Mysteries--desperate for recommendations--Part 2
16 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (63)
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
Related Discussions
Fire and Ice Hydrangea
Comments (40)I love my fire and Ice. It needs at least 6 hours of full sun. Moist soil for all Hydrangeas. I am a designer and went to school for this 3 1/2years pt. Time. Mine does turn a beautiful fushcia in the fall every year. Maybe some that dont were miss marked. That can happen....See Morepruning recommendations - Part II
Comments (43)I don't know who WF Sinjen was but I learned lacing from my father who probably learned it from his father. I've been doing it from the time you were still in diapers Spectre!!!!!!! Anyway, I always start by getting inside and working out. Get rid of all the crossing branches and all the clutter of small branches. As you get rid of all this inner growth the branch structure begins to show itself. Then you can keep working out to the tips removing branches that repeat higher and lower ones. If you have three going in the same general direction most often you can get rid of the middle one and thus open up the outer edge. This gets the branches spreading so that more air and light come through. In the end you will have a shrub or tree that has a natural shape and whose structure can be seen. If you have ever been to southern California you will know what we are talking about as it is done by all the cities there. I personally think they take it too far, They prune to almost leave the trees leafless and then, the trees barely start to grow when the tree crews come through to prune again. Actually, I think it started in Disneyland. From the time they opened in 1955 they began lacing their trees. chris ps. I am sure glad we got back on to a garden topic, sorry, I was lost and starting to get bored....See Morekitchen faucets - 1 handle, 2 handle, and reliable brand
Comments (7)On a day to day basis, I much prefer a one handle faucet. Before I changed my countertops I noticed my sister's sink had a lot of water around the faucet - and running down the island countertop (her sink is in her island.) She now keeps a small towel there to catch the water, but this water comes from her wet hands turning the water on an off. She actually has a single handle, but I figured it would be twice as bad with two. I have my handle positioned over the sink so drips fall into the sink. https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~58831076 This doesn't address your parts issue, but my faucet was very heavy and my plumber thought it was a good faucet. Several years ago my kitchen faucet died, and I bought a home center Delta to get me by for a while. The faucet looked sad after a year - the faux chrome peeling off. Surprisingly, the faucet, even with the plastic parts, lasted many years till I could change out my counters. It wasn't great, but it worked, did not drip or leak. I am not recommending plastic parts by any means, but a good name brand bought at a plumb supply shop or ordered through a reputable online company should last many years. (Some name brands like Delta also make "home center price faucets" and these are mostly plastic and not recommended.) Generally, there is a standard width from faucet to handle which makes replacing faucets easier - but I agree, a single handle is a safe way to go. I do really like my bathroom delta faucets - most over 15 years old. However, my Delta replacement cartridges, which are easy to change out, have not lasted as long as the original cartridges....See MoreDMX and Delta FL for Laminate floors and tiles height dilemma
Comments (6)The tiles will normally sit roughly 3/4" high. If you assume a 12mm laminate (1/2") and 6mm cork (1/4"), you can achieve a floor-height match with the 6mil vapour barrier. Anything else and your laminate WILL sit higher than the tile. If you want tile but NOT cold, you can install in-floor radiant heat. This will drive the price of your install out of your price range (I'm guessing here) and cost a small fortune to run. If you do it PROPERLY (that means adding in a thermal break underneath the heating system) you can add several thousands of dollars onto the project and add almost an 1" of floor height onto the already raised height for the tile+heating system. Your 3/4" tile install can turn into almost 3" floor height raise. Believe it or not, keeping it simple is going to keep things simple (I know! Right?!). Again this is why I like to work with the SIMPLE 6mil poly (no height) + 6mm cork (1/4") + 1/2" laminate = 3/4" floor height. Compare that to the 3/4" tile install. Wow! It's identical! No need to worry about floor height differences. If you go higher, you will need to instruction your tile installer to use a sloped transition while installing your tile. You will need to know the TOTAL floor height BEFORE the tile setter is involved because they will need to set the shlutter transition WHILE he is tiling. In essence you want to keep this simple. My suggested method means BEAUTIFULLY MATCHED floor heights. Your choices are creating a complexity to a situation that does not exist. Feel free to rethink the DMX/Delta FL option. It is creating SOOOO many problems. If you remove DMX/Delt from the situation the problems go away....See More- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
Related Stories

DOORSKnow Your House: Interior Door Parts and Styles
Learn all the possibilities for your doors, and you may never default to the standard six-panel again
Full Story
CONTRACTOR TIPSBuilding Permits: The Submittal Process
In part 2 of our series examining the building permit process, learn what to do and expect as you seek approval for your project
Full Story
LANDSCAPE DESIGNMoss: Nature’s Carpet for the Garden
Learn how to grow and use this ancient and mysterious natural wonder for delightful texture in the landscape
Full Story
HOMES AROUND THE WORLDWorld of Design: 11 Book Lovers and Where They Like to Read
Bibliophiles across the globe reveal their top books and favorite reading spots, from a 2-story library to an artfully curated book nook
Full Story
MOVINGRelocating? Here’s How to Make the Big Move Better
Moving guide, Part 1: How to organize your stuff and your life for an easier household move
Full Story
CONTRACTOR TIPSBuilding Permits: 10 Critical Code Requirements for Every Project
In Part 3 of our series examining the building permit process, we highlight 10 code requirements you should never ignore
Full Story
MOST POPULARHow to Create an Inventory, Whether You're Naturally Organized or Not
Documenting your home items is essential, even if disaster seems unimaginable. And it may be easier than you think
Full Story
MOST POPULARFirst Things First: How to Prioritize Home Projects
What to do when you’re contemplating home improvements after a move and you don't know where to begin
Full Story
WINDOW TREATMENTS9 Ideas for a Beautifully Draped Home
Go bold with your curtains and drapes for all the privacy you need and heightened drama too
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNDetermine the Right Appliance Layout for Your Kitchen
Kitchen work triangle got you running around in circles? Boiling over about where to put the range? This guide is for you
Full Story
msmeow