SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cindydavid4

A New Year; Some New Books!

cindydavid4
16 years ago

I started reading Pretty Birds by Scott Simon of NPR fame. He did a lot of reporting during the Bosnian wars. It will be a downer to begin the year by I suspect, but I've been wanting to read it.

So what are you all reading this month?

Comments (150)

• veer
    16 years ago

Dorieann and Kath, the follow-up to Mistress of the Art of Death is due out at the end of Jan. called The Serpent's Tale.
    I shall put an order in with the library.
    Am now reading Diana Norman's (aka Ariana Franklin) The Sparks Fly Upwards. I got it from the library after months of waiting as the copy had been published in the US. Maybe a clever PR move as her main character 'Makepeace' is a feisty Boston girl who's adventures have taken her from the War of Independence to this latest one about the French Revolution.
    The titles of the first two books are A Catch of Consequence and Taking Liberties.
    DN (or AF) really knows her history.

On the site below click onto 'next book' link on right

Here is a link that might be useful: Diana Norman

• Kath
    16 years ago

Thanks Vee, will check that out at work tomorrow.

• Related Discussions

Some new,some old and some new growth.

Q

Comments (13)
    Thanks Randy North of Florida palms has the best deals on Princeps I have seen,that's where I got the 3 I have -one is planted. Seeing them up close might leave you a little more torn between the two. That said,I love Waggies too! Here's the One I have planted- chadec I know exactly what you mean about Aloifolia! Mine snapped(in high winds)2 years ago or it would be 6' right now at least! They root easily so,no worries there-mine is secured to a small post now...probably would have been halved anyway when the "G-house collapsed in the blizzard last winter. Here's a picture(s) of the Cactus cover - Note how tall it is in respect to the railing- and check put what it looked like collapsed under 15"+ of snow! Here is a link that might be useful: Princeps
    ...See More

Happy New Year! How was your New Year's Eve?

Q

Comments (25)
    Ours was utterly quiet, although not unpleasant :). Both kids were off doing their own NYE celebration so the house was nice and calm. We ate dinner, chatted, then he went to sleep early and I read for awhile. Boring? Maybe but also a moment to cherish being secure in our lives and with so much for which to be grateful. Actually, our New Year's reminds me of the lyrics to one of my favorite Carly Simon songs, Misfit: There are plenty of late nights If you want to stay up for them You'll just want to find yourself a friend And tie a couple on in a night spot Draw pictures of your soul, win the jackpot Pour tears in your beer It's hip to be miserable when you're young and intellectual In a bit you'll admit you're a misfit Come on home with me We'll turn on the TV About 10 o'clock we'll turn off the light Not every man was born to stay up late at night There are plenty of boats to catch If you notice all the sails in the wind But you better look hard my friend In case you catch a ride on the wrong one In the distance is the one you belong on Oh the water is wide It's hip to be miserable when you're young and intellectual In a bit you'll admit you're a misfit Come on home with me We'll sit under a tree And if you get the itch I'll supply the scratch Not every man was born with a boat to catch It's hip to be miserable when you are young and intellectual In a bit you'll admit you're a misfit A misfit
    ...See More

Share your New Year's Eve Dinner and New Year's Day Meals.......

Q

Comments (32)
    Angelaid, I love potato pancakes but I would say that is is my favourite version. There is no secret to making these pancakes. I've made them with mashed potatoes that I made specifically for making these pancakes and I've also made extra mashed potatoes for dinner and saved the leftovers for these pancakes. When I make them with the leftover mashed potatoes there is also butter in the mix. This is not a stiff or thick batter. I use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to scoop up the batter. Mere Blanc's Potato Pancakes From:www.thedailyspud.com with very minor changes. 2 small baking potatoes 1/4 cup milk 1/3 cup All-Purpose flour 2 eggs, separated 1-1/2 tablespoons heavy cream Pinch of salt Pepper Fresh chives (or green onions) Butter for frying Cook potatoes until tender Mash with a little milk. Let potatoes cool before adding the remaining milk, cream, flour, egg yolks, salt, pepper and chives. Beat Egg Whites until stiff. Fold into potato mixture. Do not over mix. This is a light but thick batter. Heat a griddle or skillet. ( I used a rectangle electric frying pan) . Brush with butter. Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup drop batter on to griddle. Cook until pancakes are brown and then flip. Serve with sour cream. Here is a link that might be useful: Potato Pancakes
    ...See More

It's a new year, how about some new pics?

Q

Comments (47)
    Ok, I'll jump in. This was taken in early November on my Dads 95th birthday. Dad and Mom celebrated their 62nd anniversary in September. Standing from l to r is my wife, Sue,(she posts here as Bigbaby occasionally), me, my brother, Joel, and his wife, Nancy. Ron
    ...See More
  • dorieann
    16 years ago

Thanks, Astrokath and Veer. I didnÂt know about the pseudonym. I'll check the link. More books for my TBR list. :-D

• woodnymph2_gw
    16 years ago

Just finished "The Sister" by Paola Kaufmann. Anyone with an interest in poet Emily Dickinson would enjoy this well-researched, sensitive novel, IMO. It is told from the point of view of younger sister, Lavinia (Vinnie) and goes into interesting detail of how the writings were found, eventually published, with great struggles, and so much more. I highly recommend this.

• lemonhead101
    16 years ago

Just finished "Old Bank House" by Angela Thirkell. I remember reading here at RP that "not much happens" in her books and found this to be true -- halfway through the book, I had put it down and found myself having trouble remembering any of the plot due to its characteristic "nothing much happens". But decided to stick with it and having a free evening last night, just delved into it. That is how to read a Thirkell, I have decided. Do marathon reads instead of picking it up and putting it down.

Not too sure I will pick up another Thirkell, but did enjoy this one once I had the time to devote to it. Thanks to those who recommended her.

Now on to "Merle's Door" by Ted Kerasote about a "free-thinking" dog who gets adopted by (and adopts) a man who lives in the mountains. It's non-fiction and came highly recommended by a doggy friend of mine.

• pam53
    16 years ago

lemonhead-I read Merle's Door-I'm a dog person myself. I found the book quite different but interesting. I enjoyed it.

• rosefolly
    16 years ago

I've read two books in the past few days in between my winter garden work. The first was Michael Pollan's latest, a slender volume called In Defense of Food, meaning real food, not manufactured food. Interesting, but this is the third book I've read on this topic in the past month and I think it is time to give it a rest.

I also read a collection of short stories by Kage Baker called Gods and Pawns. This is part of her Company opus. I have still have the conclusion to read, The Sons of Heaven. I find myself reluctant to pick it up. I have been reading this series with pleasure for some years now, and I just hate to see it end. To anyone who enjoys clever, witty science fiction, I heartily recommend this series. The first one is The Garden of Iden.

Rosefolly

• J C
    16 years ago

I knew I shouldn't look at this thread - my TBR pile increases exponentially. I already have 20 books checked out from the library, every last one of them begging to be read. I love Kage Baker and I haven't read her Company series, so I will just have to request it. And I'm back in school next week, and my time will be limited.

I loved Merle's Door, in fact I am considering buying it, a serious decision for me given my complete lack of space. I've checked it out from the library three times (it is non-renewable as it is part of a display). I will admit to skipping over some bits (there is a lot of information about dog behavior and scientific studies), but I re-read certain parts over and over. This is a much more cerebral book than, say, Marley and Me. As a result of this book, I've started calling my cat "Sir," which he responds to quite readily, to my surprise.

• cindydavid4
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ice Chorus was very good, despite the cliche of outsider collecting tales from villagers, and despite a predictable story. The writing was excellent.

Now reading Lewis and Clark through Indian Eyes, a collection of nine essays by native americans about the expedition to the west. Very interesting - much here that I did not know about, and interesting perspectives 200 years later.

• woodnymph2_gw
    16 years ago

cindy, how would you say Lewis & Clark Thru Indian Eyes compares to "Undaunted Courage" by Ambrose, if you have read it?

• cindydavid4
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Its a completely different format. Undaunted Courage is a bio of Lewis, his friendship with Jefferson, as well as the expedition itself based on the diaries. Then the journey Ambrose took along their trail added to observtions and brought us up to date. These are all individual stand-alone essays, about some of the history, and the implications of the exhibition, by current members of the tribes that they came across. I'm finding it interesting, tho I've only read one (they are quick reads, it was just late when I started it last night)

Here is a link that might be useful: Lewis and Clark Through Indian Eyes: Nine Indian Writers on the Legacy of the Expedition

• vickitg
    16 years ago

Colormeconfused  IÂve finished reading "The Girls" by Lori Lansens and I really liked it. I enjoyed her writing style and the descriptions of the relationships really rang true. It led me to do some research on conjoined twins  what an amazing experience that must be. Anyway, I would highly recommend it.

I wish I had read this book with a pencil or a highlighter in-hand to mark the parts I found particularly touching/evocative/inspiring and whatever. HereÂs the one sample that I did mark:

Ruby believes in God and ghosts and reincarnation. (Ruby wonÂt speculate on her next incarnation though, as if imagining something different from what she is now would betray us both.) I believe the best the dead can hope for is to be conjured from time to time, through a note of haunting music or a passage in a book.

I'm now halfway through Dan Brown's "Deception Point." I hate his writing, but I enjoy his storytelling ... even if the plots and action are absurdly unbelievable.

• colormeconfused
    16 years ago

Sarah, thanks for letting me know about The Girls. It sounds like something I'll really like, so I'll be moving it to the top of my TBR stack.

A few days ago, I read Fire in the Blood by Irene Nemirovsky, which was a true gem.

Last night I finished The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. Although this book comes in around 660 pages, I can honestly say that I was disappointed to see it end. Sadly, the second volume won't be released until 2009. This book isn't for everyone, but readers who enjoy fantasy and fast-paced storytelling will probably like it. I very highly recommend it, and I expect that this time next year, I'll be listing it at or near the top of my favorites books read this year. I'll be reading this book again.

I've moved on now to No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy, which has been collecting dust deep in one of my TBR stacks. I've intended to read it for several months, and I definitely want to read it before I see the movie.

• sheriz6
    16 years ago

I'm nearly through Geraldine Brooks' People of the Book and it is fabulous. It reminds me a bit of Girl in Hyacinth Blue in that it traces the history of a rare object (in this case a book, not a painting) through hundreds of years from the present day back to its place of origin. It's really first-rate, I could hardly put it down last night -- but now with just a few chapters to go, I hate to see it end.

And reeling from the sublime to the ridiculous, Plum Lucky is waiting for me at the library so that will be next.

• rosefolly
    16 years ago

Sheri, I'd like to hear what you think of Brooks's book once you finish it. I loved her book about the plague until the final couple of chapters, which ruined it for me. Since then I've been wary of her. If you like it all the way through, I think I'd like to read it, too

Rosefolly

• dorieann
    16 years ago

I have to admit IÂm feeling a bit pleased with myself after stopping in Half-Price Books today and finding a brand new copy of The SerpentÂs Tale by Ariana Franklin on the shelf. Two weeks before its intended release, and for half price, no less! This proves God sometimes smiles on fools. I also stopped at the library and picked up a reserved book, The Boy Who Went Away by Eli Gottlieb. ItÂs a coming of age story set in the 60Âs involving an adolescent boy who has an autistic older brother.

Sheri, I hope you enjoy Plum Lucky. I thought it was hilarious, and the best of her in-between books.

• cindydavid4
    Original Author
    16 years ago

>A few days ago, I read Fire in the Blood by Irene Nemirovsky, which was a true gem.

My bookstore order for the new one - David Golder - just came in. I'll let you know how that one is. I think its the one she was most famous for at the time.

>I loved her book about the plague until the final couple of chapters, which ruined it for me

Ditto, and I hated March. But this one is good (tho there are problems with the last chapter, they aren't bad enough to pull me out of the book like it did in Wonders)

• colormeconfused
    16 years ago

Yes, Cindy. Please let me know what you think about David Golder. I notice on Amazon that Everyman's Library released a hardback volume yesterday that includes David Golder, The Ball, Snow in Autumn, and The Courilof Affair, all translated by Sandra Smith, who has done such an outstanding job with Suite Francaise and Fire in the Blood. I doubt I'll be able to resist ordering it.

• sheriz6
    16 years ago

I finished People of the Book and I thought it was excellent.

Rosefolly, I've not read Year of Wonders so I can't compare the two books. Without giving anything away, I thought the last chapter dipped a tiny bit into thriller territory, while the rest of the book is more even-tempered and literary. As a whole, I thought it was tremendously well done and I'd highly recommend it.

Dorieann, I'm so glad to hear you liked Plum Lucky, maybe third time's the charm for the between-the-numbers books? I'm off to pick it up this afternoon.

• rosefolly
    16 years ago

Thanks, Cindy David and Sheri. I think I'll give the latest Brooks a try.

In the meanwhile I decided that since I only have one more Kage Baker book in the Company series, I'm going to savor the experience. Before reading the final volume, I'm going back to re-read the series and have it fresh in my mind. Yesterday I finished the first book In the Garden of Iden and I am now working on Sky Coyote. This way all the threads that she is tying together will be fresh in my mind.

Rosefolly

• cindydavid4
    Original Author
    16 years ago

>I thought the last chapter dipped a tiny bit into thriller territory,

Yeah, as I was reading that, Dan Brown flashed into my head. Fortunately its much better written, but still - I am not sure that belonged there.

• sheriz6
    16 years ago

Cindy, yes, I agree.

POSSIBLE MINOR SPOILERS AHEAD
    - -
    - -
    -

I think she wanted something dramatic to finish up with so it would echo the drama of the other stories, not to mention tying up loose ends. I'm trying to imagine how else she could have done this. I'm just VERY glad she didn't give in to the temptation to make the main character a direct descendant of one of the book's former owners, something I was bracing myself for when Hanna's father was brought into the story.

On a side note, I didn't realize the story was based on a real book, the Sarajevo Haggadah, and that it actually was hidden by a Muslim librarian during WWII and rescued again by another one during the Bosnian war. I've read just a little bit about it, and it's fascinating.

• cindydavid4
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh yes - I guess I just knew that based on her New Yorker excerpt. Thats what makes it all the more amazing.

SPOILER ALERT

What she should have done in the end is cut the theatrics and melodrama and end it with Lola meeting David, the son of the people who saved her. Thats what she wrote in the article and was expecting to see that scene here. I was very surprised that he was only mentioned but they never met. Would have made a very meaningful ending to a wonderful story.

END ALERT. WE NOW RETURN YOU TO YOUR REGULAR POSTING, ALREADY IN PROGRESS

Finishing up Helen Thomas's memoir of her journalistic career on the White House Press Corps. Fascinating stuff - esp her section on the First Ladies, and her section on Martha Mitchell. I remember as a teenager hearing that she was crazy, and laughing at all of the jokes about her. But she wasn't crazy. She was the only one who was telling the truth about Watergate. The chapter put her in a completely different light for me, and made me realize just how dark and sinister some of those folks in his administration were.

• woodnymph2_gw
    16 years ago

I'm just finishing up a fascinating Non-fiction work: Scott Zesch's "Captured." This is a well-researched book about the White German settlers' children captured by Plains Indians in the hill country of Texas in the late 1800's. The author had to have done meticulous research to trace the fates of these boys and girls. With no exceptions, despite their early trauma of having been captured, they far preferred to remain with the Indian tribes who had adopted them, when given the chance to return to "White civilization." Thus, they each lived marginal lives, never quite fitting in anywhere in any society. This would be an excellent companion book to Dee Brown's "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee." There is so much about Texas history that I was unaware of.

• donnamira
    16 years ago

Sarah Canary, regarding Deception Point, absurd is a good description! It gets worse as the pages turn. I tried it a few years ago when I found out that it was set around the program I work on, and I ended up laughing my way through the book, which I'm sure was not Brown's intention. :) Every once in a while, I remember his description of the building where I work as I walk in, and chuckle again.

Rosefolly, I read The Sons of Heaven last fall, and it's a satisfying end to the story, although I was handicapped by NOT having re-read the prior books, especially since I'd missed Mendoza in Hollywood. There's a huge cast of characters and keeping them straight was hard to do without the refresh beforehand that you're doing.

I picked up Margaret Frazer's latest in the Dame Frevisse series, The Apostate's Tale, and it was so nicely crafted that I am now re-reading the entire series to put together the events and character development that result in the events of this book.

• rosefolly
    16 years ago

Donnamira, thanks for the encouragement. I am re-reading my Company novels. So far I have finished the first two and am about to embark on Mendoza in Hollywood. I love how she is always referred to as "the botanist Mendoza".

Last night I took a break and read the book for my book club, Water for Elephants. I know a lot of members here have read it, but since I had not myself at the time, I don't remember whether people liked it or not. I enjoyed but did not love it. I did however really like the ending. I'm so very tired of books that end up with old people in misery and despair and for a while it looked to me as though this was going to be yet another in that vein. I know this is the sad fate many people must endure, but surely some people have something good at the ends of their lives?

Rosefolly

• Kath
    16 years ago

Rose, I very much enjoyed Water for Elephants, and like you, thought the ending was very good.
    I am reading the latest Morland Dynasty in paperback, The Burning Roses, and will follow it up with the latest, still in HB, borrowed from work.

• donnamira
    16 years ago

Rosefolly - I forgot to ask, in the Company novels, do you know the allusion with Bugleg's name? His colleagues are Rappacini and Freestone, which are allusions to the Hawthorne story and Frankenstein, but what's Bugleg from? I don't recognize it, and it's been driving me nuts.

• rosefolly
    16 years ago

Donnamira, I don't know. In fact I missed the two allusions you caught. I thought it was a Dickensonian reference, that the character had an insect-like personality.

I'm finding the second well worthwhile, as well as enjoyable. I am really picking up a lot I missed on my first time through, and I know I'm not getting everything. I think of myself as being reasonably well-read, but Kage Baker is just steeped in history, literature, and cultural information. It's fun seeing how much I do get, enough to make me feel clever and in-the-know, but a lot does pass over my head.

Rosefolly

Here is a link that might be useful: Kage Baker interview

• vickitg
    16 years ago

I think I'm giving up on Deception Point. It's just too absurd and the characters haven't grabbed me ... after 500 pages!?! Donnamira, does that mean you work for NASA, or in one of the other buildings mentioned?

One of our local Border's just went out of business and I bought a whole stack of books at 40 percent off. So I'm really anxious to move on to some other, potentially better, books. I have to read Eat, Pray, Love for book group. I'm not thrilled about the choice, but it should be a fast read.

• woodnymph2_gw
    16 years ago

I've just started G. Brooks' "People of the Book" and am already enthralled. Brooks is turning out to be one of my favorite living authors. Unlike many of you here, I did like "March." Since reading both "The Historian" and "Shadow of the Wind", I had been looking for some truly unique reading to fill that niche. Maybe this one is it.....

• cindydavid4
    Original Author
    16 years ago

>I have to read Eat, Pray, Love for book group

Let me know at what page you throw the book through the wall...

Woodnymph, whats funny is I didn't like Historian, and thought Shadow of the Wind lost me mid way through. But I loved this book.

• veronicae
    16 years ago

Is Eat, Pray. Love a generational thing? The younger readers in the family, my "girls" in their late 20's and early 30's, serious readers, are enjoying it and passing it around. Yet older people have wanted to do the through it through the wall thing.

• twobigdogs
    16 years ago

Greetings from my house, where it is currently 8 degrees. Fahrenheit. What's a person to do except curl up with a couple of dogs and a good book?

I am reading "And No One as Witness", the semi-new Elizabeth George/Lynley novel. No complaints so far.

And I have "Teacher Man" next up. It's my book club's choice, and I know several of you read this book but I cannot remember what you thought of it. So if you remember, I'd love to know your opinions.

I am reading the opinions of Dan Brown's Deception Point with much interest. I tried to read it a few years ago and just about ten pages into it, I decided I really didn't care what happened and that there were far more interesting books to read. And I never looked back.

PAM

• sheriz6
    16 years ago

I just flew through Plum Lucky and can honestly say it wasn't as bad as the between-the-numbers books usually are, but still was nowhere near as good as the usual numbered books. I think she needs Ranger and Morelli playing big parts in the books to make them work. As charming as Diesel is, he just isn't in the same category. Gotta admit, I howled with laughter over the rocket launcher and the naked car wash incident!

Woodnymph, I also loved The Historian and Shadow of the Wind, and I'm still contemplating People of the Book with great pleasure. Cindy, I will have to look for that article, the alternate ending you describe would have fit the tone of the book much better, I agree, a neat tying together of their lives. Perhaps her editors pushed for something more dramatic? I'll be moving March up in the TBR pile, in any event.

Regarding Eat, Pray, Love I only skimmed about ten or twenty pages of it in the bookstore and I was ready to throw it at the wall. What an incredibly self-important and self-centered ninny! IMO, of course.

• donnamira
    16 years ago

Rosefolly, you are so right on Baker's novels ... 'steeped in history, literature.. 'is a good description. I'm positive Bugleg is a 'playing God' reference; besides Rappacini and Frankenstein, there is also a 'Rossum,' which is from Kapek's Rossum's Universal Robots, which I had to look up as well. I scoured Faust and Bladerunner/Philip Dick web sites, but couldn't find anything that rang a bell.

Sarah Canary, I have worked in the Earth Science division at NASA Headquarters for several years, and worked on the EOS Program that is the background for Deception Point. I started laughing at the idea of a NASA F15 not only carting around a reporter, but landing in a remote arctic location, and never stopped. There is no such thing as a density measuring satellite, but the GRACE twin satellites do measure the Earth's gravity field, which leads to an improved model for the Earth's geoid. I put in a link below to the PI's website at the University of Texas.

I'm starting The Book Thief for an online book club discussion. The discussion starts today ..nothing like procrastination!

Here is a link that might be useful: NASA GRACE mission

• cindydavid4
    Original Author
    16 years ago

>Is Eat, Pray. Love a generational thing?

Not sure. If it is, perhaps its because those of us older and wiser to recognize a selfish self centered air head, and do not desire to read more. For the younger group, maybe the idea of traveling is just so exciting that it doesn't matter who the author is, its just somehow exotic. I do remember reading some things in my 20s that I am embarrassed to admit reading (un, like Sex and the Single Girl....) which would probably be wall ammo if I tried to read it now.

I am having trouble with David Golder - not trouble so much, as I am uncomfortable reading it. The introduction to the stories talks about the demeaning and stereotypic way she denotes Jewish characters. The jury is still out on whether she did this to show that she is no longer Jewish and that she really is a French citizen, or if it was the only way to get her stories published, or worse - if she had so much hatred for her own heritage that she herself became an anti-semite. Yes, I know that antisemitism was getting stronger in Europe in the 20s, and France, where she lived, was known for it, and it doesn't surprise me that such would be included. But her first book made me feel so much sympathy for her, that its hard for me to accept that she is human (Ironically a theme she often uses - human nature). It makes me uncomfortable in the same way watching Birth of a Nation or Power and the Glory did. When is art something more than just art? Can we enjoy a book, movie, music despite who created it? There is an art exhibit at our museum of French artists. One of the paintings is of the Death of Morat. The painter was a figure in the Terror, and he painted it in order to make a martyr of the man who ordered thousands to the guillotine. But that was so long ago - cant we just enjoy the painting for its artistic qualities? I don't know the answer and yes I'll be reading these stories. But it is a puzzle. And it probably could make an interesting thread.

• lemonhead101
    16 years ago

Been having a read-a-thon over the weekend - finished up "Merle's Door: Lessons from a free-thinking dog" by Ted Kerasote. Good but he rather got carried away with the whole thing in places.

Then read "The Photograph" by Penelope Lively. She is such a good author and I enjoy most of her work. This was about a man who is going through his dead wife's things to find a paper he needs and he comes across a photo of his wife holding hands surrepticiously with another man who he knows. This leads to him going back to various people to find more about the wife -- not giving the game away - just letting you know what the book is about.. Anyway, it's good.

Then whipped through "Out to Pasture" by Effie Lelander Wilder - fun stories about life in a retirement home. And now on to "Swallows of Kabul" by Yasmina Khadra about life post-Taliban in Afghanistan. Good but very different from Hossein's work - much more lyrical, less plot-driven and more ethereal, I think is the word.

Good though. Just going to finish up "Swallows..." and then I really must clean the house. Sigh.

• friedag
    16 years ago

I finished People of the Book today. I really don't know why I do this -- get my expectations up after reading other readers' glowing comments -- because this one was a letdown. The subject ought to be fascinating and it is...I guess I just don't like Brooks's style and treatment. I am beginning to think Brooks is one of the most overrated writers, which is too bad because what she writes about -- plague and the March family and now this one -- are things that should suit me to a T. Oh well.

I enjoyed The Historian, though I think it did fizzle toward the end. I didn't have any great expectations going into that one, as I remember, so maybe that's why I liked so well. But what's a body to do? Not read recommendations, reviews, or listen to word of mouth? Nah, I can't help it. It's fun to know other people's opinions even when I don't agree with 'em. :-)

• Kath
    16 years ago

I wonder if there is a book which would be universally acclaimed here at RP? I suspect not, although it might be interesting to try to find out....................

• bookmom41
    16 years ago

Astrokath, you could start a new thread for that question. I have a book or two in mind.

Since Comanche Moon was on TV here, I figured I'd load up on McMurtry's series and read Dead Man's Walk and Comanche Moon. Not nearly as good as LD but they'll do. I'm starting Indian Summer by Alex Von Tunzelmann about the British empire and India which is quite good so far.

Regarding Eat, Pray, Love, I think Elizabeth Gilbert's style is just sort of annoying. My book club read her Last American Male, non-fiction about Eustace Conroy, a radical back-to-nature sort living on his own compound and while the book and subject were fascinating, she writes in a self-congratulatory, and somewhat condescending, style.

• cindydavid4
    Original Author
    16 years ago

frieda, I think if you take out Hannah's story completely, as well as the last convuluted chapter, it works, very well. But I do well understand what you are saying. I was shocked at how well March was received, and doubly shocked that she received the Pulitzer. This one - perhaps because its a topic close to my heart - worked for me. But it could have been much better

Ok, re the rant upthread - the stereotypes suggested in the introduction are mild compared to what I expected, so I over ranted on this one (tho I still think the idea is a good discussion point). Finished the book/story (its short) last night. A definite downer, but its one of those that you can't put down. And it has one of those unlikable characters that you end up sympathizing with by the end. Into the second story now The Ball, where a young girl gets revenge on her social climbing witch of a mother by 'losing' the invitations she is sending for a ball.

• woodnymph2_gw
    16 years ago

Frieda and I are on opposite sides often re historical novels ;-). Just finished "People of the Book" which I had trouble putting down, reading into the wee hours of the morning. I enjoy this sort of genre, if well-written and well-researched because I learn so much about other cultures and various historical events. This sort of novel will lead me on to other readings, hopefully, about the history of Bosnia, the former Yugoslavia, the Ottoman Empire, and the "Convivencia" time period of Spain's history. I was mainly fascinated by the fact that there was a sort of Golden Age, when Muslims, Jews, and Christians all lived together in relative harmony, sharing knowledge and learning from each other. That aspect, IMO, seems so timely, in the light of today's world problems.

I would hope to have other similar novels suggested by some of you here. Sheri, thanks so much for your description of this one, which I might not have looked for, otherwise.

Astrokath, I think that's a very good question....

• friedag
    16 years ago

Cindy, yes, the Hanna part was superfluous, in my opinion, and the ending...uh, well. Such potential with all the things Woodnymph has pointed out, but things got too Da Vinci Code-ish for my taste.

But, Mary, we agree on a lot of historical novels as well, such as The Historian, Le Grand Meaulnes, Birds Without Wings and others, I'm sure.

It is an interesting question that Kath asks. I hope she starts a thread.

• woodnymph2_gw
    16 years ago

frieda, hello. How would you have ended "People of the Book"? Just curious.... Perhaps Brooks' editor urged her to twist out the ending the way she did; possibly she had other ideas.

I thought the title was a clever choice, a double entendre, BTW.

• cindydavid4
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm not frieda, but IMHO I would have ended it when they finished the exhibit and went home. No scandal, no DaVinci code/Mission Impossilbe ending. The only thing I might have included - and was surprised that she didn't - was the visit Lola's real life person made with David, the son of the family who took her in. That takes place in the NYer excerpt and was very surprised she left it out. I can well imagine an editor insisting on some thrilling ending, which is too bad because in a book like this its the last thing you need.

>This sort of novel will lead me on to other readings, hopefully, about the history of Bosnia, the former Yugoslavia, the Ottoman Empire, and the "Convivencia" time period of Spain's history

Ones I've read: The Fracture Zone by Simon Winchester (non fiction), Birds without Wings (fiction). I also have read lots of history of the areas because I read travel narratives. I would recommend the classic Black Lamb Gray Falcon by Rebecca West - however its dated, and you'll get lots of gripes from all sides of the story of her different take on situations. But its worth reading just for the travel sections. I don't know any from the Convivencia period, tho I've read bits and pieces about it in other books. I'd love to know some of those as well - pass them on when you find them.

• woodnymph2_gw
    16 years ago

cindy, thanks so much for your response! I can see your point about the ending, leaving out the "heroics" so to speak. Please provide the link to the New Yorker article. I would like to read it.

Have read and liked "Birds Without Wings" but have never been able to find the Rebecca West book.

• friedag
    16 years ago

Mary, I wrote an earlier response to you but there was a power failure simultaneous to my hitting submit. It was too lengthy, so you were spared. :-) Now, upon reading Cindy's recommendation, I will just agree with her.

If the editor(s) are responsible for the ending, somebody needs a neck wringing (my opinion, of course). Sometimes I wonder if it's editors who do most of the fouling-up of otherwise very good ideas. (Good editors, on the other hand, have rescued many good stories out of messes.)

Yes, Cindy, please provide a link to the article or tell us how to find it.

• cindydavid4
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ladies, all the New Yorker link has is an abstract. But I suspect any decent library would have a copy - its the December 3 issue.

frieda, one of my frustrations is poorly written endings, in both books and movies. Just when I think its perfect, they just keep going for some unknown reason. Yeah, I wouldn't bet the editor thought she needed to include that. And it seems, based on comments from other folk, that they also found it odd. But then again, many of the same folk thought the ending of Year of Wonders was odd too, so maybe its not the editor, but her...

Here is a link that might be useful: Geraldine Brooks

• woodnymph2_gw
    16 years ago

Thanks, cindy.

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions