SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
salix_gw

A Literary Dilemma (or, what shall I do with this book?)

salix
11 years ago

Greetings from a long time Garden Web member who only recently learned about the RP forum (retirement does have the most amazing benefits!).

My dilemma - Many years ago my mother gave me an old book which she had picked up at her church thrift shop. It is entitled "Sketches of Remarkable People &" by Spencer T. Hall. It is NOT in good condition, as the spine has separated and there is definite foxing. However, it is autographed as follows:

'John Gaukroger, Esqr., Mrs Gaukroger

and Family,

A Keepsake

With the kindest remembrances and

best hopes of their friend,

The Author.

February, 1873.'

My dilemma is whether I should try to send this book to someone in England, Sutton-in-Ashfield where the author (aka 'The Sherwood Forester') was born, as an historical item, or try to locate a member of the Gaukroger family and return it to them. I do not know if there is any value to this book, but there are several very pretty illustrations of the countryside, Florence Nightingale's home, portraits of the author and a very handsome Charles Reece Pemberton.

I am certainly not attempting to sell this book, but if I do not do something with it myself, it will probably be consigned to a dustbin when I am no longer around. The local bookshops/antique shops are not interested at all in old books; I have taken whole sets of turn of the (last) century volumes of Thackeray and none were wanted...

What do you think? Where should I spend my time and energy?

Comments (9)