SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
phaedosia

A Good Man is Hard to Find

phaedosia
17 years ago

*SPOILERS*

Re-reading this short story after about seven or eight years, I was struck by its violence. This surprised me, since the way I had remembered it was primarily as a caricature of the Grandmother and her overly simplified approach to religion, life, etc. I was really squirming as her family was taken off and systematically shot. I kept thinking, "Oh jeez. I volunteered to lead a discussion on this. I told them it was funny. They just shot the kids."

Anyhow. ..

Flannery O'Connor gives some interesting insights into her works in some of the essays she wrote. Here are her own thoughts on violence and the grotesque in Southern fiction:

"Some may blame preoccupation with the grotesque on the fact that here we have a Southern writer and that this is just the type of imagination that Southern life fosters. . . .I find it hard to believe that what is observable behavior in one section can be entirely without parallel in another. . . .When you can assume that your audience holds the same beliefs you do, you can relax a little and use more normal means of talking to it; when you have assume that it does not, then you have to make your vision apparent by shock--to the hard of hearing you shout, and for the almost-blind you draw large and startling figures." --from "The Fiction Writer and His Country"

". . .in my own stories I have found that violence is strangely capable of returning my characters to reality and preparing them to accept their moment of grace. . . .We hear many complaints about the prevalence of violence in modern fiction, and it is always assumed that this violence is a bad thing and meant to be an end in itself. With the serious writer, violence is never an end in itself. It is the extreme situation that best reveals what we are essentially. . . ." --from "On Her Own Work"

So what were your impressions? Do you think the violent turn was necessary to the meaning of the story? What do you think is the meaning of this story? Did you find anything humorous?

Don't have a copy of the story and not sure you want to buy it?

Here is a link that might be useful: A Good Man is Hard to Find

Comments (21)