SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dorieann_gw

Your Favorite Books of 2006

dorieann
17 years ago

I love book lists, and often get ideas from them to add to my TBR pile. So please share with me. What were your favorite books from those you read this year?

Here are my top 10 favorites, by category:

Fiction

The Road, Cormac McCarthy

A father and son make their way through a post-apocalyptic world. A thoroughly moody, engrossing and thought-provoking novel.

Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close, Jonathan Foer

Oskar is a 9-year old boy whose mission is to find the lock that fits a mysterious key belonging to his father, who died in the World Trade Center on 9/11. His search through the five boroughs of New York brings him into contact with many different characters.

You Are Not a Stranger Here, Adam Haslett

A haunting book of short stories with the common thread of mental or emotional trauma.

Set This House In Order, Matt Ruff

Andrew is a man who has finally got a handle on his multiple personality disorder. Then he meets and reluctantly agrees to help Penny, a woman he believes suffers from the same condition. The (very appropriate) subtitle is "A Romance of Souls".

Crime Fiction

SorrowÂs Anthem, Michael Koryta

In order to help the person who was his boyhood best friend, P.I. Lincoln Perry returns to his old neighborhood, where he is considered persona non grada. But Perry wants to help safely bring in Ed, currently hiding from the police who are looking to arrest him for arson and murder.

The King of Lies, John Hart

When North Carolina lawyer Work Pickens finds his father murdered, the investigation pushes a repressed family history to the surface and he sees his own carefully constructed façade begin to crack. Work's troubled sister, her combative girlfriend, his gold digging socialite wife, and an unrequited lifelong love join a cast of small town characters in this excellent novel.

All Mortal Flesh, Julia Spencer-Fleming

The latest in the Clare Fergusson and Russ Van Alstyne series is also the best. When RussÂs wife is found murdered, the people of the town point suspiciously at Russ and ClareÂs close friendship. They are both soon considered primary suspects in the slaying. A series of stunning surprises turn the book (and the series) on its head.

Fantasy

The Stolen Child, Keith Donahue

On a summer night, Henry Day runs away from home and hides in a hollow tree. There he is taken by the changelingsÂan unaging tribe of wild children who live in darkness and in secret. They spirit him away, name him Aniday, and make him one of their own. In his place, the changelings leave a double, a boy who steals HenryÂs life in the world. This new Henry Day must adjust to a modern culture while hiding his true identity from the Day family.

The Big Over Easy, Jasper Fforde

Detective Inspector Jack Spratt of the Nursery Crime Division, along with a new assistant, Mary Mary, investigates the death of Humpty Dumpty. Was it suicide, or murder? Hilarious and surprisingly entertaining start of a new series....

Comments (25)