SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bellberry

Dormant Kerria and an inexperienced gardener

bellberry
11 years ago

Hi everyone.
I'm new to these forums and also to plants.

Recently I decided I wanted to try my hand at raising a flower despite my complete lack of experience. However, I was hoping to get some help from someone here! I did a few searches and couldn't find what I need, so I decided to register and make a post. Apologies if the answer is hidden somewhere and I missed it!

Since I love the color, I chose the Kerria as my first plant. I bought it from eBay and the seller informed me it was the single bloom variety, so I think it's probably the Golden Guinea. However, I've had it for two weeks now and it's still not growing anything!

I live in Houston, TX and the weather here has been mild to warm the past two weeks, and a bit hot the past couple days. The plant was in storage before I got it, and when it arrived it was just roots and a couple stems. A week ago I sent the seller some pictures, and they reassured me by saying it was still in dormancy. However, I didn't get any estimate on how long it might be dormant. Also, I believe the soil I bought was some kind of ... baby plant nuturing type...? It's just from Lowe's. I don't really know since I am completely new to this. Also also I try to water it whenever the soil feels dry, which has been really sporadic.

I heard that the Kerria is also called the Easter Rose, and tends to bloom around the end of March or so. Should I be worried? Additionally, do you have any tips on raising Kerria for a Super Plant Beginner like me? I'd love as much information as possible!!

If you'd like to see the other photos, they're located at this album here: https://picasaweb.google.com/104037830678632675367/KerriaOrYamabuki?authuser=0amp;feat=directlink
I also attached the most recent photo I took, from today (March 19).

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

This post was edited by bellberry on Tue, Mar 19, 13 at 16:33

Comments (9)