SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christinmk

Brick Lane- by Monica Ali- Anyone read it?

Hi all! I read this book a over a year ago. It was on one of the front rows in the bookstore and it kept catching my eye. Eventually I picked it up. The first chapter was simply engrossing. Thats where it ended though. It was such a dull book, especially the first half. It droned on and on and pretty much just talked about how Nazneen made rice, her dull existance, and oh yes, her fat old husband's toe problems.

I couldn't sympathize with any of the characters, especially Nazneen. There was little character development and frankly there didn't seem to be any plot or point to this book at all.

I think that most people would find the last half of the book the worst. I agree that it didn't connect with the the first half at all (from trodding uphill at a slow pace it suddenly dropped off a ciff), and that it was rather trite with Nazneen's love affair and all. But I think I enjoyed it slightly because it was at least more active than the first lethargic part.

I think the worst parts were the ones that contained letters from Nazneen's sister back in India that made no sense and seemed to have absolutly nothing to do with the main plot (what little of it there was). These parts, which I couldn't wait to get over, were like speed bumps in an otherwise quick read.

The ending was just a flop. That ice-skating bit was horrible. I have just recently learned that this book was on some list of Best books a few years ago and is quite popular (im not generally one to read the newer and popular books). That just about blew me over. How in the world could this insipid book gain any fame?

I think that this book mostly appeals to modern women living in developed countries who always like books about a females 'liberation' and 'independence' from the life/religion/society that opresses her.

After reading this book I didn't have a strong opinion of it one way or the other. I was far from liking it but also didn't hate it. I was to baffled by it to hate it. When a book baffles me I automatically think its MY fault and I didn't 'get' the point. I have thought about this book once and awhile and, on reflection, I think that the reason I didn't 'get' the point was because this book didn't have one.

I think im a bit annoyed right now that of all the good books out there this book could be chosen to be on any top book list.

Have you read Brick Lane? What did you think of it?

CMK

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus