SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20014168

August 2010 Monthly Block Lotto Begins!

User
13 years ago

Here's how the monthly lotto works...

By the first of each month, the block lotto is posted on the forum.

You may enter from 1 to 3 blocks. For each block you send, your name will be entered once.

Please put your blocks, along with a slip of paper with your real name, address, and FORUM name, inside a plastic baggie. (A return address label inside or on the outside of baggie works well too.)

Please include one dollar to cover postage for sending on to the winner.

We ask that everyone only send their best efforts! We are not looking for perfection, but please take your time, have fun, and send only the quality that you would like to receive.

Please note the following guidelines:

Use 100% QUILTING cotton and please - no fur, smoke or fragrances.

Selvage edges should be trimmed off before cutting for blocks and all seams should be 1/4 inch.

Your finished block should be squared up to be no less than 1/4 inch smaller nor 1/4 inch larger than the stated (unfinished) size for the month.

Blocks need to reach the lotto coordinator no later than the last day of the month.

The winner will be drawn on the first day of the following month and posted on the forum.

The winner is to choose a block and/or colors for a future lotto that will be added to the list.

Our block this month is Scrap Zigzag, chosen by stitches.

Stitches requests that it be done in red with white-on-white background. That should really stand out on this pattern!

Here is a link that might be useful: Scrap Zig Zag

Comments (39)

• calliope
    13 years ago

I forgot to mention I don't think I can delay finding out who won them or I'll explode. LOL.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I can tell, you posted your eagerness for July blocks on August! I'm pretty excited, too! I won't know before you do who won!

• Related Discussions

July 2010 Monthly Block Lotto

Q

Comments (88)
    OH MY GOSH! I am so thrilled! I didn't know I had won - we just returned about 3 hours ago (after 5 weeks) of travel and found a box full of BEAUTIFUL quilt squares in my mail. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! I am going to be so excited playing with all these squares and deciding how to arrange them. Everyone did a beautiful job. Sue/polardream
    ...See More

Monthly Block Lotto Patterns Oct - Dec 2010

Q

Comments (0)
    For those who would like to peek or plan ahead, the monthly block lotto patterns for the rest of this year are now posted on our google docs page. We have a nice mix of colors and block sizes, and exciting visual variety, though none of the patterns appears to be very difficult. These look to be very versatile blocks that can be set with or without sashing, and even stand as just a few in a table runner. I think there will be something among these patterns that will appeal to lots of quilters! Here is a link that might be useful: Monthly Block Lotto Patterns Oct - Dec 2010
    ...See More

October 2010 Block Lotto

Q

Comments (30)
    The list of blocks & numbers was sent to calliope, and then a helpful forum user picked a number. The winner of this month's lotto is................ buteau3rd!!! Congratulations! Besides winning this month's blocks, you may also choose an upcoming month's pattern & colors. Your month will be next March. Please let me know if you'd like to make that choice or leave it to the moderator. And again, congratulations! Your blocks will go out in the mail tomorrow. Kay
    ...See More

December 2011 Monthly Block Lotto - Early Posting

Q

Comments (71)
    Yes, congrats to everyone! The "other" generous winner was buteau3rd, who made 3 blocks for us and declined to enter the drawing. What a lady! Congrats to calliope and carolnv. You're both getting a treasure trove! In order to get a picture of all the blocks together, I'd have had to lay them out in the yard and take a picture from the deck! So they're posted on the Google docs December 2010 page by participant (link below). Calliope, if you'd like, go ahead and choose which blocks you'd like so I'll know how to split them! No need for extra postage, our postage kitty has been gradually creeping upward, so there's enough to cover the split packages. Again. congratulations to EVERYONE for such a wonderful lotto month! What a great way to close 2010! Kay Here is a link that might be useful: December 2010 Block Photos
    ...See More
  • calliope
    13 years ago

LOL, I wondered where my post went, and I guess I misplaced it myself!

• calliope
    13 years ago

Give us some guidelines on the red. Solids/prints/read as/calicos?

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok, stitches, are you with us? Can you answer calliope's question? Let's give her a couple of days to respond and if we don't hear, how about all of the above?

• jck1210
    13 years ago

This looks like a fun one too, count me in for 3!!!

Kat

• sbordelon
    13 years ago

Ok. Where should we send the blocks???

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

Count me in for 3 -- seeing as how I did 2 of them last night! Guess I put the cart before the horse, so to speak, & made the blocks before signing up:) Oh well, better than signing up & forgetting to make the blocks at all, right??!

• Robbi D.
    13 years ago

Let me see how much fabric I have and I'll see how many to sign up for. I use a lot of red fabrics in my hand applique, but I probably have a bunch of scarps. Darn, I might have to get some more fabric !!

I like this pattern. It looks like it should go together pretty quick.

• Nancy Morris
    13 years ago

Sorry not to answer sooner. Been on vacation. Probably any type of red fabric.

Nancy

• calliope
    13 years ago

OK, let's not let this slip into oblivion after last month's super response! This is a super easy pattern within reach of any quilter and it would also be a cool quilt if sashed with blue.

I've found the lottos to be self-fulfilling prophesies. People tend to jump in when the kitty is large, but the kitty won't get large until people jump in. LOL. If anyone is at all interested and thinking about doing this block, sooner is a better time to commit than later because it tends to bring a larger overall response.

I really don't have extra time this month, but I'll commit to two blocks because I know I can do them both in an hour. I'd do three, but reds are the only fabrics I am not long on.

• sbordelon
    13 years ago

Ok, I'm in for at least 2 blocks. Still waiting to find out where to send them :)

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kat 3
    quiltpartner 3
    calliope 2
    sbordelon 2

All right, we're off to a good start. Like lafonda_ranch, I'll be checking my stash for reds before I decide how many.

The link is below for the Google docs pages that have more detailed information and pictures. And it includes the mailing address.

Please be patient with it...Google docs seems to be temperamental at times. And just so you're all aware, I was asked if the google docs pages were public. The answer is no. It is not a website, it's just a collection of pages for those who participate in the GW Quilting Forum monthly and applique/paper piece lottos. The only place the link is posted is on the Quilting Forum. If there's something else you'd find helpful to have posted there, please let me know.

Here is a link that might be useful: Directory to Lotto Pages

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

Calliope, good point. We can't have a large # of blocks to win unless we all (or at least most) sign up!! I was surprised, a little, at how quickly they go together. Super easy block, & very striking w/the red! Someone will love getting them, whatever the number.
    Let's commit, ladies~

• magothyrivergirl
    13 years ago

The Garden Web Forum is public ~ you do not need to be registered - you can be one of thousands of the "lurkers" that view the Garden Web Quilt Forums,
    therefore, by default, the Google pages are also very Public. Anything posted here or on the Google website is potentially and most probably viewed by thousands worldwide. If you really want to test this, leave your Photobucket account (which I do not suggest you do) set to public, and see how many hits or viewings your photo(s) gets. I suggest (again) not to post personal addresses, email addys, private names, photos, or anything on the Google pages or a Public forum.

The internet is worldwide....So the real answer is Google pages is not a secure or Private website that only our small participating group views.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I guess I'm not as concerned about my own address being on Google docs (no one else's is of course) because it's already public due to my husband's business & website. With a business at home you have to blur that privacy line. I'm sure I'd be much more concerned if we didn't already have to be "public" for our customers. I just wanted to assure everyone on here that no email or mailing addresses from Quilt Forum are posted there, so no one will get any more information about them there than they would here.

My intention was just to have pages that might be useful to those who frequent the lottos in more detail and without having to do searches through so many threads. If there is a privacy concern, I'll be glad to take it down. Please advise.

• magothyrivergirl
    13 years ago

Kay~The Google Pages you have set up are very, very nice & a positive step forward for our Lotto. The information is in one place, concise, and you've done a wonderful, and time consuming job and you should be commended. My only point was to clarify that the Google Pages is open for anyone to see, as is this Forum, and remind people to be aware before they posted.
    This is in no way a complaint, or disagreement, or concern; please be assured I am not suggesting there is anything negative about the site.
    I too operate a longtime business at home ~ I "blur the privacy line" in the other direction :)

• polardream
    13 years ago

Kay,
    put me down for 3 blocks (but please don't put me in the drawing since I won the July blocks!)
    Looks like a fun block to try.
    Sue/polardream
    p.s. .... do I need to pick a block for a future lotto???

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay, Sue, you're down for 3.

Yes, you can start thinking about a block for a future lotto.
    It will be the November pattern.

June's winner, poldiceann, is mulling over choices for October, so we don't know yet the colors or pattern that yours will follow.

But it's time to start narrowing down some choices & colors.

I went back through as many threads as I could find and made a list of the patterns and colors used from January of 2009 forward. If it would be helpful I could post that on the google docs pages or email it to those trying to choose upcoming patterns. Just let me know what you'd prefer, if either.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay, Sue, you're down for 3.

Yes, you can start thinking about a block for a future lotto.
    It will be the November pattern.

June's winner, poldiceann, is mulling over choices for October, so we don't know yet the colors or pattern that yours will follow.

But it's time to start narrowing down some choices & colors.

I went back through as many threads as I could find and made a list of the patterns and colors used from January of 2009 forward. If it would be helpful I could post that on the google docs pages or email it to those trying to choose upcoming patterns. Just let me know what you'd prefer, if either.

• mary_c_gw
    13 years ago

Put me down for two. As Calliope pointed out, it's a super simple block.

And Hooray - I actually had fabrics in my stash for them.

• toolgranny
    13 years ago

I have plenty of fabrics also. Put me down for three.

• Robbi D.
    13 years ago

I found plenty of red! It was the white that I am short on. But, I finished 2 blocks, so sign me up.

I'll have them in the mail on Monday.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Time for an update. I've been on a mini-vacation, so haven't kept everyone updated on our status. The vacation was great! A few days away and a visit from a Texas friend. We visited the Lancaster Textile & Quilt Museum.. WOW! And of course, hit LOTS of quilt shops in the area and the Wilbur chocolate museum and shop. YUM, love those Wilbur Buds!

But back to August!

Here's where we are:

Kat 3
    quiltpartner 3
    calliope 2
    sbordelon 2
    polardream 3 Received
    mary c 2 Received
    toolgranny 3 Received
    lafonda ranch 2

That's a total of 20! ANOTHER BIG POT FOR THE WINNER!

The blocks all look wonderful and I don't think there's a duplication of print in the bunch!

• cziga
    13 years ago

This block looked like fun and so I've started 3 -- didn't want to sign up unless I thought I'd be able to complete them in time -- but its looking good. I should be able to get them into the mail in the next couple days so I'm signing up for 3 :)

• Robbi D.
    13 years ago

I mailed mine on Monday, 8/16. Please let me know if you don't get them in the next day or so. Usually the mail is faster than this!

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry, lafonda_ranch, I just found that while we had company, hubby put a stack of mail on my desk and your squares and quiltpartner's were in that stack that I started attacking today. Here, safe & sound. Sorry for the confusion! Normally I sort them out from the other mail as they arrive in the mailbox!

• Robbi D.
    13 years ago

Whew! Thank you for letting me know. I was afraid I was going to get done earlier each month due to the slow mail.

• cziga
    13 years ago

Well, the 3rd block I was trying didn't quite work out, lol. So I'm sending 2 blocks and they are on their way!

• jck1210
    13 years ago

I promise to get mine out this weekend!!! This is why I always hesitate to enter these things, I'm so busy/scatterbrained it always comes down to the last minute. Kay keep an eye out for the fedex man again!!

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That's ok cziga... I didn't think I'd have time to do any, but got one completed today, so we're there!

• calliope
    13 years ago

Kay..........I will not have my blocks in by month's end. Long story and I am very embarrassed, because I've never been late after committing to make them. But, life happened, and I'm putting out fires all over the place. The blocks were cut out, and I found out I made them for 16" blocks, instead of 12". I don't expect you to wait on them, and I don't expect to be included in the drawing. Just wanted you to know I will be sending them either to you (if I get them in the mail in the next day or two) or directly to the winner if I don't.

I'm sorry.

• jck1210
    13 years ago

Hi everyone, sorry I'm so late but this is the first time I'm really upright in the last 5 days and starting to feel a little better. I took a spill on the stairs on Friday and pulled my back on the right side and my front on the left side and my neck and what ever else could hurt. I started to cut my fabric last night but just couldn't sit at my machine. I will forward the blocks on to the winner later in the week so the pot stays a nice size. Again, sorry for not be able to get my blocks in on time.

Kat

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My goodness, this has been quite a month! Calliope, I hope things will be going better for you soon, and Kat, please feel better, right now!

I'll check back after the mail comes here, and see where we stand on what's in & what's not, yet.

Then I hope that I'll find a couple of folks online about 7 pm to help choose the lucky winner!

I will ask the winner about whether she would prefer having the blocks sent to me for forwarding, or if she'd be ok with having them sent directly to her by calliope and Kat.

Back with you all later this evening.

Kay

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

There are several blocks that haven't yet arrived, and since the guidelines state that the winner will be chosen on the first of the following month, does anyone object to drawing the winner tomorrow evening instead of tonight?

• mary_c_gw
    13 years ago

Nope! No objection from me.

• toolgranny
    13 years ago

As far as I'm concerned, if you organize this you get to call the shots. Go for it!

• cziga
    13 years ago

Well, they told me that it should get there by the 1st of the month but you know how unreliable the mail can be, lol :) Please, if my blocks haven't gotten there by the time you draw a winner tonight, please just forward them on to the winner when they arrive? Thanks!!

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

If you haven't mailed your blocks yet, please email me. Mary has consented to have me give you her address to mail them directly to her.

Thanks!

Cziga, hoping yours arrive today, so I'll hold off to include them in the box I send Mary!