SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
little_minnie

ultimate source of seeds

little_minnie
9 years ago

Since 2005 when Monsanto bought Seminis. the largest garden seed supplier in the world, there has been some efforts to discover the source of the seed the seed catalog companies get to avoid giving money to Monsanto. Due to consumer demand, including mine, many seed companies stopped buying from Seminis, which is great. There are lists online, both accurate and inaccurate on this subject. I thought I was doing well to avoid the companies that still work with Seminis, except that every couple years I have to order some seed from Johnny's. Now the next step. I figure it is good to not give money to Monsanto but there are other GMO companies that make regular seed too. I have been trying to not buy from them either now but it is much more difficult! Some of these seed suppliers are: Tokita, Sakata, Nunhem, and Syngenta. Yes most of their seeds are hybrids but some are purebreds (OP) and when you grow for a living you need varieties that will produce. For things like broccoli, Napa cabbage, bok choy and Brussels I need very decent hybrids to grow here for families that rely on me.

Fedco is my favorite company. They took out Seminis several years ago but they still get seed from some of the other suppliers. They list where each seed is pretty much from. So they put a 5 by the seeds that come from companies that also make GMOs. So you can avoid those and be fine. But it is really hard when you have struggled to find say the best summer broccoli, making sure it is not from Monsanto, and then it turns out it is from Sakata, the number 8 worldwide maker of GMOs. I am not sure how far my principles can go on this.

Comments (24)