SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gratlog

Garden Clubs fighting

gratlog
18 years ago

lol I'm on a few forums including this one and a few Horse Racing ones. On the horse racing ones the debates get quite heated which is good, as healthy debate is good imo.

I always say if I want peace and quiet I come to this forum as everyone here are so polite as most gardeners are.

Therefore we got a good chuckle when we read this story on the front page of the Courier-Mail this morning.

Gardening clubs slug it out over festival

Glenis Green

25jan06

TWO rival gardening clubs have dug in over rights to hold this year's regular Easter garden festival in the South Burnett.

Tensions are running so high that solicitors have been involved and even the Wondai Shire mayor, David Carter, has taken sides.

At the root of the problem is a breakaway club formed by the former president of the Wondai and District Garden Club, John Dorris, whose wife Jan was also that club's treasurer-secretary.

According to Mr Dorris, who had been president for nine years and who claims to have started the Wondai Garden Festival, the trouble has stemmed from his clash with the Wondai Lions Club over its call for a greater cut of the non-profit show's community proceeds.

"Twenty-six members out of 37 decided to join me and form a new garden club," he said. "We were the ones who started the garden festival, organised it and made it popular . . .

"So we decided we'd have a new (festival) and hold it at Murgon and call it the Barambah Garden Festival.

"Then all hell broke loose because of that. Now I am the villain of the piece and it's got very out of hand."

The row has been exacerbated by the fact that the new Barambah Festival at the Murgon showgrounds has been set down for this year's Easter weekend on April 15, 16 and 17 � clashing with the traditional Wondai festival at the Wondai showgrounds on April 15 and 16.

Mr Dorris maintains there is room for two garden shows, but concedes the situation has become "a mess".

"It's now down to two solicitors trying to sort it out," he said. "There's a few nasty wee bits in there, but I don't want to get involved. It's not doing Wondai any good."

Mr Dorris said he could not believe that the mayor, Cr Carter, had called for a boycott of the new Barambah festival.

Comments (14)