SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nick_b79

Mixing pure American chestnuts with Oikos hybrid chestnuts

nick_b79
16 years ago

I have about one dozen pure American chestnut saplings growing in the woods at the family farm, which I gathered from a local source. Unfortunately, one of those trees I gathered from died several years ago from chestnut blight.

I'm hoping that these seedlings will survive long enough to begin bearing nuts, but even if they do, their offspring will also be blight susceptible.

My idea so far to rectify this is to purchase a few Oikos hybrid chestnuts (reportedly blight-resistant), and interspace these with the pure seedlings. Theoretically, the hybrids will cross-pollinate with the current seedlings and at least some of the offspring will be resistant.

Does this sound like a workable solution? If so, how many hybrids do I need to interplant with the dozen saplings I already have? Or, will this just result in a bunch of seedlings with limited resistance, kind of a watered-down hybrid? If that's the case, I may be better off just killing the saplings and replacing them all with Oikos hybrids.

Thanks.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!