SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bernard_in_ohio

Which mix for my spring 2015 arrivals?

Come spring, I'll be receiving tart cherries, honeyberries, hardy kiwi, some paw paw trees, a few figs and two varieties of ground cherries.

I want to grow them all in containers, which I am building. They will be 28" square x 2' deep. The bottoms will be maybe a double thickness of 1/4" hardware cloth. I've designed the containers to be easily expandable should a miracle occur.

But I'm baffled:

Do some of these plants greatly prefer 5-1-1 Mix over Gritty Mix? If so, which likes what?

For myself, I think I prefer 5-1-1. It looks a lot easier to handle. But plant health is really the most important thing to me. I certainly don't mind watering every day.

The figs will go down to the basement in the winter, where the temp hovers between 38 and 45 degrees F.

Everything else needs chill hours, so I think I should keep them outside. However, don't they need a little special protection because of life in containers? I'm thinking of insulating the roots against low temps by tying big garbage bags packed tight with leaves around the outsides and bottoms of the containers, which will be a little raised off the ground because I'm attaching wheels to them.

Good idea? Not so much?

Also, I'm concerned about pH. Aren't both mixes a little too acid for the figs? Or is the lime sufficient to ensure the figs' comfort?

And doesn't the bark or fines limit the availability of nitrogen? Or does the fact that all the necessary nutrients will be supplied regularly, in a form easily absorbed by the plants, by me, make pH a less important consideration than it would be in conventional planting in the ground?

I think I've acquired enough knowledge to be dangerous.

Thanks to all !!!
Bernard

Comments (5)