SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nywoodsman

Looking for american chestnuts

nywoodsman
17 years ago

2o years ago after moving to my present location I realize that the woods around me had once been dominated by native chestnut trees.Their decaying hulks were scattered through out the forest floor with many still standing fifty years after they died.In fact the tallest tree one the property when I got here was a 100 foot chestnut snag down in the hollow.Although mostof them have now fallen, small trees still sprout here and there,only to be killed back by the blite.I would love to reintroduce a resistant strain of the native species but am having a hard time finding a grower.I've heard of the american chestnut project,but their literature seems to imply that their trees have only a 10% chance of desease resistance,and I thought that with having active blite still on may property,they would have little chance of surviving here.Has anyone heard of any other source?Years ago I read of someone developing a trans-genetic clone,with the gene for blite resistance spliced in from an asian species.Has this become available to the market yet?Re-establishing this wonderful tree to my area is an important goal of mine.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio