SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
samya_gw

Help with neglected lawn

9 years ago

Hi. I'm renting a house. Its my first house so I've never had a lawn. All I know is what my dad taught me growing up. I uploaded a picture but it isn't the best because it was taken for another reason but I can't get in there to take more pics until we move in next week.

The previous renters did not care for the lawn so it completely died off. It previously had full grass including on the sides of the house that now appear empty.

We want to clear all the weeds and such out and regrass the lawn. The landlord tried to round up it twice to no avail a few weeks ago. At this point I'm planning on just using a manual weeder to get the weeds as the lawn is only about 300sqft maybe 400 at most. We have clay like soil. Not sure what its called. Can anyone tell me anything about the other non weed growth in the picture? Clover like plants. Do I remove this and there root system like a weed?

I also am unsure what they are and couldn't get them on photo but there's these hard stalky like short things that really hurt if you step on them even with shoes. It almost feels like stepping on a giant sun flowers stem after its been cut but much dryer. How can I remove these?

Lastly would it be cheaper to use roll out sod or just reseed? I'm in a suburb of Los Angeles in a desert like area but its actually a valley. Should I use a cold or warm breed of grass? Sprinkler system is there and working. Any help would be appreciated. Need to do it on a budget since I'm renting. Landlord will only round up and reseed which obviously isn't working. Thanks!!

Amanda.

Comments (3)