SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jo_pyeweed

My Spring 2015 Garden - mostly Austins

It's been an unusual spring. My roses have not flushed in synchronicity. Some bloomed in March while others have yet to begin.

My normal exultation for my springtime roses is considerably dampened this year. I lost my glorious 6 year-old Mel's Heritage earlier this month. It was 40 feet long stretched out against a fence, and in the course of a few weeks it dried completely. Cane, leaf and soil samples are with the Dept. of Agriculture. Not knowing the cause is driving me bonkers; that what happened to Mel's Heritage could spread to my other roses is filling me with worry and dread.

The drought we are experiencing is the other reason for my deep despondency. I don't know if I will see this kind of flush again if the rains don't return. We have just been mandated to water the garden only on 2 days in the week. I have sandy soil and what has worked for me is to water frequently although not as deeply. The restriction could be a death knell for my garden. And, to top it all off, temperatures are much higher than normal. We hardly ever get highs over 70F and we have already reached almost 80F several days this year. I am seeing roses crisp for the first time.

Although the joy and thrill are missing for me this year, I have not been immune to the beauty my roses have displayed. My garden is almost 3 years old, although I have had many of these roses for several years in pots or in the ground in my previous home. I would like to share some pictures from the past two weeks with you.....edited to say I am limiting to just Austins.

Jo

Abraham Darby, being coaxed to grow as a short climber. Bloomed well this year, but the flush lasted only a few days. It's now happily rusting away <sigh>.

Young Lycidas with Strawberry Hill in the background. It bloomed heavily in March and into April. Still has a few blooms today....

Lady Emma Hamilton. Not the happiest here. Hates the wind, plagued by cercospora and anthracnose. Voted best in fragrance by all visitors to my garden. At her best last week:

Strawberry Hill. Grown as a climber fanned out against a fence. I fight it's awkward growth habit almost daily, it seems. Rusts late in the year. Viciously thorny - the kind that snags and rips through flesh. Repeat is not good in my garden; it bloomed better when I grew it as a shrub. Here's why I keep it....

Molineux. My workhorse. I have two.

Here it is doing its peachy thing on a foggy morning.

Princess Alexandra of Kent. I bought two by mistake. Planted them in the front of my bed - another mistake. They were pruned down drastically this winter but have again reached 10 feet wide and 5 feet tall. They have thorns that impale. Massive, fragrant blooms.

PAoK close-up:

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals