SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
siobhan_1

Did you ever enjoy a book you didn't think you would like?

J C
18 years ago

Have you ever picked up a book to read that you really weren't excited about - maybe for a book club, because it was a gift, maybe even for this forum - and were surprised to find yourself really enjoying it? We've had many discussions about how life is too short to waste it on reading books we don't like, but obviously we don't know if we will really like something until we actually read it.

A few weeks I picked up Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe at a book sale for 25 cents. I'm not really sure why I bought it. I glanced at it, and wasn't too thrilled to find that it was a 'southern' novel full of weird characters with cutesy names. It went on my TBR pile, and one night last week I picked it up at bedtime. I was still reading it at 2 AM. Over the next few days I was very busy but picked it up every chance I got, and was sad to have it end. I loved the gentle but rapid unfolding of the narrative and the quirky characters as well as a picture of the segregated south that I hadn't been aware of. I had to remind myself that the people weren't real; it was just a story, which is in my mind one of the ultimate qualities of a good novel.

Have you ever read a book like that? A book that you didn't have much hope for, but ended up loving?

Comments (27)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County