Kristin Lavransdatter- discussion
19 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (111)
- 19 years ago
- 19 years ago
Related Discussions
APRIL: What are you reading?
Comments (104)I just finished Pretty Birds by Scott Simon for my book club. I found myself reluctant to read this novel but once I finally got going, had trouble putting it down. It is a story of daily life in Sarajevo under siege as seen primarily through the eyes of a teenaged girl. She seemed quite realistic to me with her fascination with celebrity; her mix of genuine affection and scorn for her parents; and her acceptance of the doubtful odds that she would survive into adulthood. My next book is The Annotated Pride and Prejudice. I heard the annotater David Shapard on public radio and was greatly intrigued. I like to think that I know a reasonable amount about life in Austen's times, but I suspect I am about to learn a great deal more. Rosefolly...See MoreKristin Lavransdatter Trilogy
Comments (1)Beatriz, several of us here have read this trilogy. We even had a discussion of it several years ago. I own a copy of the original version (it has since been updated and re-published with language changes). I consider it a formidable, awesome reading experience, especially the ending. Did anyone here archive the discussion we had on this?...See MoreNovember - Thankful for books
Comments (92)Last night, I finally finished Old Filth. I hated to have to take a break from it, but there were book club books that needed to be read first (The Woman Who Walked Into Doors - Roddy Doyle, and Main Street by Sinclair Lewis). Thank you to everyone who recommended this book. Like WIG, I was shocked at the parents' treatment of the Raj orphans. We have but one childhood and it seemed such a sad way to spend it. Yes, cece, I did read Guernsey twice. Like you, I must have a copy. But it seems that my copy has been out to friends and family for the past month being loved and shared by all who pick it up. Siobhan, so sorry to hear about your full time job. I have my fingers crossed and wish you the best in your search for another. In the meantime, enjoy that tea and your books! I am quite envious. Please tell us what your are knitting, too! If memory serves, it was last year at about this time that we started a thread pertaining to our knitting projects. Perhaps we should do so again since this cold winter weather seems to make us all pick up our needles. I am now turning back to Main Street by Sinclair Lewis. Book club has come and gone. Although I gave it "the ol' college try", I failed to finish it in time for the meeting. I would like to finish it. However, the library just called... I have two books on hold. Decisions, decisions. HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL OUR FRIENDS FROM THE USA, and to all of our friends from other nations, I give thanks for your friendship. PAM...See MoreFAN CLUB: Books over 500 pages
Comments (34)Thank you all for sharing! So many of you have mentioned excellent books that I had not mentioned. The Historian, for example. Others, like Kristin Lavransdatter, I still want to read, have gone through the trouble to buy, and look at them every now and again as they wait patiently on my shelf. Frieda, I have read Collapse and found it hard to put down. That book formed the basis for many side books into the societies mentioned therein. I have Guns, Germs, and Steel; see note in above paragraph re: books waiting patiently. As for 1491, I KNOW I read it. I remember bits of it, but cannot find it listed in my book journal. I have searched back to 2001 and found nothing. This is odd as I find a perverse sort of satisfaction logging a book into my journal. I also read Tony Horwitz's A Voyage Long and Strange (only 445 pages)which covers a bit of the same ground, but I do not believe I am confusing the two books. annpan, your post made my laugh. You've been robbed! Love it! I recently read the new Elizabeth George book. Most of her Lynley titles are doorstops. But I cannot truly put any of them on a "fan club" list. They were okay, some better than others, but nothing I truly remember, nothing that was thought-provoking. And this last one felt choppy, disconnected, and just plain "off". PAM...See More- 19 years ago
- 19 years ago
- 19 years ago
- 19 years ago
- 19 years ago
- 19 years ago
- 19 years ago
- 19 years ago
- 19 years ago
- 19 years ago
- 19 years ago
- 19 years ago
- 19 years ago
- 19 years ago
- 19 years ago
- 19 years ago
- 18 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 12 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
Related Stories

HOUZZ TV FAVORITESHouzz TV: A New England Farmhouse Explodes With Color
Creativity and color burst from every corner in this unique 18th-century Massachusetts home for an artist and her family
Full Story
ROOTS OF STYLEArt Deco, Art Nouveau, Arts and Crafts: What’s the Difference?
If the zigzag and swirly designs of the past leave your head spinning, these descriptions will straighten you right out
Full Story
DOORSDiscover the Ins and Outs of Pocket Doors
Get both sides of the pocket door story to figure out if it's the right space separator for your house
Full Story
WORKING WITH PROSWhat Do Landscape Architects Do?
There are many misconceptions about what landscape architects do. Learn what they bring to a project
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESProtect a Precious Resource With a Rain Garden
Promote pure water and a beautiful landscape with a garden design that makes the most of the rain
Full Story
MOST POPULARDecorating 101: How Much Is This Going to Cost Me?
Learn what you might spend on DIY decorating, plus where it’s good to splurge or scrimp
Full Story
REMODELING GUIDESLinoleum, the All-Purpose Flooring Wonder
Dashing in a rainbow of colors, able to be cleaned with ease and courteous to budgets everywhere, linoleum is a super choice for floors
Full Story
ECLECTIC STYLEBeautiful Clutter? These 13 Rooms Say Go for It
No need to haul cartons to Goodwill for a picture-perfect room. You can have a well-decorated home and all your stuff too
Full Story
LIFEHouzz Call: Where (and What) Are You Reading This Summer?
Whether you favor contemporary, classic or beach reads, do the long and lazy days of summer bring out the lit lover in you?
Full Story
COLORWhy You Should Paint Your Walls More Than One Color
Using multiple colors can define zones, highlight features or just add that special something
Full Story
carolyn_ky