SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cpepper_gw

R.I.P. Marco

CPepper
15 years ago

Those of you who have been around RP for a while may remember Marco (a.k.a. Mark O'Bannon). This was in the Times-Picayune.

O'BANNON Mark Brian "Marco" O'Bannon died Sunday, November 16, 2008, in his New Orleans home. Born July 6, 1967, in Boulder, Colorado, he graduated cum laude from Tulane University and worked for the Tulane Cancer Center. He served as an Orleans Parish elections commissioner after the 2005 levee failure and recently received his Master's degree in history from the University of Louisiana at Lafayette. He is survived by his grandfather Don Peterson and grandfather's wife Kay Colard, of Texas, his father Leonard Minkel and mother Sharon Minkel of Colorado, his younger brothers and sisters-in-law Timothy and Cindy Minkel of Tennessee and Daniel and Monica Minkel and their daughter Allison of Colorado, his uncle and aunt Dr. and Mrs. C.W. Minkel of Tennessee, his aunt Jeanette Minkel of Michigan, his aunt Lily Minkel of Missouri, his cousins Marcia Garcia, Cathy La Rue and Kimberly Schmidt of Colorado and many other beloved cousins. He loved his Creator, his country and his family, and was proud of his Celtic, German and Slavic heritage. He loved books, especially history books, his garden, backroads, historical markers, and old graveyards. He once hitch-hiked the Pacific Coast Highway from southern California to Seattle. He loved the music, food and traditions of New Orleans and his hometown of Boulder. He loved good whiskey, good tobacco and good conversation. And he loved dear old Dixie. Marco's loved ones in New Orleans will remember him as a generous and loyal friend, a gracious host of Twelfth Night and other celebrations, a fierce costumer and daring experimenter of flaming beverages. He was loved dearly and will be greatly missed. Memorial services will be held 2:00 pm, Saturday, November 22, 2008, at Central-St. Matthew United Church of Christ, 1333 S. Carrollton Ave in New Orleans; celebration of Marco's life to follow, 6:00 pm at the King Pin bar, 1307 Lyons Street in New Orleans.

Marco and I maintained an email exchange for many years and I was looking forward to finally meeting him in person this New Year's Eve. (We are going to New Orleans after Christmas.) He was always up for a lively conversation, a challenging debate, or a good laugh. He will be missed.

Even though I haven't posted for a long while (life, you know) I have certainly checked in often enough to get fabulous book recommendations. Thanks for always being here.

Cyndi

Comments (62)

• frances_md
    15 years ago

Thank you, Frieda, for also remembering and thank you, Sheri, for saving the review. Now I know why it was the most memorable RP post for me.

He certainly had a great way with words. I'm glad he was able to get his Master's degree in history.

• rosefolly
    15 years ago

I too remember Marco and am sorry to hear this sad news. As others did, I wondered what happened when he stopped posting. Thank you, Cyndi, for letting us know.

Siobhan put it well. I often wonder when regular posters disappear from the forum and am pleased when they come back to us.

Rosefolly

• vickitg
    15 years ago

Marco was one of my very favorite RP posters, and I was sorry when he quit sharing his wit and amazing intellect with us. I'm sad to hear of his passing, but glad that I had the chance to know him, if only via this impersonally intimate cyber connection.

Thanks, Cyndi, for letting us know.

• Kath
    15 years ago

I'm so sorry to hear this, but thanks Cyndi, for passing on the news. Like many others I loved Marco's postings and enjoyed his wit and wisdom.

• woodnymph2_gw
    15 years ago

Marco must have been just leaving RP when I came on the scene, some years ago. I am very impressed with his writing in the critique of Heaney's "Beowulf." What a loss!

• J C
    15 years ago

I sorted through some old documents I had printed off the computer years ago and found some of Marco's old posts. One that sticks with me was all about our U.S. currency and the engravings they are made from. I have been showing people the little spider on our dollar bills ever since.

I wonder if there is a way we could send a card to his parents? I will do some internet sleuthing and see if I can find a snail mail addy. I'm not too good at that sort of thing but maybe it won't be too difficult.

• J C
    15 years ago

Well, even my feeble searching skills quickly produced a guest book for Marco.

Here is a link that might be useful: Marco's Guest Book

• sherwood38
    15 years ago

Sad news indeed.
    I add to what others have said, I enjoyed his contributions here and missed him when he chose to quit us...I think I remember why!

Pat

• martin_z
    15 years ago

Just to add my name to the paen of praise. I certainly remember many of his posts from my early days (around 1999 - blimey, nearly ten years ago!). Intelligent, articulate and always fascinating.

He left for a while, and then returned, and unfortunately argued ferociously with a lot of us on one contemporary subject - to the extent that I wondered for a while whether it was the same person. Which is, as Pat says, the last we saw of him.

I prefer to remember the original witty, tolerant and entertaining person who we originally saw here. I used to positively look forward to his posts, and click on them with a real sense of anticipation.

• friedag
    15 years ago

Sheri, thank you so much for re-posting Marco's "So" essay. I remembered it imperfectly, so it was a treat to revisit it. I can hardly believe it originated over seven years ago. This time I've made paper copies for my files so I will be able to retrieve it. I can save things to computer files but somehow they either get erased or I can never find them again.

I did recall why Marco left us here at RP, but like Martin I prefer to remember the lighthearted or tongue-in-cheek, sui generis Marco.

• jankin
    15 years ago

Marco - I've always missed his presence here and so very sad to read of his early death.
    Condolences to all who knew and loved him.
    Jan

• picassocat
    15 years ago

I first came across Marco's erudition in early 1999 and followed many of his subsequent threads. He had a profound insight in a range of areas, from Shakespeare, to the great Russian novelists, as well as history. He stood alone in range and depth, and his passion was palpable.

One thread that particularly sticks in my mind, was the discussion on 'What Books to Read to Become Well-Read".

I too recall why Marco left, which was unfortunate. May God bless you Marco and condolences to your friends and family.

Adam

• Chris_in_the_Valley
    15 years ago

I for one am devastated to hear of Marco's passing. We did meet years ago. He gave me walking tour of the Garden District and we had dinner at The Commander's Palace where we had an equally bookish waiter and a wonderful time. A couple of years after Katrina we lost touch. My fault. But I'd been thinking of him lately and wanting to get back in contact. Talk about regrets!

My favorite Marco thread was the party for Shakespeare's Birthday, back when we could post pseudonymously and Marco showed up as three different Shakespeare characters.

Thanks Cyndi, for posting the sad news.

• janalyn
    15 years ago

I havent been to Readers Paradise in hmm, over a year I think, and as its Christmas Day, I thought I would check in to see if the forum was still alive...I was amazed my login still worked and more amazed that I remembered the password. *grin

I am overjoyed to see so many people still posting and reading -- but sad to see the news about Marco. I didnt agree with him all the time either but respected him, learned and often laughed with him.

I wish you all a very Merry Christmas, and I have some wonderful memories of this place...the people, of course. You know who you are..and so many still here. Your past book discussions and thoughts have enriched my life in many ways. My heartfelt thanks.

• twobigdogs
    15 years ago

Janalyn,
    It was so good to see your name here again. I know I am not alone in my hope that you will stick around. You've been missed.

PAM

• woodnymph2_gw
    15 years ago

Janalyn, so great to hear from you. We miss you at RP and wish you would return....

• J C
    15 years ago

Janalyn! Welcome back!

• rosefolly
    15 years ago

Janalyn, delighted to hear from you again. We have wondered where you were, and are happy to have you posting again.

Rosefolly

• sheriz6
    15 years ago

Janalyn, great to see you here again, hope you're planning to stop in again.

• ccrdmrbks
    15 years ago

Janalyn-so glad to hear from you.
    Cece

• Kath
    15 years ago

Hi Janlyn! Nice to see you here again.

• rouan
    15 years ago

Janalyn,

I'm so glad you are back again. I was wondering what had happened to you. Welcome back! :)

• philc
    15 years ago

This is very sad.

I also heard from Sonia (if you're an "old timer") that she is very ill with breast cancer. Last heard from her about a year ago, she's gone quiet since.

I don't look in here too much these days, as it now has a front splash that says that it's exclusively for American Women. I fail on both counts, so I guess me, Marco, Sonia, etc..etc..wouldn't be made welcome nowadays.

Notwithstanding, I still Lurk :) You guys still make the best reading recommendations on the net. (But I don't agree with you on what will be future classics......:()

• janalyn
    15 years ago

Thanks for your welcome backs..and philc - you are going to let some idiotic "front slash" stop you from posting? Show some spirit, defy the powers that be, snub your nose at front slashes etc etc...

(that should do it *wink)

Ill post early in the new year.. I have a real life Book club right now though they some of the choices tend to the dysfunctional family genre which makes me gag...and as for sci-fi/fantasy forget it, but they are great women..

Happy New Year all!! talk to you all soon!

• twobigdogs
    15 years ago

Hooray! Both Janalyn AND PhilC are back. You've both been missed. Looking forward to your vast multitudes of postings in the new year.

PAM

• ccrdmrbks
    15 years ago

I just logged out and logged back in and I don't see a front splash about American women...are you talking about that "win a kitchen" nonsense? Piffle. (What would Spike say?)
    Stick around-we need your "classics" input.

• J C
    15 years ago

Phil, you must weigh in on the future classics! Inquiring minds want to know!

I am American, and a woman, but to label myself as such...and imply exclusivity...very distasteful. I don't pay attention to any of the banners. I think it is a case of familiary breeds contempt. I come here so often I don't see the ads any more.

• woodnymph2_gw
    15 years ago

What slash / for American Women? I've never seen that! Even so, if the reverse were true (for men?) it would never stop me from posting here....

• raymaj
    15 years ago

I'm so very sorry to hear of Marco's passing. I'm one of the "old timers" and oh how I enjoyed Marco's postings. I will truly miss him.

I too enjoyed the Shakespeare Midsummer's Party we had. Marco's character's were memorable indeed. The "War and Peace" post we engaged in. I had to credit Marco (and a few others here) to finally get me through this massive Russian tome. Marco made it well worth it.

• martin_z
    15 years ago

Rayma! How lovely to hear from you too!

I know that you were here on RP when I started the journey, but I can't remember if you were here when I finished it. But thanks to you, I went with Roland all the way to the Dark Tower - and oh, how poignant it was.

My thanks to you for starting me on the journey.

• Chris_in_the_Valley
    15 years ago

I'm doing a happy dance. Marco would approve, I think. Phil, Janalyn, AND Rayma! Please keep the dance alive by coming back regularly!

• raymaj
    15 years ago

My sister is the one who has kept me connected to RP. Whenever she wants to find a new book to read, she stops here first for recommendations though she never post. For Christmas, she bought me the book "Marley & Me" and I decided to check RP to see if anyone else has read it. The book reminded me of the stories I used to post here about Rocky and PsychoBird (and martin....I seem to recall you had keep some of those stories archived:-)). I could write a whole book about Rocky and PsychoBird just like this book....and also about my current best friend Bailey - an Austrailian Sheperd mix. He's my big ole rug of a dog!

• twobigdogs
    15 years ago

Rayma! Welcome back to you, too! As Chris, wrote, Marco would approve, nay, he would be thrilled that even in his passing, his love of reading has brought book friends back together.

PAM

• J C
    15 years ago

Wonderful to see you, Rayma! You know where you can find an audience for those stories, right? :)

I'm so happy to see old friends stopping by. It's like a New Year's gift.

• ccrdmrbks
    15 years ago

Rayma! Welcome back!
    I remember Rocky and Psychobird. I also remember the picture of Martin's cat in a Christmas tree.

• carolyn_ky
    15 years ago

I've missed Rocky and Psychobird almost as much as our long-lost posters. Welcome back, and please stay around.

• woodnymph2_gw
    15 years ago

Rayma, I've missed you and your funny stories. You were posting here when I first discovered RP. I hope you are back to stay with us.

• raymaj
    15 years ago

Wow.....all the familiar names. It's comforting some how to know there is a place I can go where old friends still reside and the wonderful possibility of making new friends.

I think it was around 1998 when I first found RP. Does anyone remember Robin from way back when? I'll try to stay in touch. My sister and I have been trying for the past year to co-ordinate a move to New Mexico and that's been taking up a lot of my free time.

martin - hopefully it was only a little bit of persuasion to read the Dark Tower series;-) Of course along with reading "Marley and Me" I'm also reading King's latest book - a collection of short stories.

• sherwood38
    15 years ago

Hi Rayma!

I remember Robin, she kept in touch with me for a long time & then only occasionally. It has been several years since she last wrote. She & Janalyn were instrumental in perking up RP when it was so sluggish so many years ago.

Pat

• raymaj
    15 years ago

I was thinking about Marco the past few days and remembering. If it wasn't for him, I never would have picked up an Ayn Rand book!

• ccrdmrbks
    15 years ago

I remember Robin too-she started another discussion site-more far-reaching that books-I enjoyed that but suddenly it disappeared.

• sheriz6
    15 years ago

Rayma, it's so good to see you back! I often wondered what you were up to after you left. I hope all is well and you'll post again.

• timallan
    15 years ago

I have not posted on RP in awhile.

Mark and I exchanged email every two months or so. I had always hoped to one day visit New Orleans in person one day to meet him. He was one of the most interesting people I have ever known.

His last message to me was filled with enthusiasm about his thesis on religious minorities in New Orleans, which he planned to revise and publish. I have no doubt that it would have been a wonderful book, full of level-headed historical accuracy balanced with sprightliness and humor. He was also looking forward to pursuing his passion for history and teaching.

I will miss him so much.

• twobigdogs
    15 years ago

tim, THANK YOU for coming back to RP. I remember you and am glad to see you back. As I mentioned in an earlier post, Marco, I am sure, would have been quite pleased that so many old friends have returned. I only wish he was one of them, too. His book would have been exactly as you said. He was one of a kind.

I hope you are back to stay.
    PAM

• J C
    15 years ago

How nice to see you, Tim! I would love to read anything written by Marco; he was truly gifted.

I have to say again, it is great to see so many old friends.

• woodnymph2_gw
    15 years ago

Tim, welcome back! You may not remember me, but I remember you. Why did so many good posters leave?

• timallan
    15 years ago

Thank you for your nice comments. I will try to pop into RP when I can. I remember so many of you.

Marco's death has hit me hard. The last email I received from him was dated October 30th. I sent him an answer on November 17th, the day after he died. When I didn't get a Christmas card from him, I began to suspect that something was wrong. As you recall, Mark was very close to his grandfather. As his grandfather has been battling cancer for a few years now, and I worried that he may have taken a turn for the worse, which is why I wasn't hearing from Marco. I really don't why, but I went to RP. I am really grateful to Cyndi for starting this thread.

• rouan
    15 years ago

Rayma, I am SO happy you are back. I loved your stories about Rocky and Psycho bird and would gladly hear more.

Welcome back to you too, timallan. :) I, too, am happy to see familiar names begin to show up again.

• J C
    15 years ago

I really feel for you, Tim. Of course all experiences are unique, but I had a somewhat similar experience with a friend last summer. I saw her only once a year, at a meeting of a professional organization, but we often exchanged email. The last email I sent her in May, went unanswered. I didn't think too much of it as I was very busy, and knew that she probably was too. I phoned her in July but the phone just rang and rang - rather unusual these days. In September I walked into the hotel for the yearly meeting and was stunned to see a memorial set up for her next to the registration table in the lobby. She had died of a particularly deadly and fast-growing cancer during the summer. I don't remember anything about the meetings I attended that day.

I am very glad to know about Marco, many thanks.

• timallan
    15 years ago

Hi Siobhan, it's been a tough year for me. A member of my family battled colon cancer this year. Thankfully, she is now in remission. I guess my emotions are still pretty raw from dealing with that experience. Marco's death is just so unfair. I'm finding it hard to process.

Your experience is very similar to the loss of another friend I experienced a few years back. It is an awful feeling.

Someone mentioned in an earlier posting about how Marco's obituary sounded like he himself had written it. Actually last summer, Marco informed me that he had updated his will, and made various lists and instructions for his friends and family in the case of his death. This is so typical of Marco's consideration for others. He himself may have written the obituary, though I can't imagine he ever thought that he had so little time left.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County