SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chrisa_gw

seeking creative garden carpentry help

chrisa
17 years ago

Hey all,

My boyfriend and I just moved into a new garden (rental) apartment and have to start all over again planning and rehabilitating a small Brooklyn backyard.

The gardening part I can handle on my own (though planning advice is always welcome :) ), but the building of structures or cost of buying fancy kits (and dealing with shipping) is rather beyond my scope of comfort and time and -most importantly- budget. My boyfriend and I are excellent skilled labor, but I don't think either of us can handle the construction process efficiently without good architectural and construction guidance and planning.

At my last place I spent 8 years overhauling a barren junk heap into a beautiful fertile organic haven, but I don't know how long I'll be here and ultimately the work benefits my landlord, not me (can't take it with you when you move!), so I just can't spend buckets of money building or buying sheds and pergola kits, etc. Plus we both work more-than-full-time so we definately need to make effecient use of what little time we have to work outside!

What I'm thinking of is:

- a corner pergola hefty enough support a (currently untamed) wisteria vine

- a corner (5-sided or triangular) shed that will rest under the pergola

If any one is or knows a skilled garden structure carpenter, or at least someone who can draw up some plans for what we want, advise, make a shopping list, has whatever necessary tools (beyond standard household tools everyone has) and can oversee construction please pass on the word and/or get in touch.

What we could potentially offer in exchange includes:

- some money (above and beyond supply costs. will depend on quality, skills, etc - to be negotiated)

- professional macintosh and a/v tech support

- gardening advice and sharing of plant divisions, seeds, seedlings, etc

- professional salsa dance instruction

- barter of various household items/furniture/equipment we might otherwise sell

Anyone know anyone who can help?

Happy spring,

chris

Comment (1)