Houzz Logo Print
frances_md

Little Free Library

14 years ago

On the NBC Nightly News this evening there was a segment on Little Free Libraries. The segment can be viewed at the link below. What a wonderful idea!

Here is a link that might be useful: Little Free Libraries

Comments (30)

  • 14 years ago

    frances - I wrote about this on my blog a couple of days ago. (I'm taking an online blogging class). I think it's a fabulous idea. I hope it keeps growing.

  • 14 years ago

    Frances; I like the idea. We have similar 'book swap' venues in the UK, especially in rural areas where some communities have bought their old red telephone boxes and filled them with books.
    Perhaps I should try and do the same in our village where, once again the County Council is trying to close many branch libraries and do away with the mobile service. It is only a few months since it lost its case in the High Court and was forced to pay costs . . . but nothing daunted it is determined to get its own way. ;-(

    Here is a link that might be useful: Red Phone Boxes

  • Related Discussions

    Little Free Libraries

    Q

    Comments (12)
    How sweet. It wouldn't work around here, but I know it would work elsewhere, especially rural areas or small towns. I've stayed in vacation homes with libraries of paperbacks where you are invited to take one and asked to leave one that you have finished. It's interesting to see the range of material. I can walk to my local library, so that works for me! Another great source of free books is paperbackswap.com. You list the books you have and want to swap, and then someone will ask for it. You send it and get a credit for a book that you would like to read that someone else has offered. It isn't fast but it is fun. I think they do cd's and dvd's now too. Here is a link that might be useful: paperback swap
    ...See More

    Site of the Day June 22

    Q

    Comments (2)
    I think that is really cool! I might just have to do this.
    ...See More

    Do you have little free libraries in your town?

    Q

    Comments (16)
    Little Free Library The project for little libraries has gone world wide! Great project. I have tons of books I want to get rid of I sure could fill up a lot of little libraries! I hosted a book swap at the garden club meeting here at my house. You could bring one or more and take one or more any left over were given to NAM for their book section in their store. It was a great success. I also really like bookcrossing.com Book Crossing You can put their label in the book (print it ) and then release the book into the wild and watch it as it moves from person to person. You can also go in search of books that have been released, like a treasure hunt.
    ...See More

    berm/boulevard/mow strip landscaping ideas needed for our "parklet"

    Q

    Comments (4)
    Thanks very much to both of you! I appreciate your responses. Doug, your mock-up looks similar to what I had in my head. Love it. Bourbon, I didn't know about the name hellstrip, which opens me up to lots more possibilities when searching for ideas.
    ...See More
  • 14 years ago

    sc, is your blog online where we can read? I didn't realize that blogging classes exist.

    vee, I love the red phone box. People are so creative. It is a shame about your libraries. Our libraries are suffering greatly, too, here in one of the most wealthy counties in the US. At a time when more people are in need of libraries their funding has been so reduced they have a problem acquiring new books.

  • 14 years ago

    I love this! I hope I can do this after I move later this year. I wonder if I could have one of these at work? Will have to get on this.

  • 14 years ago

    frances -- My blog is online. Thanks for asking. I'm still working on it, but it's coming along nicely. I've already mentioned RP a couple of times. I'd love to have your feedback if you visit. (Link below) And if you like it, please "Follow" me.

    I was going to start a thread here about it, because I seem to remember a few others here who have a blog.

    Here is a link that might be useful: Recovering Book Snob

  • 14 years ago

    Have you seen this about the Guerilla Libraries in NYC? One guy is experimenting with turning phone booths into libraries. He's designed shelving that fits right in. Now he just needs some Ninja Librarians for them.

    Here is a link that might be useful: Guerrilla Libraries

  • 14 years ago

    sc, your blog is really nice and I did like it. I didn't think I had an account to "follow" your blog but remembered setting up a Google account with my Master Gardener group and it worked -- so you have a new follower.

    I'm wondering what my homeowners association would say if I set up a Little Free Library next to the sidewalk in my yard. I'm sure they can find a rule that prohibits it but I'm in a good location for one and can certainly populate it with books. Building it will be a problem, too. I have to think about it.

  • 14 years ago

    Thanks, frances, and thank you for "following" me.

    I don't know about your HOA, but if they're like so many of them, they can be pretty rigid. Too bad, a little free library in your yard would be great. I think you can buy them pre-made, too. I think it says that on the site I linked to.

  • 14 years ago

    Thank you for the blog, Vikki, which I very much enjoyed reading. and thank you, Frances, for introducing me to 'Little Free Libraries'. I find the whole thing extremely moving. How books bring people together! I cannot help thinking how very much my partner, Stan Barstow, the English novelist and short story-writer who died last year, would have applauded and approved. I have never known such a voracious reader as him, and he used to say that libraries gave him his education.

    So far, touch wood and keep praying, our local library in this village in s. Wales doesn't seem to be having problems..... But I think we must beware of leading councils into thinking that, because these little libraries exist and are so popular and growing, therefore they can replace Real library buildings.

    But we shouldn't even need to THINK along these lines! It makes me boil that people (councils) can be so crass, stupid, insensitive, penny-pinching and anti-education that they can even THINK about closing libraries, let alone put their anti-social thoughts into action! It's the same way of thinking which makes schools cut down on or even cut OUT Literature, Drama, Music, Art from their curriculum as a way of saving money. Oh really - it takes my breath away! To me, these subjects should be at the core of any core curriculum - as developing sensitivity in individuals, helping them identify with others, teaching and showing them, from as early an age as possible, what it means to be HUMAN! Everything else is and should be secondary to that.

    Dido

  • 14 years ago

    I love this idea. And guess what?! You just can't do THAT with a kindle. There is nothing like a REAL book, is there?

    PAM

  • 14 years ago

    I just love the idea of a library in a phone box, especially the lovely, old-fashioned English ones. The NYC ones look like they might be worse for wear in a rain or snow storm, though the design is fantastic otherwise. And I agree whole-heartedly with PAM, you just can't do that with a Kindle!

  • 14 years ago

    I love the idea of the Little Free Library! The local senior center has a free library of the sort - an entire wall of shelves. I'm always taking in Sister's romance novels which feels like a cheat, but they disappear readily enough.

    Vicki/SC, your blog is delightful. Keep up the good work.

    PAM/TBD, I very much miss the sharing of books my sisters and I did pre-kindle.

  • 14 years ago

    Thanks, Dido and Chris. I"m glad you enjoyed my blog. I'm really having fun working on it.

    Regarding Dido's post about libraries and humanaties subjects being cut: I may have been reading too many dystopian novels lately, but it seems to me that deep cuts in these areas result in less educated people (citizens) - making them more malleable, so that they can be more easily manipulated. Am I being paranoid?

  • 14 years ago

    sarah canary it isn't just cuts that are resulting in a less well educated generation (although I think they are often offered as an excuse). In the UK pupils now follow a 'National Curriculum' and many subjects have become very much more narrow in their range; teachers no longer seem able or willing to 'teach around the subject' . . . I'm sure we all remember someone who inspired us to read further/look deeper.
    My DH, for many years a chemistry teacher , bemoaned the trend away from basic 'scientific principles', even whole 'topics' such as the study of 'light' no longer being on the timetable. He felt the subject had become over-loaded with 'anti-science' "all chemicals are toxic", energy-saving and environmental issues all important. This combined with 'Health and Safety' issues and thus curtailing of experiments, made teaching and learning very restricting.
    From my POV, and speaking as someone who has been out of full-time education since the mid '60's, I bemoan the fact that I didn't have the chance to study the Classics, especially Latin. Not that I was a great academic or scholar but I do feel the lack of this fundamental discipline.
    I don't know about manipulation of less educated groups in the UK, but I do wonder about religious fundamentalism that appears to be 'taught' in parts of your country. This is not a problem over here and I don't want to tread on any toes over this 'issue'. Is anyone free/able to comment?

    BTW Vicki, I enjoyed your blog.

  • 14 years ago

    Vicki, there's that as well. Who knows!

  • 14 years ago

    I will have a little free library in front of my house before long-thank you so much for sharing this information-what a fabulous idea

  • 14 years ago

    Vee - so glad you enjoyed the blog. I'm working on more posts.

    Pam53 - Please post a picture here when you get your little library up.

  • 14 years ago

    Pam53, I would love to see a photo also.

    PAM

  • 14 years ago

    Vicki, I don't think you're being paranoid at all. And Dido, I completely agree with your bemoaning the cuts in the fine arts, the humanities, etc. It's the beheading of the history of Western Civilization, IMO. And Vee, yes, you are correct; the growth of anti-science Fundamentalism in the U.S. is having quite a deleterious effect upon many educational systems in America, as well as upon our present-day politics. Come on over to the Gardemweb Hot Topics forum to see the prolific discussions on this issue....

  • 14 years ago

    I will most definitely "try" to post a picture when I get the library up-it may be a month-waiting for good weather (to stay) Try, meaning I have a heck of a time trying to figure out how to post pictures anywhere!

  • 14 years ago

    Look!
    Knoxville's first Little Free Library
    is on my side of town. Wish I had a good place for one.

  • 14 years ago

    That's great. I keep thinking I should put one in my front yard -- what little yard there is. I think the neighbors might actually love it.

  • 14 years ago

    Do it !!
    And post a photo for inspiration.

  • 14 years ago

    Many of the nurses' locker rooms and/or lounges at the hospital where I worked had tables where available books could be tossed for the taking.

  • 14 years ago

    We've got Little Free Libraries here in St. Paul. I can walk to at least four of them in our historic downtown neighborhood. The boxes are so cute! I think I'll take photos of them next time. . .

  • 14 years ago

    I still don't have my little library but it will be up, I vow, by next spring. I keep a picture of one so I can always see it. So many things are and have been happening in my life and the lives of those I love it just hasn't been able to be done-yet.

  • 11 years ago

    There was an article in our local newspaper yesterday saying that the city is installing several Little Free Libraries in an low-income area where the nearest public library branch is three miles away and stocking them mostly with children's books. It showed photos of some of them, looking pretty much like bird houses and cute as can be. I hope they are a runaway success.


  • 11 years ago

    We have one in my neighborhood, and it seems to be thriving. When the homeowners installed a new fence, they also put up the Little Library. It's adorable.


  • 11 years ago

    There is a charming little free library a few blocks from where I live in the city of Charleston. I actually contributed a book to it. Love the idea!


  • 11 years ago

    We have one in our neighborhood... Love it!