SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aoki_gw

Please help! Inexperienced soapstone fabricator woes :-(

aoki
13 years ago

Ack! I'm totally freaking out and I'm hoping you guys can help me. I've learned so much from this forum over the years, and you guys seem to know everything!

After researching and looking for the perfect soapstone slabs for over a year, we *finally* purchased Green Mountain soapstone slabs (3 cm) for our kitchen a couple weeks ago. We were super excited to find them, and the anticipation of seeing them in our finished kitchen has been killing us. We just can't wait!

But now we are extremely nervous, and agonizing over how badly our inexperienced soapstone fabricator might mess up our dream (not to mention $$$) slabs! We're doing a whole house remodel and the price of the fabrication has already been included in our overall contract which includes a 3 cm laminate edge (for a total of 6 cm edge) for all the counters. The problem is our GC sent us to a fabricator that is unfamiliar with soapstone. Needless to say, this makes us very nervous.

Today, he has asked a question that I had no idea how to answer. He is the fabricator -- I figured he should know right?! Alas, he's never worked with soapstone and says he doesn't want to be responsible for doing something really wrong...

So now here I am, asking you guys for help/advice, in the hopes of guiding him so he doesn't mess up our slabs too badly. Sigh :-(

Anyway, here is what he asked after looking at the slabs today:

He wants to know if the slabs were already finished at the factory? In other words, were already sanded to the correct grit like granite slabs come with their finish already applied? Does he only need to sand the edges of the slab to make the eased laminate edge, or does he need to sand the entire face of the slab with an orbital sander? Naturally, he's worried about messing up the slabs.

Also, what grit should he use to do the sanding? 80 grit, 120 grit, or 220 grit? Higher than that? Our slabs are a very hard variety of Green Mountain slabs that are a dark black/charcoal with white & rust veining (along with some quartz chunks in the stone.)

Any assistance or advice you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated. I'm so nervous that our beautiful slabs are about to be ruined :-( Thanks in advance.

Comments (27)