SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cjoseph_gw

Intriguing Titles

cjoseph
17 years ago

I've come across titles on occasion that catch my eye and interest me enough to keep the work in mind for later investigation. Two novels by Louis-Ferdinand Celine, Journey to the End of the Night and Death on the Installment Plan are examples of this. They're the most easily available of his books in the US, and I kept seeing them on the bookstore shelves. Finally, my curiosity was aroused enough for me to buy them, and I was rewarded for doing so.

In a college bookstore, I found a three-volume set of hardbacks titled Remembrance of Things Past. I'd never heard of the books or their author, but I remembered it when I encountered references to Proust and his work in later reading. After learning about it, I decided to read it, and although difficult I found it fascinating. I also read a later edition published under a different imprint which had the more literal but considerably less evocative title In Search of Lost Time. I don't know if that would have caught my attention as well.

I'd read some of VS Naipaul's non-fiction, but none of his novels until The Enigma of Arrival was published. The title itself was enough to get me to try his fiction. It's a subtly written fictional account of his experience as an immigrant in England. On the dust jacket, the publisher reproduced the painting by Giorgio de Chirico from which the title was taken. I'd never heard of him, but, after investigating, his pre-Surrealist pictures fascinated me. I liked them enough to teach myself to paint so I could copy some since no prints were for sale. Other paintings of his have equally fascinating titles such as The Melancholy of Departure, The Soothsayer's Recompense, and others.

I was in a video store in the mid-80s and saw a tape titled Every Man for Himself, and God against All. Although the title interested me, I never got it from that store. When I looked for it years later, I couldn't find it or any reference to it. I did get another movie for the sake of its title, Aguirre: The Wrath of God, and reading the notes to it, I found that the former was by the same director, Werner Herzog. The title had been changed to The Mystery of Kaspar Hauser for some unexplained reason.

I watched an anthology of animated films awhile ago because it had a short called "A Bitter Message of Hopeless Grief". I didn't have any means of taping it at the time, and I looked for it on home video for years. When I had access to IMDb, it wasn't listed and still isn't. The All-Movie Guide had an entry but with very little information. I recently searched the director's name on Amazon and found a DVD that included it.

That's enough for now. Has anyone else had similar experiences?

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022