnut facts American chestnut trees once made up about 25 percent of forests in eastern North America. The trees grew up to 120 feet tall and lived up to 600 years. Its wood was valuable because it was straight, light and rot-resistant. A fungus that eventually wiped out most of the trees was first found in 1904 in New York. All American Chestnut trees in New York City were dead by 1912. By 1950 about 3.5 billion trees about 90 percent of the species were dead
    ...See More

Looking for american chestnuts

Q

Comments (9)
    The blight-resistant American Chestnuts that the American Chestnut Foundation are working on breeding are almost, but not quite, ready for release. Within 5 to 10 years, I think that their chestnuts will be available to the public. However, there IS a source for blight-resistant American Chestnuts of a few varieties. These trees won't preserve all the genetic variations found across the vast range of American Chestnuts, but they are blight resistant from everything I've heard and make very good trees. The company who produces and sells these trees is Oikos. Here's a weblink: http://www.oikostreecrops.com/store/home.asp Note that the page might not come up, in which case delete everything but the main website name (http://www.oikostreecrops.com/) and hit "Enter" and try again. I hope this helps in your quest to restore the sadly lost American Chestnut to your land.
    ...See More

blight-resistant American chestnut

Q

Comments (7)
    Bummer, I talked to the guy at Knecht's in Northfield, and he says he gets all his experimental type trees from Oregon, so no real data on cold or blight hardiness there. Viper, thanks for your suggestion too, I have ordered from Burnt Ridge in the past. I agree your selection SHOULD be blight resistant, but hard to tell as they don't have it out there. Also, a number of their selections are pollen sterile, so I would still need pollinators.
    ...See More
  • brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Socal2warm, you should Google 'chestnut blight' and read up on it. it's not that the American chestnut become more susceptible to an existing disease...the disease itself was introduced here by human activity. And the same goes for sooooo many other diseases that threaten to wipe out our trees and forests.

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Europeans arriving here in the old days assumed the American chestnut was the same species as they knew from the old country. C. sativa is said to be blight-susceptible also but clearly not as severely as it has not been reduced to perhaps millions of sprouting - or dead - stumps.

• terrene
    9 years ago

That is pretty cool. It would be great if this transgenic tree grows, for all intents and purposes, just the same as the original C. dentata.

I'm a little wary of this statement however:

"The results of the metabolite analyses indicate that the nuts produced from transgenic plants aren't appreciably different from those produced by wild-type plants and should be safe for consumption."

Aren't appreciably different? Should be safe?

• wisconsitom
    9 years ago

Terenne, we're all primed to be hyper-suspicious these days. But I interpret that sentence, and those words, to indicate any differences are minor and unlikely to have negative impact. I know, I'm right there with ya in not trusting some sources, but really....sometimes things are just what they are!

+oM

• salicaceae
    9 years ago

Well said Brandon.

As a scientist who is working on resistance to exotic pathogens, I can tell you that biotech solutions, such as GM, need to be considered more as a solution. Too many people who know nothing about GM (except what they saw on a meme on Facebook) are speaking out against them without knowing how vital they may be to saving some species - or at least allowing for restoration.

• wisconsitom
    9 years ago

Uh, I think perhaps you meant to direct that at me, Sal. You're welcome!

One of my peeves is the way careless journalists and even sometimes people that should know better equate "genetic manipulation", which mankind has been doing since before recorded history, with "genetic engineering", in which genetic material from a totally unrelated organism is introduced into some plant or animal (or fungus or bacteria or virus or...) to confer some ability or resistance to that target organism. The two are not the same, the latter being a subset of the former, but you'd never know it from reading dumb articles. Our country's ability to digest and comprehend science is abysmally poor right now, and sloppy journalism sure isn't helping.

+oM

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Always need to come up with content by deadline. Anytime someone is reporting on a topic they have little or no background in they may include or miss something that matters, without knowing it does. Scientists are supposed to run their findings by other scientists to make sure they are valid, any time information is not being processed and presented by the scientific community itself the benefit of the level of care it takes may be lost.

• terrene
    9 years ago

Yes, Tom, I have reservations but am a huge fan of science. I think science is a primary source of enlightenment for humanity and it sheds light on the often dark and warped world of human emotion and superstition. And you're right, many people don't understand it, and I didn't really either when I was younger, but have benefitted from having a son who might not have been the easiest kid to raise, but is a natural born scientist and is now studying biotechnology at a local polytechnic institute.

It is likely that the phrasing in the article is an expression of "scientific reticence" which is prudent. I doubt that modifying 2 genes out of 30,000 in C. dentata is going to be a problem, but don't really know.

Anyway here in the US don't we all eat GMO corn and soy on a regular basis? So what's a few chestnuts... Although to hedge my bets I buy a lot of organic food and think the jury is still out on genetically engineered food.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    9 years ago

Though I agree with willows that there is a lot of hysteria about GMO foods, I also don't think the ramifications of them has been as well researched as they should be. After all, where's the money? If spending to prove them safe outweighs spending to question their safety by 15 to 1, well, you can guess the likely outcome. People don't realize that some PhDs can cow-tow to whoever's putting bread on their table just as anyone else could. Sorry. It's the truth. During the big trans-fat blow up 10 years ago, it was amusing and illustrative to see the agrobiz put out research by primarily midwestern nutritionists screaming "these aren't dangerous at all! It's a all a big lie! Keep hoovering your margarine and shortening!"

This article has an obviously pro-GMO bias, as Tom points out, by the utterly false equivalence with mere selective breeding. But it more importantly ignores several practical and ecological questions. By introducing one clone with one protective gene, you obviously raise the possibility of the widespread pathogen evolving resistance to that lone gene, especially if slow gene flow into native population reserves takes place. (And as has already happened with GMO grain crops.)

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Sometimes when you rearrange building blocks they fall down.

• basic
    9 years ago

Has anyone tried the melorange, which is a GMO melon out of a Monsantos lab? I recently tried it and it was fantastic! As a non-scientist, I do my best to keep up with the issue of GMO's, but I have to admit it gets lost on me. I get the feeling the cat's out of the bag on this one. While labeling seems to be a reasonable request (Why not let consumers know?), I think it's safe to say that GMO's are here to stay.

• wisconsitom
    9 years ago

....and again, if by GMO, we mean genetically modified organism, they've been around since the first time some guy, fresh out of the cave, noticed that out of all the uh, I'll say wheat plants-who knows what plant it really was-there was this one that bore more grain, or didn't get leaf blight, or.....or....or....whatever thing it was that he noticed, and then went on to crossbreed that plant with another one he'd seen which exhibited similar traits. That's GMO, and has been around since long before any of us were born.

Genetically engineered.....is what people mean but never say. That's taking a bit of genetic material from a oh, bacterium, and splicing it into a corn plant, so that forever onward, that variety of corn now has whatever that bacterium had. Obviously, I'm talking here about something that really was done, the insertion of genes to produce the toxin manufactured inside Bacterium thuringiensis into corn, so that any insect that takes a bite out of anywhere on that corn plant, now will get sick and quit eating.

One wonders how we will ever make good decisions if we don't even understand whatever it is that's the issue of the moment.

Sorry Basics, didn't mean to go off on you personally, nor is that what this rant is about really. Just that once again, those terms, which do not mean the same thing, are being interchanged.

+oM

• wisconsitom
    9 years ago

In my haste-I've got a lot of haste going here today-I mis-labeled something up above. I meant to spell Bacillus thuringiensis, not Bacterium. We'll get there eventually!

+oM

• lucky_p
    9 years ago

+oM,
    One of the great things about the Bt corn is...the Bt toxin genes inserted in there don't affect all insects - they're specific for certain members of the Lepidoptera...so, really only affect corn borer and corn earworm caterpillars. Bt toxin has no effect on mammals or birds - or most other insect species.
    Analyses have shown that Bt corn, as a result of diminished insect damage to stalk & ear, tends to have much lower levels of mycotoxin contamination; many of the mycotoxins are much greater threats to human & animal health than any imagined threat that the inserted gene segments may pose.

• wisconsitom
    9 years ago

Yes. One of the bad things-and this is huge-is, let's say, just for the purpose of this discussion, that scientists inserted the Bt gene into Rudbeckia hirta. OK, that plant is not exactly rare, but it can't hold a candle to the ubiquity of corn. Agreed? So, now we're exposing those insect species susceptible to Bt to vast acreages-millions and millions of acres of corn. Agreed? So now, instead of a few garden plants, even if we include the R. hirta existing in prairies, putting that gene in that species would expose relatively few insects-lepidopterous or otherwise-to this toxin (the toxin in Bt that kills insects). So can you see where we're taking this? I can. Pretty soon, if it hasn't already happened, races of insects will or have evolved with resistance to this toxin. It's one thing to have that relatively small subgroup of people who grow organically, and who therefore really need a tool like Bt, to use the stuff. Plant corn with the same genetic mechanism across vast acreages, that's a whole different story. And the little organic people (and the rest of civilization) lose out.

No free rides....and no completely safe technology.

+oM

• terrene
    9 years ago

Definitions of GMO from Wikipedia and sciencedictionary.org (just a couple random sites I went to):

"A genetically modified organism (GMO) is any organism whose genetic material has been altered using genetic engineering techniques."

"A term, currently used most often in international trade discussions, that designates crops that carry new traits that have been inserted through advanced genetic engineering methods"

Wtom, the way you define GMO in your post sounds more like "selection" of plants in the field that display certain desirable traits. No manipulation of their genetic material in the lab required.

• wisconsitom
    9 years ago

Precisely, Terenne. Selection is the earliest form of GMO. That dictionary entry is perpetuating a fals notion. Genetic engineering is what everybody is up in arms about, but they're calling it GMO. This is just further evidence of that.

I'm done beating this dead horse here. But I do know people active in the field, and I can say with complete certainty that the information in those dictionary entries is incorrect. It happens!

+oM

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

GMO versus GEO is just "symantics" (in the broadest sense of the word). I see professors, scientist, and various types of agricultural "experts" (including those doing the genetic engineering) use the terms genetically modified organism and genetically modified crops, to mean what Tom insists is really genetically engineered organisms/crops, on a regular and consistent basis. I've heard the argument Tom makes a number of times, but I have yet to see a widely accepted standard in any educational/research/professional field. If anything, the GMO term is winning out in the general populous. Genetic engineering is probably the most commonly used word to describe what is being done (verb), but there is apparently not even close to a standard for using the term to describe the actual organisms resulting from genetic engineering (noun, adjective). Some people may want it to be one way or another, but from my experience, neither horse has won the race yet!

This post was edited by brandon7 on Fri, Feb 6, 15 at 20:09

• drrich2
    9 years ago

Since American Chestnut used to dominate substantial regions of forest, and grows fast, I would imagine a blight-resistant introduction could fairly quickly (for a tree) change a lot of forest land. Which wouldn't bother me so much but for those spiny nut covers.

How many of you would choose one of these for a yard tree? Aside from the novelty of a 'real' American Chestnut, what would motivate you to get one over, oh, an oak, pecan, hickory, sugar maple, tulip poplar, other big tree not-otherwise-specied...?

Richard.

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Those wishing to get chestnuts would choose the chestnut tree. All will require more space - visual as well as physical - than many modern yards can provide.

• Huggorm
    9 years ago

"How many of you would choose one of these for a yard tree? Aside from the novelty of a 'real' American Chestnut, what would motivate you to get one over, oh, an oak, pecan, hickory, sugar maple, tulip poplar, other big tree not-otherwise-specied...?"

I did. Actually, I have several close to my house and other parts of my land that I walk by often. Those spines can't be worse than conifer needles anyway. I love the appearance of a chestnut tree and they will produce nuts eventually, for me or for wildlife. They thrive in my acid, poor sandy soil wich not all trees do. I like all broadleaf trees but nut trees might be the nicest.

This post was edited by Huggorm on Sat, Feb 7, 15 at 13:30

• terrene
    9 years ago

Well, I planted a Liquidambar seedling I got from the Ntl Arbor Day in 2006, they have pretty spikey balls. I don't know when they start flowering, but I will probably be long gone from here before it starts dropping those little pricklies.

I collected some C. sativa nuts this past fall, they do have terribly spikey nut covers, and are definitely worse than spruce needles. I assume C. dentata is similar. I don't know what I'm going to do with the C. sativa seeds yet, but would plant either chestnut, if I had room for more canopy trees - maybe the next house.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

"Those spines can't be worse than conifer needles anyway."

Yeah...sure...that's the ticket! LOL

• krnuttle
    9 years ago

Slightly off topic, but considering the knowledge of reporters.

Several years ago the army was destroying some chemicals in Indiana. The young female report was out to get Pulitzer prize for her expose' on the terrible situation with toxic chemicals. The man in charge explained the process and the reporter asked several dumb questions. The man finally told the report that the resulting solution was like Draino. Her response was are your people trained to handle Draino. She probable used Draino in one of her home clean preparations, and I will bet she had no idea of what she was doing.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

huh?

• jocelynpei
    9 years ago

Well, I've got american chestnuts down both sides of the driveway.....lovely lawn trees for a big lawn. Some of my seedlings come from small nut selections, 2.8 grams or so, and the blue jays are in heaven. The larger nutted ones, 6 grams or so, are great for cooking, and munching. I have some half Chinese, half American ones, letting nature introgress blight resistance into our woods. The pure Chinese get overtopped too soon, but the halflings produce seed for quite a while. I've had catkins for 3 years now, but no burs , however some of my buddies have trees older than mine and they are producing lots of seednuts. They have been kind enough to share seed, grin. I don't see why both approaches wouldn't work. If you want the F1 generation to be male fertile though, you need to use a Chinese seed parent, not an American seed parent. If you intend instead to use male barren F1 generation to produce a backcross to pure americans in your woods already, use the American as the seed parent. The backcross 1 has some male fertile ones and they can pollinate each other and nature culls whatever ones didn't get at least some blight resistance and good tree form. Some of my F1's want to be bushes and I rogued them. Some of my BC1's want to be bushes too, so just plant lots and let nature cull.

• wisconsitom
    9 years ago

BTW, I disagree with Brandon that the distinction I present is "just symantics". Hell, I don't even think it's semantics! Two different concepts being conflated is not a semantics issue, it's one of misunderstanding. And the people who actually are involved in these varied activities are the very ones who serve as my sources. Just because a lot of people are confused, it doesn't mean the person who is not confused is wrong. Or does it?

Beyond that aspect of this discussion, it does somewhat bring to mind thoughts some of us have had that the future composition of our forests may, by necessity, have to be an engineered entity to some degree. As we continue to lose species via introduction of non-native pests and pathogens,could it be that the only way to fill the ecological niches which are being lost via these introductions is to bring in genetics which are from elsewhere? I can at least conceive of such a future. So, do we bring in Asian genetics to our hemlocks to confer resistance to HWA? OR as in this conversation, do the same sort of thing with Castanea? Fraxinus? Ulmus? The list goes on......

+oM

+oM

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tom, I am confused about why you think everyone is confused! A vast number of the actual researchers in this very field use the GM terminology (especially, but not limited to, when discussing topics with the general public). Some choose to use other, less-popular, terminology, but that doesn't make the first group wrong or confused.

Besides all that, since the term GEO can be considered a subset of GMO, AND, the term GMO is almost never used by most people to describe anything but what we might call GEO, AND, since almost everyone already associates GMO with specifically what we could call GEO...how could one possibly argue that this communication is some kind of misunderstanding?

My gut feeling (no real analysis involved) about our forests being engineered by necessity is that by that time we will have already lost the war, if we haven't already.