SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kayec28

Searching for title of mystery/thriller

kayec28
13 years ago

Can anyone please help me identify the title and author of this book?

I'm guessing the time period it was written would be between the late 90's to the present.

The protagonist is a washed-up professor who made the mistake of sleeping with the wife of a big donor or someone on the board of the college where he taught. When they got found out, he got the ax, and then she stabbed him in the back because she was never going to leave her husband, or her husband's money. Now he's back home(pretty sure it's set in the south) and living on his mother's land in kind of a shack. They have a lot of acres of marshy-type land,which the hero loves. He likes to watch birds and there's a whooping crane on his land that ends up being a pivotal plot point. The professor witnesses some sort of drug transaction on the adjoining property where some millionaire bigwig lives. I believe he witnesses a murder but I don't think he reports it. I can't remember why. I don't think he wants the law on his land, and he wants to keep the whooping crane on his land too, although he's supposed to report it as an endangered species. A female university professor comes to see him about studying the birds on his property and she ends up either staying with him or staying close by. She uses a little bit of blackmail to get her way, after she spots the whooping crane. That's all I remember other than the protagonist spies on some sort of conference on his neighbor's property to try and find out what's going on.

I think the author was male, and the title of the book may have had a play on words with some reference to birds.

Does this sound familiar?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz