SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

David Letterman..uh oh

Oakley
14 years ago

I guess David is going to have to come up with new jokes! lol. I heard on the news this morning that last night on his show, he said he had affairs with women at work, and he was coming forward because he was being blackmailed by it. I think the person blackmailing him was arrested.

I've always liked DL, but the past few years he seems to have become extremely cruel in his jokes about other people. Especially Republicans who had affairs! Whoa.

I'm shocked that after spending so many years making fun of people and politicians cheating on their spouses, he has been doing the same.

Comments (40)

• yborgal
    14 years ago

I was a bit confused. I believe this was going on while he was married, but he left it open for the audience to wonder if it happened before he got married. Shame on him.

"People in glass houses............"

• folkvictorian
    14 years ago

This is the guy who made sexual jokes about Sarah Palin's 14-year-old daughter. Ug, what a sick man. I used to be able to watch the late night shows and get a laugh out of them, but Letterman and others have become so hateful that it's simply impossible to watch their shows. Lucky for Letterman that this news story will last about 10 minutes and then everyone will forget about it.

• Related Discussions

David Austin Roses - Own Root vs. Grafted

Q

Comments (13)
    I think most discussions of "own root" vs. "grafted" may be nearly irrelevant, UNLESS one is speaking of specific varieties and specific rootstocks. Each rose variety is genetically unique, and so the root system it produces will be different from that of any other rose, and its behavior on a specific grafted rootstock may be different from that of any other rose. So it becomes dangerous to generalize too much. In reality, every rose is on a "rootstock," whether there is a graft present or not; in an own-root rose, that rootstock is simply that particular rose's root system, which is genetically unique. Of course it is true that most of Austin's roses are at least somewhat related to each other, but even there, there is enough variability that I think it becomes unreasonable to generalize too much. As for the rootstocks under grafted plants, there is a tendency for extreme vigor (Fortuniana) or moderate vigor (Dr. Huey or Manettii), or low vigor (odorata or canina), etc., and a tolerance of acid soils (multiflora) vs. alkaline (Dr. Huey). But those are tendencies. Each scion variety will behave somewhat differently on each of these stocks, and each scion variety will behave differently from other scions, on a given stock. On top of all of that, then, are soil and climate of a specific garden, both of which will affect behavior of a rose on the roots it is given. So I think it is legitimate to say "in Lakeland Florida, even on our sandy, nematode-infested soils, I prefer Austin's "Graham Thomas" and "Heritage" on 'Dr. Huey' over 'Fortuniana' (since they won't rebloom well) or own-root (since they won't survive long), but I prefer 'Souv. de la Malmaison' and its sports on 'Fortuniana' (a combination that gives excellent vigor, floriferousness, and longevity), but 'Tausendschoen' and 'Crepuscule' are excellent on their own roots," those statements may not be true of other varieties, nor of these same varieties in other gardens, in different climates, and with different soils. The bottom line, then, is Caveat Emptor. Yes, get others' opinions and experiences, but realize they may not match what happens in your garden with your set of varieties.
    ...See More

Who am I? Looks like a David Austin or another English rose!

Q

Comments (29)
    I have 5 abe Darby's & 3 tamoras they both have great scent - your rose looks like Darby to me !! The colors can vary depending on weather when it comes to Darby. In winter my blooms have strong apricot, peachy yellow & pink but in summer it's very pink. Tamora can also vary in color due to weather. When I saw your pics- Darby was first rose that came to mind. I'm a David Austin rose freak - I have around 20 different austins, plus a few extras of my favorite Austin bushes but I'm not counting those. Tamora is a great rose also, the scent reminds me of starburst :) yum but here in class the bush isn't the most vigorous grower- Both are susceptible to black spot in my garden. Darby however is extremely vigorous. I've noticed on my Darby, the blooms can vary greatly, some are so packed with petals & others not so much ( prob Bc of the heat!) i just dead headed all of mine otherwise I would post pics :( sorry but Good luck!! :)
    ...See More

David Austin roses now shipping to Canada end of April

Q

Comments (21)
    Normal For Austin's country wide at least with the older ones. Its more their breeding like a good old alba. They need time to establish before showing what they can do. The problem is waiting 3,4,or five years and if they never get better. Oh the wasted years! Carol I'm so sorry about your arm. I hope that you are at the very least comfortable and that your pain leaves soon.
    ...See More

David Austin 2019 UK new introductions

Q

Comments (48)
    Marlorena, anyone on this thread could you please share how Eustacia has done for you. I know we are not getting her in 2020 =(, but I can't wait to have her. I will def try Emily and Mill on the Floss, but keep thinking about Eustacia. Also I read on a Uk rose review site that The Mill on the Floss gets black spot, any comments on this? After seeing how amazingly healthy Olivia Austin is, I had great expectation for any new releases.
    ...See More
  • Oakley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

folk, I stopped watching him when he became hateful. Hateful and cruel. I was appalled at what he said about SP's daughter. He can hate on SP, but leave the kids out of it. Oh, he does leave kids out of it unless they're republicans. ;) The republicans are going to have a field day with this. lol. I may have to watch FOX news tonight. hee.

It's not so much that he cheated, but he took glee in cutting down others in a public way on his show, when they cheated.

Mona, he and his wife lived together for 20 years before they got married this year. How embarrassing for her.

• tinam61
    14 years ago

I never watch him and I really don't get into the celebrity lifestyles, rumors, etc. whatever it is they are up to, so it's really of no interest to me.

Most live a different kind of life that the regular Joe.

• yborgal
    14 years ago

Oakleyok,I watched his tale last night and though it was a serious matter he made light of it. And he used "women" rather than "woman"....how many did he dilly-dally with, I wonder?

I do feel for his wife. Even though they only officially married last March, being together for 20 years made her his common-law wife.

He was married before and he has admitted that the marriage did not survive because he cheated on his wife many times. At the time of the interview he said he was so sorry for his immature behavior and said he was a different person now.

What is it people say about a leopard changing its spots?

• mitchdesj
    14 years ago

Thank god you guys keep me abreast of the latest news, lol.... I had not heard.

Nothing surprises me anymore but honestly, what a jerk. Of course he had to admit this before the story leaked to the press. How many staff members, over what period of time, I'm sure we'll find out soon.

Not classy at all. Not too smart either.

• User
    14 years ago

I just want to know who would have an affair with David Letterman. I mean, have you seen the man?

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

I seem to remember something like that going on with Bill Maher, also. Maybe even him talking about it. I doubt it's uncommon. Alhough I also doubt the married likes of a Jay Leno would be hot to trot with all the ladies like that. Lots of women undoubtedly throw themselves at these guys.

• User
    14 years ago

I guess power and money and fame must be a terrific aphrodisiac to some women. How else to explain Woody Allen's "sex appeal"?

• polly929
    14 years ago

LOL auntjen, I was wondering the same thing when I heard the story.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

When I got home a bit ago I put the TV on the last hour of the Today Show, the one with Kathie Lee Gifford hosting, which I never watch. lol. (I watch the first two hours of the Today show), and they were talking about it and it dawned on me that David REALLY made fun of Frank and KL during the time Frank cheated on her. KL didn't say anything, but you knooowww she was thinking it. :)

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Well there ain't nothin' new about that!

Then there are the supermodels who marry, say, K. Richards of the Stones :shudder: or the guy from the Cars (Paula whats-her-name married whatever his name is). It was love at first sight for her. The LAFS part is what I can't understand : /

I like funny guys (not DL or BM!), so Woody doesn't surprise me, gettin' the girls. Too bad he completely lost his marbles though. That's another story.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Oh, and the girls may not have been too cute, either!

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

"Even though they only officially married last March, being together for 20 years made her his common-law wife."

No it does not.

New York does not have "common law marriage" laws on the books. States that do, have much more criteria to meet in order to recognize common law marriage than just dating for a number of years and then living together.

Regina Lasko, who is now married to Letterman, (for less than a year) was one of his staffers when they began their relationship. Why would this come as a shock that he dates staffers? Letterman was divorced in 1977 and remarried in 2009. If he didn't date anyone during that time I think that would seem odd. He also publicly dated another staffer a number of years ago.

I'm glad to see that Joe Halderman has been arrested. Blackmail is never OK. Supposedly, and according to news reports, Halderman was angry that Letterman had dated his current girlfriend.

I don't understand how so many think Letterman's looks play into this though. Regina Lasko was no beauty either and she isn't 62y/o like Letterman is.

{{gwi:2105060}} {{gwi:2105061}}

{{gwi:2105062}}

• natal
    14 years ago

Unfortunate, but hardly surprising. Kudos to Letterman for not playing the John Edwards/Mark Stanford card.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

Looks have never had much to do with attraction except for the shallow minded and even ugly people can have a sexual magnetism that defies understanding. Just as beautiful people can repel... there is so much more to attraction than looks.
    I am personally surprised by the men I have found attractive, compelling even, and one was fat. But I would never find a cruel or mean man (or lazy), no matter how handsome he was, attractive.

• User
    14 years ago

States that do, have much more criteria to meet in order to recognize common law marriage than just dating for a number of years and then living together.

Not exactly. In Texas, all it takes to be considered common law is to be in agreement that you are living together as a married couple and represented your union as such.

Q: What makes a common law marriage?
    A: Three elements must be present to form a common law marriage in Texas.
    First, you must have "agreed to be married."
    Second, you must have "held yourselves out" as husband and wife. You must have represented to others that you were married to each other. As an example of this, you may have introduced you partner socially as "my husband," or you may have filed a joint income tax return.
    Third, you must have lived together in this state as husband and wife.

I wouldn't call that "much more criteria."

As for looks entering into it ... just my own personal opinion. I happen to think that David Letterman resembles a gap-toothed frog, and a most unattractive one at that.

• natal
    14 years ago

And the plot thickens...

I've wondered recently whatever happened to Stephanie Birkitt? Remember her? Guess she's been a busy girl. ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: Stephanie Birkitt

• harriethomeowner
    14 years ago

Interesing how he doesn't seem to go for the supermodel type. Birkitt looks a lot like his wife, don't you think?

There are so many ways people can live their lives. As long as they are not hurting anyone or doing anything illegal, it's really no one else's business.

At least he didn't do some mealy-mouthed denial.

• User
    14 years ago

There are so many ways people can live their lives. As long as they are not hurting anyone or doing anything illegal, it's really no one else's business.

Do you think we're obsessed/fascinated with extramarital affairs in this country? Sometimes it seems that way to me. It's such juicy gossip fodder. In some other countries, the subject doesn't garner so much attention. I don't think that has anything to do with the frequency of occurrence in other countries either, as it's plenty prevalent here in the U.S.

• User
    14 years ago

Did he cheat or did he/she have an open relationship/marriage?

It's very possible that they had that arrangement and may still do.

Jim

• natal
    14 years ago

Jim, from what I've heard so far the trysts/affairs happened before he was married.

• yborgal
    14 years ago

I heard the affairs happened before he got married but during the time he and Regina Lasko were living together.

IMHO, that's still considered cheating on your partner.

In addition, if these women he fooled around with received promotions while they were involved with Letterman and others can prove they didn't advance in their careers because they wouldn't play, then maybe there will be some lawsuits in the future.

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

We don't know what kind of agreement DL may have had with his girlfriend, now wife. I know married people who are not monogamous but chose to stay married for a variety of reasons. I think that is a decision they make between themselves.

I am not defending DL in any way, but when I saw the clip, it didn't appear to me that he was intentionally making light of it, but that the audience thought he was joking.

• funkyart
    14 years ago

Things I don't get:

• Why so many are interested in the initimate details of others lives.

How so many quickly jump all over a public figure for doing what so many of us and those around us have done. OK, before you start the "not me"s and the "not my spouse"s, the statistics are pretty clear. It isnt just tv personalities, politicians and basketball stars are having affairs. How a woman could be so shallow as to suggest that a man doesnt deserve love, sex or marriage if he isnt beautiful. Imagine the uproar if a man posted the same thing about women on here. Why so many spend so much energy, time and thought on how strangers are live their lives.

This crap is news because we, as a nation, FEED on it. Surely there are better things for us to read, discuss and spend out energy on. It is embarrassing to me.

• natal
    14 years ago

Funkyart, all true, but don't forget you opened and read this thread before commenting on it as have others with similar sentiments (on other forums). If there were zero interest wouldn't it fly under the radar?

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

The title of this thread does not really say much, so opening it does not indicate a prurient interest.

The first thing I thought when I saw the title was that he had another heart attack and then thought that maybe he was a victim of another crazy person. Which turned out to be true. There was a blackmail attempt that was foiled. A few years ago there was a plot to kidnap his son and hold him for a 5 million dollar ransom. Before that he had been stalked by a schizophrenic woman who repeatedly broke into his home. I'm sure there have been more incidences that have not been publicized. And remember his emergency quintuple heart bypass operation? Reading a title like *David Letterman..uh oh* made me think he may have had a heart attack and was hanging by a thread clinging to life on a hospital bed. I thought that another great American icon was ready to pass on.

The news is that there was a blackmail attempt and that he may have abused his power over his staff and may be dropped by the networks. If there are no women complaining about workplace forced sexual relationships I think this whole thing will blow over. Letterman always made fun of hypocrites like politicians touting 'family values' who get caught with mistresses and illegitimate offspring, or televangelists who preach fire and brimstone for homosexuals and then get caught with their pants down at a gay brothel. He made fun of hypocrites - not people who just live quiet lives as homosexuals or swingers or whatever. I really don't care at all that he and Regina were "living in sin" for 8 years or that they had an "illegitimate" son or that they may be swingers. Nor do I obsess on his level of handsomeness to women.

He is safe. He is healthy. The bad guys in this story have been caught and will go to jail. That's the news today.

• natal
    14 years ago

Let's hope that's the way it rolls!

Was flipping channels last night and landed on Headliners & Legends on MSNBC. They were re-running a Letterman biography that ended with a quick update of recent events. I've enjoyed his talent and special brand of comedy through the years. Hope the extortion creep gets what he deserves!

• OllieJane
    14 years ago

His girlfriend, now wife, has let him get away with it all these years, so if this is how she wants to live, so be it. She knew how he was before she was stupid enough to have a child with him and marry the guy. I don't feel sorry for her one bit!

• Oakley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Funky, why don't you go back and reread my OP. I did the topic because DL takes pride in making fun of other's cheating sex lives on his TV show, while he's been doing the same thing! It's the ONLY reason I posted it.

It doesn't matter if they married this year or not, he was living with her, she was his girlfriend, mother of his child, so he still cheated.

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

Its not cheating if all parties involved know about it.

I think the notion of the weak innocent female victim is sexist toward females and a holdover from the 19th c. when a woman without a man *truly had no place in acceptable society.

Women, particularly in the socioeconomic groups enjoyed by celebrities have the choice to stay or go. Those that stay have made the choice to stay for their own reasons, whether it be status, riches or some form of security...whatever. That is up to them.

I am very cynical but I *assume that people in powerful positions are used to getting what they want, (including sexually) and tend to put themselves first, in general.

• funkyart
    14 years ago

Oakley, here is a tip that you may find helpful while navigating the message boards: not all posts to a thread are directed at you. It doesnt matter if you start the post or not. It is a public discussion. It isnt your private party.

I don't get that so many are fascinated by these topics-- that is my point. It's not about YOU, it is about the entire population. The media wouldnt be responding to what one or two people want to hear about-- as a NATION, we soak this crap up.

Had I responded to you, individually, I would have pointed out that comedians poke fun at everything-- including their own selves. Yet, again, it supports my point. Comedians give us the jokes that we respond to. It's a business afterall. He doesnt stand alone as the only one making jokes about public figures caught doing something wrong-- the industry pokes fun at public figures embezzling, cheating, making spectacles of themselves. Again, we feed on that. Look at the comedy from another era, it isnt so focused on public figures or their private lives.

What I do agree with is that David Letterman's schtick has become rather bitter and nasty. I watched him for many years-- and have even been in his live studio audience. I don't watch him anymore though because I don't find him entertaining but clearly many still do.

We, as a nation, have lost focus on what is important in this world. WE. I am a member of the same public.

And for the record, I had no need to reread your post. I read it and each that followed in the discussion. I am a very capable and accomplished woman. I have no problem comprehending the english language or the written word. I don't appreciate your condescending tone. Perhaps that works in your world but it sure doesnt earn my respect in a forum of peers.

• graywings123
    14 years ago

David Letterman having affairs in his office = no big deal.

Someone arrested for trying to extort a couple million dollars from David Letterman = interesting stuff.

• User
    14 years ago

I don't quite appreciate being told I'm "shallow" because I said I couldn't imagine anyone being attracted to David Letterman or Woody Allen. But if that makes you feel better to say so, have at it. I may be "shallow" but some of you are just plain mean.

• tinam61
    14 years ago

Jen - haven't you ever felt an *attraction* or thought someone sexy regardless that they were not *good looking*??? I have always thought Steven Tyler (Aerosmith) sexy, but to me, he's certainly nothing to look at. Of course, that's my view on his looks. Someone else may think he's gorgeous. I've often wondered about one of my husband's good friends - for years he was unmarried. Granted, he is not especially physically attractive, but he is one of the most loving, caring, compassionate men I know. That has always drawn me to him, in a friendship way, but for years I told my husband what a wonderful partner he would make for some woman. And he did!

Truly, I'm just curious. I'm not saying you are shallow or trying to be mean, I'm just plain curious. Please don't think otherwise!

I think Funky's response was dead-on regarding much of society's obsession with celebrities. They are people, just like us. To be honest, there are not many who I would want to trade places with.

tina

• funkyart
    14 years ago

I certainly didnt intend to be "mean".. I didnt even associate the comment with a specific person. However, it is something I don't "get" and I stand by what i said-- it is a shallow view of a person (and love) to see only their exterior. I also believe that you/we would jump all over a man who made the same kind of comment.

• User
    14 years ago

Of course I understand that attraction. I don't necessarily find picture-perfect men desirable. My point was that I personally find Letterman extremely unattractive. I feel like I'm being told I'm "shallow" for stating my opinion as such. Maybe I'm taking it too personally, but some of the comments just really hit me the wrong way.

• funkyart
    14 years ago

Your comments were pretty strong, Jen, and you went further than to say you found him unattractive.

"I just want to know who would have an affair with David Letterman. I mean, have you seen the man?"

"I happen to think that David Letterman resembles a gap-toothed frog, and a most unattractive one at that. "

I wouldn't have singled them out had you not taken such exception to my post. I didnt extrapolate or misconstrue your comments. You were very clear.

I did not single out any one person in my original post- it wasnt about any one person. I shared what bothered me in this thread, in the many others like it, and in life, in general. I don't get how much we enjoy seeing others' flaws. I am surely not without them-- none of us are.

Perhaps I should have kept my thoughts to myself.. but being a discussion, I didnt think I would offend anyone. I was sharing my perspective and looking for thoughtful discussion.

I had series of 14 hr work days and learned of a death in my circle-- so perhaps my words weren't soft enough or chosen carefully enough, but I don't believe I was off base.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

I don't want to analyze every post because then I would have to pay attention and read them :) but I certainly wasn't even subtly implying you were shallow Auntjen - the last thing I would ever think of you being- It was just a comment in general - I was mainly thinking of people who say "He's Hot!" without caring a bit about a personality. Or people who get fixated on a celebrity they know nothing about except looks wise.

I could care less about David L.and have never had an opinion on him one way or the other as I have never seen his show. Yep, that's right.

• User
    14 years ago

Alright, Funkyart. I have no desire to "debate" something this trivial with you (or anyone).

I appreciate those of you who clarified that your "shallow" comments weren't directed at me, though. It's not always easy to figure out exactly what others are trying to convey, and sometimes all too easy to jump to conclusions and misread intent.