Houzz Logo Print
sean_mckinney_gw

look what fell off the back of a rubbish sk

Sean_McKinney
18 years ago

Oh, I asked before it fell!

{{gwi:2117051}}

{{gwi:2117052}}

I was thinking of using it as a quaratine or hospital tank and or a plant/lily tank, but I have had a cracking idea. If it will fit, the basis for one of two upflow filters for the fish pond. The filters will be upflow veggie filters of the american skippy style. This thread really deals with only the filter that will be in the above cistern, the other tank I will have to make, a "box liner " inside a concrete flagstone shell.

The ONLY place I can put filters is 'in' the return stream, there is NO space anywhere else that I am allowed to use.

Here, in section, is the proposal.

{{gwi:2117020}}
The "floater trap" is basically a piece of rigid plastic around the outlet from the tank, set up as a boom, to keep the likes of azolla in the tank. It works, I have already used the idea else where.

Flowrate through this thing, hmmmmmm not sure about.

The tank will hopefully go where T3 is shown below

{{gwi:2117053}}
but I am not sure if it will impinge on the area occupied by T2, ignore T1, if it does then it will have to take the full stream flow which is 1633 UK gph. Now the stream will untimately be set up with two pumps which will work on an either or basis so that normally only one is ever running. The pump supplying 1633 UK gph, an aquamax 10000lph will run when I want a 'visual stream' running. When I dont want the visual stream effect an aquamax 5500lph, or smaller, will be used to keep media etc ticking over. There is no possible alternative to this method of operation as the pump/stream plumbing is under several tons of concrete which aint going anywhere. The smaller ticking over pump is to save running costs, I 'hear' about those.

Oh, as birds bathe in the stream there will be some form of bird safe grating over the 'plug hole'.

Re cleaning, it is likely that I will have to lift the media out to clean the bottom of the tank as the adjacent wall is 9" of soild concrete block which will be 'awkward' to drill for more than 1" pipe. Plus there will be no room for a valve and a valve CANNOT go outside the wall as it would be too exposed to my delicate feet and shins so the alternative is a recessed screw on pipe end. Whilst these are available, I think, I am not sure it will be practical. The 'seal' of the type I has tried in 2" washes out of place if there is a flow and I dont want to loose the full tank of water. I will however be thinking about this

If I do decide to fit purge drains how do I drill pipe holes through 9" thick solid concrete block wall?

I think I have seen 1", maybe 1.25", masonary bits in the likes of B&Q and I think either my 850W Bosch or my Dad's old big Black and Decker could handle these...

Comments (10)

Sponsored