SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tattnall_gw

Large-scale amendment in tree planting

Tattnall
9 years ago

I know that Harvestman and Brandon7 have hosted long and fruitful conversations about the benefits and drawbacks of soil amendments, but I thought I'd ask about another scenario:

I chair a "Friends of" organization for a historic park in Middle Georgia, and we've raised a good bit of money for tree donations in a portion of park long used for a parking lot and a service road over hard-packed clay. We removed the parking lot, and we've installed a nice brick-lined sidewalk through this area, and now we're getting ready to plant about 70 trees in this formerly barren part of the park. The problem is that this area has a couple of inches of very, very poor topsoil covering long compacted hard-pan red Georgia clay.

I understand that it's bad to amend the planting hole, and I get that it's generally good to avoid amendments, but in this situation, would it be good to break up and amend a large area--say 30 ft. wide in the strip where we're planting--or will the hard pan clay next to the large amended section turn even a larger amended section into just a larger pool in downpours and a dessert during droughts? I was thinking about 10% compost mixed into the top 10" of the exiting bed, with a slight berm as well, allowing for better drainage.

I tried selecting trees that can deal with clay and compaction--we're planting 18 "Princeton" elms and 25 black gums throughout this section. In other places in this area, I've selected trees like bald cypress, overcup oak, and swamp white oak.

So would you recommend simply breaking up the hard-pan long compacted clay and planting a little higher, or would you recommend adding compost and tilling that mixture into the clay over a 30ft. wide area, maybe tapering as we got to the end?

I feel that given the tree donations, we'd like to do right by these generous people by giving their trees the best shot at a long life.

Comments (26)