SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trublu_gw

New and VERY Inexperienced

trublu
16 years ago

Hello all,

We moved to our new house in Oct'06 and the garden has a large pond (approx 15' x 6' and upto 5' at its deepest)with approx 30-40 fish in it (sorry - I have no idea what they are - grey carp mostly I think!). The previous owners have moved abroad and took with them the pump, which I subsequently learnt wasn't the end of the world in October as the pond was getting ready for winter anyway. We've now got a pump going and the water is circulating through a home-built filter system of brushes and what I take to be 'corals' then out through an 8' stream.

Everything had been going fine since March (when we started the pump)and the pond was becoming clearer and the free of debris etc. All was ok until last week, when in the space of just 36hours the pond dropped by about 3-4". The previous owner had told me in an email that during the summer he regularly left the tap on to spray a little water in just to keep it topped up. Knowing nothing about ponds I assumed that was an ok thing to do, but now a friend has warned me of the dangers of chlorine etc in tap water - although he believes it's ok to alter upto 20% of the pond with regular tap water at any one time without causing harm to the fish.

I can't seem to find the definite answer I'm looking for as to whether leaving the tap on overnight every night to keep the pond 'topped up' is an ok thing to do? The pond itself is very clear at the moment - I can pretty much see the bottom. The fish appear to be ok, although the last two days have seen a sudden drop in temperatures where I live and I understand that may be why they've not been fussed about feeding and have remained near the bottom of the pond.

I don't have the foggiest as to how I go about locating the leak and fixing it!!!

I would really appreciate any helpful hints and tips.

Thanks

Comments (6)

Sponsored