SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
samalive4

starting kerria japonica

S K
6 years ago
Hello, I have ordered some 4” kerria plants to go along my fence, as a deer deterrent. Any suggestions for starting these? I am in New York, zone 7a and it has been a cold winter, sometimes 3-4 ft of snow. Should i go ahead and plant these now to get a head start? Is it better to pot them indoors, then transplant in a few months? Will the animals eat the 4” plants?

Any other suggestions welcome - spacing, fertilizer, root barrier, etc.

Thank you!

Comments (20)

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    6 years ago

No quality nursery would be shipping plants now. They'd likely freeze during transit. When you get them--in early spring--plant them in a sheltered spot until fall when they'll be a little bigger, then set them out, with some protection against varmints just for their first winter.

BTW, kerrias are extremely vigorous plants that sucker constantly and will spread as far as they can. I'd set them 8-10 feet apart at least--maybe more. No fertilizer needed.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    6 years ago

agreed .. call the supplier and tell them to send them at the appropriate planting time ... or put them on notice that if they fail.. due to sending them now.. you expect them to be replaced ...

snow is irrelevant.. you dont mention temps ... and i surely dont know your zone ....

if they are sent.. pot them all into one pot of damp media ... and shove them in the garage ...i would call this.. HOLDING THEM OVER....

they should be dormant.. and they should be held dormant.. until proper planting time .... they are not houseplants .... they are fully cold hardy in my cold z5 ... there is no reason they shouldnt be able to take everything z7 might throw at them ...

i doubt they will ever need fert ...

and i have no clue what you mean by root barrier ....

ken

• Related Discussions

WANTED: Kerria Japonica/Japanese Kerria shrub

Q

Comments (1)
    I HAVE this plant. I forgot to click have instead of want.
    ...See More

WANTED: Have Kerria roses/Japonica roses

Q

Comments (6)
    I'm interested in your kerria. Are you looking for Campsis radicans (Trumpet vine)? I can send a sucker if that's what you are looking for. I also have Brown Turkey figs (unrooted). Karyn
    ...See More

Kerria japonica 'Pleniflora' - Supposed to be double flowered?

Q

Comments (8)
    i disagree with both ... it is stunning in mixed form ... why not enjoy both ... i would not call it invasive.. popping up everywhere ... i would call it somewhat clumping ... and a bit meandering ... what moves around is very shallow rooted.. and can usually be grabbed and pulled out.. almost back to mom ... and then shared with friends... at the old house.. a neighbor had them as an understory plant to very high pruned trees .. bright with good soil but shade.. they where very whimsical ... i brought some of those to the new house .. and planted them in mineral sand.. in full blistering sun ... with mulch ... and they survive.. but they are pretty ratty looking by late summer.. are about half the size.. etc ... yours may or may not like the spot you have them in ... but you will be hard pressed to kill it ... move it in fall.. if you decide its in too much sun ... [proper water is probably my biggest problem ...] ken
    ...See More

Twig blight/leaf spot on kerria japonica?

Q

Comments (1)
    Hi, I just bought a couple of these plants and they also have the dark blotches on the older leaves. I don't think it is anything to worry about since the younger leaves look just fine. I have had somthing similar on my lamium and goutweed. Both were severely stressed early in the season because of our drought. I cut them back to the ground and they are both regrowing beautifully. However, I would not recommend cutting back the kerria since it blooms on old wood. My guess is that the spots on the kerrias are related to some sort of stress.
    ...See More
  • S K
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you all for the comments. The supplier mailed these out already. According to them, it's better to plant them asap because the more time they have in ground, during dormancy, the better.

It does seem to me a bit risky to plant 4" shrubs in 15-30 F temperatures, with snow (especially with the deer, rabbits, cats outside). Maybe I should keep them indoors, in small pots, and put them out in March?

I heard these shrubs spread quickly, thus the root barrier, to prevent them from creeping into my neighbors yard. Is that being overly cautious?

I have a 4 ft fence, which deer jump over like nothing. The plan is to plant these along the fence to prevent them jumping a wider distance.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    6 years ago

Pot them up but do not keep indoors - as Ken said, these are not houseplants :-) Store in a cool area (garage, shed, unheated basement) until they can be placed outside. I would still wait to plant out directly until they have developed some size to them.......maybe early fall.

• S K
    Original Author
    6 years ago

gardenga148, how much sun would they need? what size pots should I get? 6 inches?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    6 years ago

They need no sun while still dormant :-) Once they leaf out and can be placed outside, they can remain in light shade until planting time.

If you use a good, high quality and fast draining potting mix, a 6" pot is fine. But if you are using a standard commercial potting mix, I'd start smaller and pot up as necessary.

• S K
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Any recommendations on good, easy to acquire potting mix? Thanks!
  • NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I also wouldn't use this supplier again since sending at this time is inappropriate due to your temperatures. Keep the documentation so if they fail you have it, and take photos of the plants when they arrive also. Next time before ordering, look the supplier up on Garden Watchdog to read reviews from other gardeners. You will avoid sending money to suppliers that aren't reliable. You can also leave reviews of your own once you have experience with particular suppliers.

I also have a bit of advice on using Houzz/Garden Web. When you crosspost to several forums as you have done here, it doesn't show up on the Garden Web forums for those of us who enter from the Garden Web side of things, a remnant of old programming. So those who come from the GW side, including many quite experienced shrub growers, aren't seeing this when they look at the shrub forum - it doesn't show up in the list of posts at all. You might want to go to the shrub forum using the green link and post just there. It will show up twice for those entering from the Houzz side, but at least everyone can see it.

• S K
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you NH. They actually came 2-3 ft high and we planted them in 6” pots using commercial shrub soil. Will transplant them when the weather changes. I may plant one or two to see how they fare with the deer and rabbits roaming about.

Any suggestions? Thank you.
  • NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    6 years ago

Is your soil frozen and do they have leaves? If not, I would plant them outside in the ground ASAP before they start leafing out indoors. Water enough to settle the soil and mulch them well. Then I would put an arch of chicken wire over the whole row to protect them from deer and rabbits. After the first season, you will have to decide if you want to protect them or let them take their chances next winter. If they have leafed out, I would put them on a wheeled cart that you can pull outside on warm days and pull inside to a bright area whenever it will be below freezing such as night and cold days. It will be inconvenient but will save you the hassle of having to harden them off in spring and will help prevent the etiolated growth that will most likely happen indoors without grow lights, even in a sunny area.

IME two 5' fences a few feet apart is a better deer deterrent than any plant. Or I was fairly successful with posts and a random zigzag of clear high test fishing line at several levels. They found it difficult to see well and couldn't figure out how to get through it. A double fence has a similar effect since they can't determine a clear landing. They don't have good 3D vision, so judging distance is difficult for them. Deer will eat anything if they are hungry enough IME if it isn't protected and you have a herd. Sometimes just making your plants more difficult to access than the neighbors' is enough. There are also sprays, both commercial and homemade that can discourage deer foraging. Especially if used early in the season when fawns are learning what tastes good, it can help encourage them to look elsewhere, but it does need to be reapplied after it rains.

• S K
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you again. Leaves have been cleared from the soil, but the temperatures can go down to 20 F or less, and we are expecting another round of snow (NY).

From the picture, there are some tiny leaves. Hopefully this winter will pass soon and I can plant them in a few weeks. These will be going along the road, outside our 4 ft fence. Town has codes regarding fencing, so I don't think chicken wire and fishing lines are an option. I am hoping these will grow along the existing 4 ft fence, and create a depth that will prevent the deers from hopping. That is if they survive to mature....

I have been using liquid fence. Seems to help, but it's hard to reapply after every snow/rain. So the deers do jump the fence on occasion and graze in my yard, generally making a mess.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    6 years ago

Put the second fence inside the current fence. It may keep the deer out, though it won't help the Kerria.

• susanzone5 (NY)
    6 years ago

It's WAY too early to plant in zone 7NY. The ground will still freeze and thaw. It can snow till March. That company shouldn't have sent those plants, especially already leafed out (!), this early. And deer do eat kerria.

What Babs said.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    6 years ago

Receiving snow is not the same thing at all as soil freezing......snow is really an insulator. For ground soil to freeze, you need an extended period of time with below freezing air temps, usually several days or more of temps in the mid to low 20's. It is also not all that common for a zone 7 soil to freeze to any measurable extent anyway. In zone 7 in my area, you can plant pretty much at any time of the winter, provided the plant is sufficiently hardy.

Personally, with a plant as winter hardy as kerria, I would plant as soon as the soil is workable, if it is not already. And kerria is typically listed as "seldom severely damaged" by deer, although I would protect any newly planted shrubs as a matter of course.

• susanzone5 (NY)
    6 years ago

With all due respect for your infinite expertise, Gardengal, New York is not the Pacific Northwest. New plants like the OP has will not do well if planted outdoors now.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    6 years ago

With all due respect susanzone 5, a zone 7 is just the same wrt to winter cold temperatures in NY or WA. Or anywhere else with that zonal designation. As is ground freezing. It is just not a common or routine occurrence to any significant degree in ANY zone 7!

Fully frost hardy plants - and even more so, one with a z4 hardiness rating - can be planted any time the soil is workable. It is not the cold that is restrictive but rather the soil conditions at planting time.

• susanzone5 (NY)
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I still disagree. Same zone numbers are different in different parts of the country. Zones have to do with temperature hardiness. The ground is frozen here, temps go up and down, from above and below freezing, everyday, ground goes through freeze-thaw cycles. There is not always snow cover. It is too early to plant something with new leaves and roots in NY.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    6 years ago

"Same zone numbers are different in different parts of the country. Zones have to do with temperature hardiness."

No, they are not. Otherwise plants would be sold with hardiness zones listed that are location specific - eg. a zone 7 NY or a zone 7 TX. All a hardiness zone represents is the average minimum winter low calculated over an extended period of time, usually 30 years or more. So a zone 7 in NY is expected to have an average minimum winter cold the same as a zone 7 anywhere else in the country.

And a zone 7 seldom goes through any significant freeze/thaw cycles because it seldom gets cold enough for a long enough period of time for the soil to freeze to any measurable depth. It could happen and likely did during a couple of polar vortex winters but it is by no means a routine occurrence.

It may very well be too early to plant in your zone 5 NY location, but very likely perfectly fine to plant something as hardy as kerria in a zone 7.

• susanzone5 (NY)
    6 years ago

Gardengal said "All a hardiness zone represents is the average minimum winter low calculated over an extended period of time,"

That's exactly what I said. BUT hardiness zone numbers do not take into consideration the other conditions of an area like rainfall amounts, winds, soil types, humidity, freeze/thaw/heave cycles, snowfall, sunshine, sun position during seasons, cloudiness, and other non-temperature conditions.

So zone 7 in NY can be different than zone 7 in Arizona, for example.