SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hollysmom_2007

Chihuahua refusing to use potty pads all of a sudden

hollysmom_2007
16 years ago

I have a 1 year old chihuahua who has been trained to use potty pads since she was 3 months old. The pads are placed in a pop-up kennel and they completely cover the floor in there and it gives her a private place to go and no issues of missing the pads. Everything was going along great until just recently when she decided to pee on the floor a couple feet from where she's supposed to go. Now she fights going into the potty box to pee at all (poo is not an issue). I believe the problem is that she is very prissy and when she has a large pee, one or more of her feet will get wet and she has a fit!! I've started giving her a treat every time she pees, but she still won't go to the pads on her own -- I have to take her when I see her getting upset and pinning her ears (the sure sign she has to go). I'm planning on going today to pick up the reusable pads at petsmart to see if they absorb quicker. Does anyone have any ideas to help or know of a super-absorbant pad? PLEASE don't lecture me on how bad it is to use potty pads. She's 5 pounds and I live in Chicago where the temperature right now is 19 degrees with snow and sleet on tap for later today. Outside is not practical and I would rather not confuse her by doing outside sometimes and inside on nasty days.

Comments (3)