SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christinmk

Tess of the D'Urbervilles

Tess of the D'Urbervilles, by Thomas Hardy

This was mentioned a couple times in recent posts and reminded me of it. I finished this book a couple of months ago and wanted to comment on it while it was still fresh in my mind.

I didn't like this book. I thought it had potenial, but wasn't quite there. The book seemed kind of akward to me. I think it was because its elements were disproportionate. By elements (for lack of a better title) I mean writing, plot, dialouge, characters, etc. Sometimes you'll run across one of those books that is just in perfect balance of elements, such as Arthur Goldens Memoirs of a Gehisha.

First of all, I think that the style of writing was very segregated and not unified. When Hardy was telling the story through Tess it had a bit more realistic and simplistic feel to it. I think that feel fit with the characters country behaviours. But then, Hardy comes in with his own observations. To me these observations were too grandiose and conflicted with the rest of it.

Some of his comments were rather pretentious too, such as when he described in length the color of weeds and the turn of a birds head (I think what really got me was when he said that a tear running down Angel's cheek magnified his pores, or something to that effect). His metaphors didnt seem to relate to the subject matter at all (or nearly at all).

I liked the quant and streight-forward writing he applied to describing Tess's ordeals, but not his own observations. If those had been eliminated almost entirely I think the plot would have stood out more, and the book would have been genius.

Personally, I disliked Angel more than I did Alex. Hardy is very confusing in his details (or lack thereof). We dont actually know that Alex raped Tess. It could have been that Tess wasn't resolute enough and gave in to Alex's advancements.

There is some conflicting scentiments on this point. On the way back to her parents house Tess berates Alex for what he did to her. Obviously this implies that she did not encorage him; that he forced her. But then Alex says he will marry her. Huh? Then it wasnt all his fault. He's willing to marry her, he just should have done it earlier.

I really loathed Angel. He was such a hypocrite! He himself was not 'pure', and regreted that. But he couldn't forgive Tess for not being pure herself. Supposedly he didn't approve of the old, conventional beliefs (such as his family practiced). But he WAS conventional in the fact that he wouldn't accept Tess simply because she wasn't a virgin.

I felt sorry for Tess, but only to a certain degree. There is one question I still have though. Do you remember that passage just after she returned to her parents home? Her mother didn't seem disturbed by her loss of virtue or her condition. Her childhood friends (female ones) came to see her and welcomed her back. She was admired by the male workers in the fields. It seems to me that these simple folk didn't really care that Tess had had a baby...

Comments (12)