SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
avesmor_gw

Where do you keep your...

avesmor
13 years ago

...unsightlies, in a sightly way? :)

I'm ready to dos ome major mudroom/pantry/office organization, but would like to know what others do so that I can see all the great ideas I wouldn't think of myself.

So how about things like:

• Keys, and other daily items (access badges, wallets, purses, etc.)

• Mail
  • Pet leashes
  • Extra keys (car, house, mail, whatever - but the extras, not the ones you use frequently)
  • Extra household things such as air freshener refills, light bulbs, candles, etc.
  • Shoes (Stay in the closet? Stay where you enter/exit most often? Garage?)
  • Pet food (esp. large dog food bags)
  • etc...

Comments (24)

• allison0704
    13 years ago

# Keys, and other daily items (access badges, wallets, purses, etc.)

Keys stay in handbag, which goes in the MBR closet when I get home. DH has the first drawer inside the laundry room (near garage entrance).

# Mail

I go through mail when it comes in the house. To be paid/posted go to my office (fancy name for file cabinet in the main guest room closet).

# Pet leashes

The leash we use all day long stays on top of coffee station... which has developed a nice patina over this being done for 5 years. Extras go in the dog drawer in laundry room. I also have one hanging in the garage (left of door) on a coat/hat rack DH made me for this purpose.

# Extra keys (car, house, mail, whatever - but the extras, not the ones you use frequently)

Extra keys go in yet another laundry room drawer. It's off the kitchen/back hallway so convenient.

# Extra household things such as air freshener refills, light bulbs, candles, etc.

No candles (we have a generator) and I don't burn them regularly. My hoard of light bulbs are stored in the great room (large wooden, two door chest)

# Shoes (Stay in the closet? Stay where you enter/exit most often? Garage?)

MBR closet, a pair by front door since I take dogs out X times a day. Another pair inside garage, near door, for when I go out that way. DH keeps a pair of house slippers in the coat closet (back hallway by garage door).

# Pet food (esp. large dog food bags)

The coat closet in back hallway is extra deep, so extra (unopened) dog food bags go there. Unopened cat food bags go under laundry room sink.

# etc...

We have a storage room (directly underneath DR, so same size) where we store unopened supplies of paper towels, TP, etc. Opened supplies are in laundry room cabinet.

• Oakley
    13 years ago

Keys stay in my purse which sits on the bench in the foyer at all times. Husband has a smallish basket on the dresser where he puts his wallet, keys, phone, etc., and has been really good at not getting the are messy again.

Spare keys to the house and vehicles are in a bowl in a drawer in our kitchen. I never let them out for people to see.

Mail immediately goes on the coffee table and after I sort it, I put bills in the drawer in the table and throw away junk mail. I don't leave it laying around, except new mags, greeting cards and such.

Pet leashes are hung on the coat rack above the bench in the foyer.

I'm so blessed. LOL. I did a topic about my lack of storage drawers in the old kitchen before the remodel. I think the topic is titled, "I bet you can't top this." I have a new Hutch, and one drawer holds nothing but candles and candle accessories.

I have a very wide and deep drawer also in the hutch which has my light bulbs, various tapes, lint rollers and refills, old scizzors, room fragrance refills and holders. It's the "junk" drawer which is used at least once a day.

If you can't find something, it's in that drawer!

Shoes: I have a pair of garden shoes by both front and back door. In the foyer, we have a large shoe tray where we put those types of shoes and flip flops for since we're always going in and out of the house to piddle outside. My dh keeps his slippers on the hearth which is near his chair. Awww.

Other shoes stay in our closets.

Large bags of dog food are in the utility room in the space between the wall and freezer which can't be seen, because it's right next to the water and feed bowls. Cat foods are stored in the cabinet above the dryer which holds the food bowls for the cat.

FUN TOPIC!!!

• Related Discussions

where do you keep your pet's dishes?

Q

Comments (26)
    We do not have a proper laundry room either (oh how I wish we did!), but i do have the planning desk in the kitchen like Treasuretheday, where we stash the 'not too unattractive', large food bin. Also the water bowl. We have two large Boxers and I agree with Outsideplaying... it helps to elevate the bowls for large dogs. I purchased a feeding station from Amazon, it looked like wood, but was not. After a few months, with water slopping down inside it started to smell, so out it went! Then I was on the hunt for tall metal or wrought iron stands, but boy are they expensive, and hard to find! I took a friends advice and bought metal plant stands, at Garden Ridge. They are just the right height, and the base for the flower pot is just the right diameter to fit a glass mixing bowl. They don't look bad in the kitchen, and after the dogs eat, I scoot the stands under the desk behind their big water bowl. The plant stands was a great idea, and really inexpensive.
    ...See More

Where do you keep your kitty litter?

Q

Comments (37)
    The things we do for our pets! We have 5 cats and 6 boxes. We have them in a closet in our laundry room, in a closet in our master bath, and a few in the basement. We make them from Rubbermaid type storage totes, which helps contain the litter in the box and prevents accidents (one kitty accidentally pees over the edge of traditional, shorter boxes). For the ones in our living space, I put them on heavy duty area rugs from Home Depot or Lowes - they're sort of like water hog mats that can be hosed off. I also use large, washable incontinence pads on the floor surrounding the master closet box, just in case. The one in our master closet also sits on an appliance tray. My husband gave up his side of the master closet to accommodate that box for the cat who lives in our bedroom all of the time. I lined that side of the closet in plastic to keep the walls/shelving dust free, and hung a shower curtain to the entrance so litter dust doesn't make it over to my side. I scoop all of our boxes ALL THE TIME. I don't love having boxes in closets, but it works for now. I figure only about 7 or 8 more years of this and then we should be down to only 1 or 2 cats at most, and can accordingly reduce our litter boxes. Yippee!!
    ...See More

Where do you keep your paper towels on island with a sink?

Q

Comments (44)
    I used this Paper Towel Holder in my kitchen.It is fixed on the wall quickly and conveniently, in the kit there are dowels (for 6mm.) and screws, as well as plates with double-sided tape. Cuts off the foil and film easily, the main thing is not to confuse the cutters! (they are different!) With paper and foil no problem, but food film pull out is not convenient, maybe it depends on its thickness, Now it is the thinnest. I'll try to find it stronger
    ...See More

Where do you keep your phone when out for a walk?

Q

Comments (44)
    I take long walks with my dogs so like to listen to audiobooks, making it necessary to have my phone with me. I generally wear exercise leggings or exercise skorts that have the side pocket on the leg so I can my phone in that. For casual walks, most of my non-exercise shorts have at least a back pocket that can hold my phone. I did buy an armband at one point but it is too much of a hassle trying to use it so now I just make sure my exercise gear have the side pocket. Years ago, I bought a SpiBelt that I wore when running in races - it was lightweight and held a lot (phone, money, energy chews, keys, etc). I still have it but my current phone is too big for it, but I suppose the newer ones would fit newer, larger phones.
    ...See More
  • deeinohio
    13 years ago

DH put together a hook board with discarded golf club heads and hung it just outside the entry door into the kitchen from the garage. That's where we keep the dog leashes, coats, and my purse, if I don't just leave it in the car.

Light bulbs, batteries, seldom used cleaners, etc. are kept in an overhead cabinet in the laundry room.

The pet food is removed from the bag and kept in the garage in a plastic container with a door (someone here a while back recommended it; they store on top of each other so you can have more than one.)

Most mail goes in the trash before it comes in the house. Otherwise, I have a decorative wicker basket that sits on the counter.

Shoes in the closet or at the door in the garage.

DH is also building a cabinet for the laundry room to hold other homeless incidentals: grocery bags to clean the kitty litter, brooms and other floor cleaners, a hook to hang the tablecloth on, the placemats, a place for the kitty litter container. I'm also going to put the mail basket on a shelf there.

If you have the room, what about getting an armoire off craigslist, and custom fitting it for your needs? Everything, except the dog food, would fit in an armoire.

Dee

• nicole__
    13 years ago

Keys: Go in the media cabinet

Shoes: Shoe rack in the garage or in our clothes closet

Mail: Gets sorted on the kitchen planning desk, then paper gets put in the recycle bin after shredding

Light bulbs + extra things: Kitchen cabinets & pantry

Pet leash: Hung on hook in garage

• User
    13 years ago

# Keys, and other daily items (access badges, wallets, purses, etc.) I keep all these things in my purse and my purse under my desk.
    # Mail I try to go through it right away and then file it or recycle it.
    # Pet leashesIf I had any I'd keep them on an hook inside the garage near the door to the house, but we live in the country so our dogs went out unleashed with us. We now have just four indoor cats.
    # Extra keys (car, house, mail, whatever - but the extras, not the ones you use frequently) In a key minder hidden away.
    # Extra household things such as air freshener refills, light bulbs, candles, etc. All are in the utility closet in the kitchen except candles. Those are best kept in the fridge so they last longer when burned.
    # Shoes (Stay in the closet? Stay where you enter/exit most often? Garage?) We have a drip dry rack in the garage just out the kitchen door for really wet or snowy shoes. We also have a shoe tray just inside the kitchen door for not so yucky shoes. Normally I put my shoes away since I don't like to go bare/stocking footed. At all.
    # Pet food (esp. large dog food bags)We have a large drop down feeder so our cats can eat when they want to. Anything that does fit in there goes into the pantry in a rolling container made to store pet food and keep it fresh.
    # etc... For hats, mitten's, gloves, scarves and such I keep an over the door clear pocket shoe storage thing over the coat closet door for easy access.

• rucnmom
    13 years ago

Keys, and other daily items (access badges, wallets, purses, etc.) - Keys go on command hooks on the inside of a kitchen cabinet door; purse in hall closet, work id in school bag which lives on the bench just as you enter from the garage

Mail - on desk in kitchen; throw away junk mail as it comes in

Pet leashes - Will go on Command hook inside of kids closet in kitchen (closest to back door)- puppy coming next week

Extra keys (car, house, mail, whatever - but the extras, not the ones you use frequently) on command hook where everyday key is located

Extra household things such as air freshener refills, light bulbs, candles, etc. - Light bulbs in cellar workshop area, other stuff on shelves above washer and dryer

Shoes (Stay in the closet? Stay where you enter/exit most often? Garage?) = Go in closet

Pet food (esp. large dog food bags) - Good question! Will make room in kid's closet in kitchen

• Sueb20
    13 years ago

# Keys, and other daily items (access badges, wallets, purses, etc.) -- on a hook by the back door (in mudroom)

# Mail -- I deal with the mail as soon as I bring it in. It doesn't sit anywhere.

# Pet leashes -- on bench in mudroom.

# Extra keys (car, house, mail, whatever - but the extras, not the ones you use frequently)-- in a small drawer in the kitchen.

# Extra household things such as air freshener refills, light bulbs, candles, etc. -- well, various places. Lightbulbs on a shelf in the basement, candles in a drawer in the dining room.

# Shoes (Stay in the closet? Stay where you enter/exit most often? Garage?) -- Frequently-worn shoes go in the mudroom closet. DH keeps his dress shoes in bedroom closet and I keep my non-everyday shoes in the bedroom closet too.

# Pet food (esp. large dog food bags) -- We keep the big bag in the garage/basement, but we fill two tupperware-type large containers and keep them in the mudroom closet. When they are empty, we refill them from the big bags downstairs.

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

Keys /wallet are pretty much in my pocket til I change clothes and then go on the table next to my bed. I want all those (+ phone) things ready to grab in emergency.

Junk mail, if it enters the house at all gets torn up and thrown in the wastebasket right away. Magazines go with the appropriate magazines, bills and statements on the desk.

Extra keys in a drawer with other important stuff.

Shoes in closet except a pair by the door.

Extra household items in a central closet upstairs or a central closet downstairs depending upon where it is going to be used.

There is only one entry to the apartment (+ a bedroom floor semi-emergency exit)--nothing really gets kept by the door because we want the front hall neat.

• tinam61
    13 years ago

Keys - in purse, hubby has a divider type box thingy in a drawer in dresser where he empties his pockets

Purse - in mb closet or a small chair in kitchen (go to garage that way)

Mail - Large hoosier type cabinet in kitchen. One upper cabinet has basket for stuff to be dealt with immediately, other mail - stuff that needs to be filed, receipts, banking/investment, etc., etc. etc. goes to office file cabinet.

Pet leashes - only used when pup is taken somewhere. Same Hoosier cabinet in kitchen has one upper cabinet for pet treats, etc. drawer for pet meds/medical papers, etc. Larger lower cabinet for pet food, travel pet stuff, extra pet bowls, etc. Leashes in drawer in same cabinet.

Extra keys - car, house, etc. in home lockbox, basement, back gates, boat, camper kept in garage (box in cabinet).

Extra household things such as air freshener refills, light bulbs, candles, etc. - air freshener type stuff in hall linen closet, candles to burn, not to see, are also in linen closet. Lightbulbs in laundry room. Extra tp, etc. in large linen closet near MB.

Shoes - stay in closet. One pair sometimes at door to garage. Hubby keeps a pair of yard shoes in garage.

tina

• camlan
    13 years ago

I live in a small, 1920s house with no mudroom or garage. You enter directly into the living room.

Keys, and other daily items (access badges, wallets, purses, etc.)

There's an old school desk (the kind with an inkwell and iron legs) to the left of the front door. Keys go in a small bowl on the desk. My purse, which has my wallet and public transportation pass, goes in a drawer of an old chiffarobe to the right of the door. Hats and gloves go in another drawer and coats go in the hanging part.

Mail

Goes in a basket on the desk until I sort it. There's a nice-looking recycling container under the desk, and a letter holder for the bills.

Pet leashes

No dog. The cat carrier goes in the small pantry between the kitchen and dining room.

Extra keys (car, house, mail, whatever - but the extras, not the ones you use frequently)

In one of the drawers of the chiffarobe.

Extra household things such as air freshener refills, light bulbs, candles, etc.

My house has a small pantry between the kitchen and dining room. It was designed to store kitchen gadgets and dishes and such, not food. One of the cabinets holds "extras," light bulbs, extension cords and the like. Extra candles are in a drawer of the chiffarobe in the living room.

Shoes (Stay in the closet? Stay where you enter/exit most often? Garage?)

In the bedroom closet.

Pet food (esp. large dog food bags)

In a small, white, enameled trash can that sits just behind the cat food bowls.

A few months ago, I had to evacuate my house because of a small fire in the house next door. I was able to scoop up the cat, stuff her into her carrier, run to the front door, grab my purse, cell phone, coat and keys and get out of the building in under two minutes. My neighbor on the other side was outside in winter weather with slippers, no shoes, her 9 month old baby, and her dog--no purse, no keys, no cell phone. I ended up giving her my coat to wrap the baby in and my cell phone so she could call her husband. Not that you want to plan every detail of your life for an emergency, but it is helpful to keep those things you might need to take with you in an emergency where you can easily grab them quickly and without having to think about where they are.

• jlt37869
    13 years ago

- no pets
    - keys: in purse or (extras) in a little basket in the kitchen junk drawer
    - purse and computer bag: in my office (extra purses stored empty in plastic bins in my master closet on upper shelf
    - most supplies/extras: wallflower refills & light bulbs in baskets in the cleaning closet (along with cleaning supplies, paper towels, step stool, vaccuum, extension cords, etc...
    - shoes: in master bedroom closet
    - mail: sorted immediately into two piles "keep" and "pitch", all keep goes immediately into my office where it is sorted again into "asap" and "later" ,,, I put asap on the seat of my desk chair and later goes in my "todo" drawer (which gets sorted, dealt with, and emptied every week or so)
    - candles: a quilty pleasure (and I have way too many) are kept in a hallway closet (I have barred myself from purchasing anymore, until I deplete my current inventory to a more reasonably level). I also keep any extra decorating stuff in this closet (candle holders, frames, vases, etc...)

Everything in my house, has a spot ,,, if I find a spot isn't working for me, I adjust if/as needed. If nothing else, my house is organized (and clean). Now, if I can just get it properly decorated, I'll be all set. :)

• neetsiepie
    13 years ago

Keys, and other daily items (access badges, wallets, purses, etc.) Extra keys (car, house, mail, whatever - but the extras, not the ones you use frequently)
    I have some cute key holders I made out of old silverware & mounted on some decorative boards. It hangs on the side of a cupboard next to the door. I also hang DH's keys there (mine go in my purse).

Mail
    DH gets it before I get home, so he puts it on a counter in the garage next to the door to the kitchen. I then move it to a decorative box in my office to be sorted and dealt with later.

Pet leashes
    They hang on hooks in the garage behind the door that leads outside, not the big bay door. I also keep a fanny pack that I wear when we take them to the park, it has two holders for water bottles and in there I have extra bags & a collapsible water dish. Their leashes have clip on baggies.

Extra household things such as air freshener refills, light bulbs, candles, etc.
    I've got a hall closet with four drawers, one drawer holds only lightbulbs; another pet accessories & meds; 3rd holds candles & votive cups, and 4th has seasonal linens.

We're not a shoes off house. I put mine in the closet when I change out. DH leaves his wherever. My outdoor shoes & DH's concrete shoes go in a large wicker laundry basket in the garage.

I have two plastic tote boxes, one is a 33QT and it holds a 40 lb bag of dog food. A smaller tote holds part of a 25 lb bag of cat food. They're stored in my kitchen cab. In the garage I also have another tote for the food for the outside cats and two that hold bird seed and assorted nuts for the birds & squirrels.

etc...
    I'm obsessively organized. Everything is containerized or assigned special places. Right now I'm dreaming of how I'm going to redo our MB closets and I have to figure out how to store all my purses in it.

• jakabedy
    13 years ago

DH leaves his badge in his car. He also has a wood tray on his dresser and that's where his watch, keys and pocket stuff go at night. My purse sits on a dining room chair or on the end of the counter (I know, I know). My keys stay in my purse.

Mail

First stop is the garbage can. If it is for DH it goes on his keyboard on his computer. If it is mine, magazines go by my bed, bills, etc. go under my monitor on my desk.

Pet leashes

We hardly ever use them,, In fact, ours don't even wear their collars unless I have to take them somewhere. These are in a milk crate on a shelf in the closet along with other doggie things, like toys and frisbees.

Extra keys (car, house, mail, whatever - but the extras, not the ones you use frequently)

In a ziploc bag in the top right "main" junk drawer in the kitchen.

Diferent places. Light bulbs are in the linen closet in my bathroom. Candles are in the buffet in the dining room. No air fresheners here. Vacuum bags are on a closet shelf with the swiffer refills.

The bulk of mine are in a cubby/organizer that sits on top of my closet shelf. The ones I wear around the house (a pair of crocs and a pair of flip-flops) sit by my bed. DH has slippers and flip flops that stay under his nightstand, the rest are in his closet in his cubby.

Cat food is in a bin in a pull-out kitchen cabinet. Pet medicine is in a small drawer that pulls out inside that big pull-out. Dog food is in a big tub in the front coat closet. When we buy a big bag, we empty it into the tub.

etc...

• Oakley
    13 years ago

I do have two nicely organized plastic containers, about shoebox size.

One container holds all batteries except the large one's, and the other container holds my household tools..hammer, nails, etc. We keep them in the front room closet which is full of shelves. I can't believe how handy those are!

• laxsupermom
    13 years ago

Keys & DH's wallet - in a hand thrown pottery bowl made by a dear friend. They have a kiln in their basement. It's just a hobby, but she comes up with some beautiful glazes.

Mail - in our message center in the kitchen. Mail slots are on the left.

Pet leashes - none.

Extra Keys - all keys are on our key chains, any duplicates(car keys for example) are on my cousin's key chain. If I lock my keys in the car, it's just a quick phone call away.

Extra household things - in drawers, not displayed.

Shoes - Foyer closet.

Pet food - in a 20qt Rubbermaid tote in a cabinet in the kitchen.

• itltrot
    13 years ago

* Keys, and other daily items (access badges, wallets, purses, etc.)

Hubby's keys, wallet etc are supposed to go in his cabinet in the dining room by the back door. Most of the time they end up on the kitchen bar.

My purse sits on the desk.
    * Mail

Junk mail is tossed in the garage. Bills go in bill book in desk drawer.

* Pet leashes

Our mutts only see leashes when they go to the vet and sometimes not even then. But we keep one in the garage, one in the dog cabinet in the dining room, one in the camper, and one in hubby's shop building.

* Extra keys (car, house, mail, whatever - but the extras, not the ones you use frequently)

On hooks in the laundry room cabinets.
    * Extra household things such as air freshener refills, light bulbs, candles, etc.

Light bulbs, papertowels in laundry room cabinets. Candles in linen cabinet.
    * Shoes (Stay in the closet? Stay where you enter/exit most often? Garage?)

Baskets under bench in the dining room/kitchen. And overflow is returned to closets. During winter we pull a boot tray out of the garage to catch the snowy shoes.

* Pet food (esp. large dog food bags)

Food is dumped into a large trash can that dogs and mice can't get into.

* etc...

• margaritalady
    13 years ago

Keys on a hook on basement wall (which I have to pass through to the garage). Wallet stays in purse--purse goes in closet.

Mail

Junk mail gets pitched immediately. Bills go to home ofc. Reading material to magazine rack.

Pet leashes

On hook by the door.

On a key rack in the garage.

In a cabinet in the basement.

"Yard" shoes by the basement door. Others in the closet.

Years ago, purchased a large plastic bin made for this purpose. Holds a 20 lb. bag--which I use to fill smaller tupperware cereal storage containers from. (Small dog--so this lasts quite a while!)

etc...

• User
    13 years ago

keys: mine go in my purse, purse goes in foyer closet. DH's keys go in drawer in foyer console (along with his wallet, sunglasses, etc).

mail: gets sorted everyday. Junk thrown in recycling. Bills/documents to file put on DH's desk. Magazines put in reading spot (master bathroom, LOL!)

pet leashes and food: our beloved doggie passed away last November :-(, but until then leash and walking supplies (bags for pickup, wipes for wiping paws on way back in) in basement on small table next to garage door.

pet food: emptied into plastic tub and kept in basement at bottom of steps.

extra keys: in small basket in drawer in kitchen island.

light bulbs, candles, etc: on storage shelves in basement.

shoes: everyday shoes kept in baskets in foyer closet. Dress shoes (not worn very often) kept in bedroom closets. Sports shoes (baseball cleats for DS) kept in basket in basement by garage door. Removed immediately upon entering basement, or sometimes before entering basement. Yuck.

Everything in its place makes me very happy!

• porkandham
    13 years ago

Keys, and other daily items (access badges, wallets, purses, etc.) - My keys are in my purse. My purse, DH's keys and wallet are on a small section of counter in the corner of our kitchen that we don't use for food prep. If we are entertaining, we take that stuff to the MBR

Mail - Mail is sorted immediately.

Pet leashes - Our leashes aren't used very often. They live in the kitchen cabinet under my junk drawer. The drawer and cabinet are the only ones on the other side of the peninsula.

Extra keys (car, house, mail, whatever - but the extras, not the ones you use frequently) - Extra keys are in the junk drawer which has dividers to keep everything neat.

Extra household things such as air freshener refills, light bulbs, candles, etc. - Light bulbs are in an old dresser in the basement, along with extension cords and batteries(each size has its own plastic shoe box). Candles are in the junk cabinet with the dog's leash. Extra paper towels, TP, etc. are stored on shelves in the basement.

Shoes (Stay in the closet? Stay where you enter/exit most often? Garage?) Shoes stay in the closet.

Pet food (esp. large dog food bags) Dog food is transferred to a metal garbage can in the pantry.

etc...

I would love to have a mud room!!

• runninginplace
    13 years ago

* Keys, and other daily items (access badges, wallets, purses, etc.)

Keys-either in the bolt of the door, in a brass bowl next to front door or in purse/wallet/backpack of owner. Wallets are in purses or back pockets, purses are hung over corner of workstation in office.

* Mail

Sorted at console table directly inside front door (next to brass bowl for keys). Trash goes out, magazines go into basket a few feet away. To be filed/paid goes in office to be dealt with

* Pet leashes

Never have managed to get one of those on either of our cats :)

* Extra keys (car, house, mail, whatever - but the extras, not the ones you use frequently)

Labeled, on a key rack in the back hallway between kitchen and garage.

* Extra household things such as air freshener refills, light bulbs, candles, etc.

In drawers or cabinets in kitchen.

* Shoes (Stay in the closet? Stay where you enter/exit most often? Garage?)

I don't really understand this one--shoes go into the closet. Where else would they be?

* Pet food (esp. large dog food bags)

In the pantry.

• txcountrygal
    13 years ago

# Keys, and other daily items (access badges, wallets, purses, etc.) Keys are kept on a key holder (decorative black iron rack) on our laundry room wall (this is actually our "real" entry into our home. Access badge and wallet stay in my purse. When I get home from work, I put my purse and tote into a deep drawer in my desk (built-in desk in our living room).

# Mail - DH picks it up each day at our PO Box. He drops recyclable junk mail into the recycle bin at the post office (those things w/o personal info on them). Other mail is brought home. Bills go into a sorter in his home office. He places my mail on our kitchen island - I pick it up when I come in from work and handle then.

# Pet leashes - These are only used for trips to the vet so we don't have to access them often (we have a large fenced back lawn for the pups to get in their exercise). They're stored in a stackable plastic organizer in our pantry with all the other pet supplies. Dog food (bought in 40# bags is also stored in our pantry in lidded containers. In our climate, summers are super hot and we can't store any food items (pet or human) in our garage/we have no basement.

# Extra keys (car, house, mail, whatever - but the extras, not the ones you use frequently). These are kept in a kitchen drawer in a little white organizing bin. Keys that we use often are kept on the laundry room wall rack (car, truck, tractor, riding mowers, auto gate opener, well house, storage building/barn, trailer hitch, etc.). Can you tell by now that we live on a farm? :)

# Extra household things such as air freshener refills, light bulbs, candles, etc. Light bulbs are kept in the cabinet above our washer/dryer in the laundry room - we have cabinets that go to the ceiling and this is where we keep items we don't use that often. Foo foo items (candles, melting wax, diffusers, plug in refills, were kept in a lower kitchen cabinet but began taking over too much space. Now, they're stored in an antique cabinet in our guest room.

# Shoes (Stay in the closet? Stay where you enter/exit most often? Garage?) Living on a farm, we do have shoes that are meant for outside only. I work in an office, so work and casual shoes, sandals, etc. are in our master bedroom closet. Gardening clogs, rubber boots, DH's outdoor boots and shoes, are kept in our garage on a 3-shelf stainless stand with wire shelving - to allow wet shoes to dry.

# Pet food (esp. large dog food bags) .... oops - answered this above.

• les917
    13 years ago

We don't have a mudroom or back entry (no garage, either) so we all come in the side door from the driveway, which opens into the front entry hall. As for your questions:

# Keys, and other daily items (access badges, wallets, purses, etc.)

Table in entry hall has a sectioned decorative wood tray where the guys each put their keys. Mine stay in my purse. The purse goes under the entry table. Wallets go up in the bedrooms on the dressers, (or stay in the boys' jeans pockets, LOL).

# Mail

Mail gets put on the kitchen counter by whomever gets it from the mailbox. It is sorted by recipient, and each of us is responsible for taking care of our own mail.

# Pet leashes

There is a cute bone-shaped pegged plaque by the back door, with our dog's name on it, that holds two leashes and the towel used to dry her off if raining, etc. Her coat hangs on a command hook inside the door of one of the entry hall closets

# Extra keys (car, house, mail, whatever - but the extras, not the ones you use frequently)

We really have no extra keys. The spare house key and key to the back shed are in the 'miscellaneous' cupboard, top shelf, in the kitchen.

# Extra household things such as air freshener refills, light bulbs, candles, etc.

Don't use air fresheners, light bulbs belong in the utility/laundry room, candles are only used for decorative purposes so are in holders around the house. The few extra candles are down in the family room in my craft area on a shelf.

# Shoes (Stay in the closet? Stay where you enter/exit most often? Garage?)

Shoes are on people's feet, or in their rooms. No shoes allowed to be left in the entry hall. Winter boots are in the coat closet in the hall, and one pair of old athletic shoes used for lawn mowing.
    # Pet food (esp. large dog food bags)

We have a large container that holds one bag of the dog's food at a time. It is kept in the kitchen, as that is where her food and water bowls are.

• nlmorejon
    13 years ago

Wow, you guys are way too organized for me.
    Let's see: Keys....where I usually can't find them
    Purse....on the first counter I come into contact with
    Mail.....I'm lucky if it gets sorted within the first two days(good thing we pay our bills on line)
    The rest....You don't really want to know... LOL

• toriat
    13 years ago

Keys, and other daily items (access badges, wallets, purses, etc.) I HAVE A SHELVING UNIT BY MY DOOR AND PUT MY KEYS AND GLASSES IN A WOVEN BASKET. I ALSO HAD HOOKS INSTALLED IN THE INSIDE OF CLOSET DOORS THAT I CAN HANG MY PURSE ON. I HAVE A DECORATIVE UNIT WITH HOOKS ON IT NEXT TO MY DOOR INTO THE GARAGE THAT I CAN PUT COATS, A PURSE OR SCARF ON. Also a decorative hook unit installed in my stairwell to the basement. My basement is only semi finished so it works okay. I hang guest coats there too as space is at a premium.

Mail -A BIG PROBLEM. I GO THROUGH IT IN MY GARAGE BEFORE GOING INTO THE HOUSE AND PUT THE JUNK MAIL IN THE RECYLCLE BIN BEFORE IT GETS TO HOUSE. I USUALLY HAVE A LITTLE PILE AND THEN THAT GOES TO MY DESK FOR ACTION.

Pet leashes NO PETS

Extra keys (car, house, mail, whatever - but the extras, not the ones you use frequently) I HAVE A PLASTIC BOX IN MY CLOSET/PANTRY THAT I KEEP ALL EXTRA KEYS IN.

Extra household things such as air freshener refills, light bulbs, candles, etc. AIR FRESHENER I WOULD PUT IN THE POWDER ROOM VANITY CABINET. CANDLES I HAVE A FEW OF THEM IN MY DINING ROOM DRAWERS. OTHERS I WOULD STORE IN THE BASEMENT. LIGHT BULBS GO INTO MY PANTRY/CLOSET. I ALSO KEEP SOME UPSTAIRS IN MY CLOSET SO THEY ARE HANDY IF THEY GO OUT.

Shoes (Stay in the closet? Stay where you enter/exit most often? Garage?) MY SHOES ARE IN THEIR BOXES IN MY CLOSET LABLED. I ALSO HAVE A WALL SHOE HANGER FOR SOME in another closet. SOME THOUGH DO GET STUCK BY THE DOOR BUT ONLY THE PAIR I WEAR IN THE HOUSE ALL THE TIME. SO ONE OR TWO PAIR MIGHT BE OUT FLOATING AROUND UNFORTUNATELY.

NO PETS.
    etc