SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
samkaren_gw

Post Your Christmas Gifts (good and bad)

samkaren
16 years ago

If you remember I work for 4 departments with 30 full time people. Of the 30 only 7 remembered me this year.

Department #1 got me a gift card to my favorite store for $100

Boss in Department #2 got me a gift card to a second favorite store for $20

Department # 3 - nothing

Department # 4 - I got my annual coffe cup (that makes 11 in the past 13 years)

One a bright note I contacted the head of our radio station and asked him if he was interested in buying some of the duplicate CD's from my collection for the station. I gave him a very reasonable price and guess what his answer was!

First he said that I should take the tax deduction and donate them. THen he said "Poor college station - please donate". I replied back with "Poor secretary".

I'm going to go to a place that buys used CD's to see if they want to buy them.. If not then I am going to contact another university by my house and talk with their radio staiton (they are a rival of my university).

SamKaren

your resident DJ

Comments (91)

• kathi_mdgd
    16 years ago

When everyone asked me what i wanted i couldn't think of but one thing,and i could have gone and got that myself,but didn't.So i told DIL what it was(storage box for my wrapping paper.The underbed one.So she got me that and a couple sets of new dish towels,cloths and potholders,since she knew i am in the process of changing the accessories in my kitchen to brick red.She also gave me 2 more snowmen for my collection,a photo album and a WM gift card.

Dh had bought me the Kodak easy share printer,then Sunday the hard drive on my computor bit the dust,so he went out and bought me a new computor.

Plus i also got a very pretty MIKASA bowl,and several gift cards.

2 years ago several of my good friends and i stopped exchanging gifts.I suggested it and they all agreed.We all have most things we want and if we need something we go out and get it.So i suggested we stop exchanging,told them we don't need gifts to prove our friendships.Some of us have been friends for over 30 years,and the least was 12.

We decided we will all still get together several times during the year for lunch and chatting etc and that's all that's necessary.
    Kathi

• des_arc_ya_ya
    16 years ago

JMHO but I think in a lot of places that the gift giving gets totally out of hand.

To me, gifts are a lot more appropriate in a nonwork situation.

So, if you use "my" equation, "7 out of 30 people remembering" is a pretty good #!! LOL

We asked our grown kids not to buy for us this year, simply use it for themselves or their kids. I got a throw from two of my GKs (their mom had bought it on sale after Christmas last year). It says "Mamaw's Gray Hares and has two bunnies with their names embroidered on it. Also got the embroidered dish towels that I mentioned earlier. Twinkie and I don't even exchange gifts at Christmas. We usually try for a long weekend away somewhere together.

Did we have a great Christmas? We sure did! Hope you enjoy what you did get.

• Related Discussions

Post Here When You Send or Receive Your Secret Santa Gift

Q

Comments (150)
    From e-mails and posts, it sounds like Secret Santa has a great many presents in transit. Yahoo! Keep posting when you receive yours! :o) Being the head Secret Santa, it seems like it's the North Pole here!!!! We've had freezing temperatures. (One night this week it got down to minus 15 degrees here. BRRRRR!) Then, a MAJOR snow storm hit us. We have 3 feet of snow on our deck now...most of which came non-stop yesterday and last night! I just spent 3 hours plowing us out, and IT'S STILL SNOWING! It's so pretty though out here in the woods. All of the schools have been cancelled so I have the day off from teaching. It's a bummer though as we had to cancel our Christmas concert last night, and our class party is tomorrow, the last day before break. Many roads have been shut down as well. IT'S THE NORTH POLE! Ho Ho Ho! I'll attach a picture looking out our deck doors just now. I'll also attach a link to the deep snow we got in January (for those of you who didn't see my post back then) which kept us out of school for a week! Bear Hugs! Kirk Here is a link that might be useful: Winter Snow in January
    ...See More

2008 Secret Santa Gift: Post Your Thank You and Pictures Here...

Q

Comments (31)
    Well I was up early so went ahead and opened my SS gifts. WOW thank you Plumbnelly! I got the most beautiful hand painted gourd, a snowman spoon ornament, a Christmas Tree cone, a magazine, and a bag of peach marbles. Here is the photo of my stuff below. As you can see in the background, my newest cat just had to get in the picture. I'm single and live alone with my 3 cats so couldn't include a photo of myself. I tried and tried to wrap their little paws around the camera to take my picture, but they just couldn't do it. LOL Thanks so much for all my beautiful things. I had a great time opening them all. Donna in Florida From Garden
    ...See More

What were your homemade (or other) gifts for Christmas 2011?

Q

Comments (48)
    Wow -- it's such a busy time of year I'm so sorry to have not gotten back to this sooner. Joann, thanks for the very kind words. It's good to know you're smiling, and thanks for the sweet wishes. I so enjoy all the photos you've shared with us all. I marvel at your creativity. Newhomebuilder, thank you, you're so sweet. Good for you for collecting and passing on the Peter Rabbit china! I love Beatrix Potter's artwork, and my grandson is getting some of the dishes from me for Christmas. You are VERY talented in building and in decorating new homes. Your photos are just gorgeous. Plus your treat photos are making my mouth water. Thanks for posting the recipe. I want to try those out. Tina, thanks very much. Nice to "meet" you. Lisa, thanks! My daughter-in-law says, "Oh, it's an heirloom!" That makes me feel very good. Patty, I'll bet shell treasure those very special gifts from you. Next time we hope you'll take pictures. First girl in 30 years? Wow. She's a treasure. HeresLucy -- great name, btw. Thanks, you're too kind. Emagineer, what a wonderful, personal, thoughtful, creative gift! I'm sure he'll treasure it forever, and it will get lovingly passed down. Nanny, those stockings are gorgeous! Bless your son, I'll say an extra prayer for him. I'm sure he and his buddies will really, really, really appreciate the wonderful touch of home you're sending. Twin grandsons? Lucky you! Marti, thank you so much. I think he'll have to keep the top clutter free, so he can open it. I like that it has "breathing holes" so no kid can be shut in it, and it also has a slow-close lid that won't bang down on heads and precious little fingers, so it's a good design. Juddgirl, thanks! Boys are harder to shop for, aren't they? Looks like you made great gift suggestions. Merry Christmas to all!
    ...See More

Good or bad gift idea for daughter?

Q

Comments (19)
    I haven't read all the replies, but I say back away from the bedding. It is a great gift idea, but bad timing (unless it is something she adores, has to have and is on closeout -- in which case I'd buy it, hide it for later and hope she doesn't change her mind). It isn't something she is going to use now and it will seem less like a gift when is's pile of unused bedding in the corner while other people are using their gifts -- and then the new stuff is starting to feel old by the time she actually does get to use it. I know more girls who want to pick out things with a roommate (I never considered that, but I got a roommate who wanted to go shop and have everthing in the room match -- so we did, and it was fun, but not what I would have picked on my own). She may get things as gifts from others, and that's better suited to graduation gifts anyway. It isn't the gift idea -- just the timing. Letting her do her own shopping in London is a great idea. You could give her a preloaded card to spend so she has something to open and the choices on how to spend can be hers. Travel accessories are good if she doesn't have them, and many can come in handy for college (chargers she probably has, a power adapter, packing organizers, travel jewelry case, etc.) The Container Store has some nice options and Marshalls has a lot of travel jewely cases this time of year. Or something to do while on that long flight -- some new music to listen to, a video or two to watch, materials for a small needlework project if she's into any of those things or would like to learn, or a small coloring book and pencils.
    ...See More
  • monica_pa Grieves
    16 years ago

I don't understand why anyone feels that co-workers/supervision/managers should gift them on Christmas or any other social gift-giving day, unless there is a personal friendship that is outside of the workplace.

Year-end bonuses, that are taxable income are a different story.

• lyndy_pa
    16 years ago

From work I received $250.00 in cash, a $50.00 gift card for OutBack and a beautiful pointsettia. They also took us out to dinner with our spouses and even had open bar at dinner, then we had a luncheon. I was shocked at how generous and nice they were. But they are very nice there. I did not expect all that they did and I am very appreciative. Most Companies don't do anything today. And I really didn't expect anything. From my DH and family I received way too many gifts, it was very nice. Of course, my son always gives us the Phillies season tickets and he also gave me money for my vacation in Fla. this year And a baseball jersey. It was a really nice Christmas.

• bulldinkie
    16 years ago

I got 2 pair of really pretty earrings.One pair is a diamond with birthstone (Feb) The other 6 diamonds with a pearl dangling on end.
    I also got a new washer & dryer the new red LG Tromm set.Beautiful....
    A picture frame where you stick a memory stick in it and it plays your pictures.
    A jewelry box that is a piece of furniture,its on legs.It has about 8 drawers.
    My son had us all get family photos done.Gave them to me framed for my photo wall.Loved them...

• sharon_fl
    16 years ago

I was given $100 from DH, also received a pearl solitaire ring w/diamond chips on the sides, $325 in Home Depo gift cards, $25 gift card to Kohl's from my 2 grandkids,a bottle of my favorite perfume Shalimar and a remote control holder, plus a beautiful tray of cookies & candy from my neighbor. My gas grill bit the dust last spring so that's what I bought yesterday at HD with the gift cards as well as a grill light & grill cover...pick it up-assembled-today!

• tannatonk23_fl_z9a
    16 years ago

Samkaren, do you give out 30 gifts to co-workers??? That blows my mind. Where I work we have a pot luck luncheon but no one exchanges gifts. In our paycheck envelope we did all receive a $50 gift card to Publix which is a grocery store. That was a nice surprise and the first time anything like that has ever happened.

DH & I don't really exchange gifts - we do it up for the grandkids though! I did get a new "license plate" for the front of my Jeep. It's a beautiful underwater scene with fish and manatees that is a copy of a painting called "Warm Springs Refuge" by Don Ray. Looks good on the old Jeep!

~Betsy

• Pieonear
    16 years ago

I had a great Christmas. A Buddha for my garden, flat screen tv for my room, Kitchenaid mixer and GC for a massage.

• pris
    16 years ago

My boss has always been pretty generous. He gives Christmas bonuses starting at 25.00 & topping out at 300.00, based on years of service BUT, the last few years he's has started giving (up until this year) a portion in gift cards and the rest in cash. This year it was all gift cards. One Visa card and two gas cards. What he evidently doesn't realize is the men who work outside count on that bonus to provide a better Christmas for their children or grandchildren. This cut the amount they could use down to 1/3 of the total. I know they would never tell him but they were terribly disappointed because of that. I know they should plan for this each year, but this is SW Texas and the pay rate is not as high as it would be elsewhere and our workers tend to have larger families due to ethnic an religeous backgrounds. I'm of mixed emotions about this. One side of me says employees should plan better and the other side says "What was he thinking"?

• curlysue
    16 years ago

We had a great Christmas at home and at work.
    I work for a small company and each year they give us all a Christmas bonus-this year it was $500. I know, I thought I was going to pass out. It sure came in handy and I did let them know how much I appreciated it. Then the owner got me a beautiful bowl from MIKASA. We had taken up money and got the owners a very nice print and we had it framed and all. The manager always gets us something from his 7 year old son and we always get his son a gift. The other lady that works in the office with me got me a two tier serving stand which I love. I got her bath and body works gift set. I have never worked anywhere that was so giving. I like it.
    I just hate to open gifts really. I had always rather give than receive, but I'm starting to like the receiving end of it. All these great things that I love but never have the extra money to get for myself.

• kellym_2007
    16 years ago

It's interesting reading all the posts...We had a great Christmas, giving and receiving...Our best, was from our DD...A huge box from Omaha Steaks...She had picked out steaks, chicken, fish, pork chops and even stuffed potatoes....I don't know what to make 1st.That along with all kinds of other stuff including another piece for my collection of Clothtique gentlemen...My DH and I don't really exchange gifts but I got him a back massager and a RT to Florida...I normally go and visit a friend for a month or so and I figure he can come down and join us for a week...But you know, just having the family is "present" enough.....Wishes for a blessed new year, everyone....

• Lindsey_CA
    16 years ago

I work for the state -- the state doesn't give Christmas bonuses to us -- the taxpayers would have a major fit if they did!

What we do get is four hours of Holiday Informal Time Off (Holiday ITO). With prior approval from your supervisor, you can use the Holiday ITO to leave work early on either Christmas Eve or New Year's Eve. You cannot take two hours off on Christmas Eve and the other two hours on New Year's Eve. The four hours have to be taken together.

The Holiday ITO is at the Governor's discretion. Each year, we have to wait until the Governor's memo comes out, telling us that the ITO has been granted, before we can request to use it.

~*~*~*~

I, too, have been wondering if SamKaren gives gifts to all of the 30 folks whom she feels should give a gift to her. And if I were her and had received $100 from department #1, I would consider that to be from everyone in that department, not just from the person who handed it to me...

• judy_jay
    16 years ago

I got so much stuff I don't know where to begin. I got a $50 gift card from Wal-Mart & a $25 one from Big 5 sporting goods so I can get a new pr. of tennies which I badly need. DD got me a gold bracelet & earrings & black & white bracelets that I wanted to match all the black & white clothes I seem to have. Got some trouser socks I wanted, too, and got some gardenia body mist from work, plus body mist in that nice, clean laundry scent I love. Also got a week's pay bonus check which is always great to get.

• Cherryfizz
    16 years ago

Wow, I have never received a "bad" gift from anyone. How can a gift be bad unless it was a food iten and it had turned or it was given maliciously like a gift I was given one time by a friend's Mom when I was 16 (hair dye). I guess I did receive one "bad" gift afterall. LOL

I did quite well in the gift department this year and except for my annual stocking filled by my brother I didn't expect to receive anything nor wanted anything.

I received the KitchenAid Stand Mixer from Paul before Christmas which was a total shock to my system! LOL Paul filled a huge stocking and I mean huge with all kinds of goodies. This stocking was at least 4 feet high! Kindereggs big and small, socks, soduko game, scratch tickets, chocolates, shortbread, box of q-tips, hand sanitizer, shampoo, more chocolate, licorice all-sorts, After Eights, package of vcr blank tapes and more stuff I can't remember. LOL Oh yeah, Paul went out on Boxing Day and bought me 2 Christmas bulbs 1/2 price from the Hallmark Store and a set of Charlie Brown miniature tree decorations where all the characters are doing winter a winter activity. Sooo cute!

My friend Donna on Christmas Eve gave me a Digital key chain that you can dowload your pictures onto. She also gave me shortbread, Lays Bbq chips and some liqeur filled chocolates.

My sister Lizzie came over to spend Christmas Eve with me and brought gifts which I opened in the morning. She gave me a $50 gift card to Linen & Things, and a Scrabble Workbook. Lizzie and I played Scrabble Christmas Eve and I was wishing I knew where my misplaced Scrabble dictionary was. Lizzie coming to visit me on Christmas Eve was a wonderful gift in itself and we had lots of laughs.

My niece Laura came over with her Dad and her roommate for Christmas dinner. This is the first year Laura was able to go out and buy gfits on her own with her own money. I think she had a great time shopping for the perfect gifts she thought we would love. Just seeing the look on her face as we opened her gifts was a wonderful gift. This is her first Christmas without her Mom. Laura gave me a Dr. Scholl's Foot Spa that has heat, massage and bubbles and a zippered bag of spa goodies like sugar scrub, socks with aloe embedded in them, foot cream, a purple pumice stone. I can't wait to use it!

My gifts to everyone this year, friends and family and neighbours alike are plates of cookies made with love and with the help of my new KA mixer. LOL

Anne

• Jodi_SoCal
    16 years ago

All good things for me.

Got a complete kitchen remodel (the demolition was yesterday) with brand new SS appliances, sink, granite, cabinets, backsplash, flooring and lots of other goodies.

Because of the remodel we had to pack and move everything out of three rooms. We've been packing since a week after Thanksgiving. So this year we canceled Christmas. My DH, DD, DS and me picked names, and put a $100 limit on the gift. Informed everyone else we exchange gifts with the situation. I think everyone was relieved to have less shopping this year. Had a very nice Christmas at DD's. Ordered a complete dinner for four from a local grocery store. We just had to warm it up at DD's place. After dinner, we watched Love Actually.

Got lots of gift cards and other goodies from co-workers including three dinner parties and one very different gift, a few hours at a military flight simulation center where we were given flight training, outfitted with a jumpsuit and put into a fighter jet cockpit with seven other fighter jets filled with co-workers. We all had large screens in front of our jet and when flying each of us could see the other co-workers jets. We were put into a dogfight situation which lasted 45 minutes. It was exhausting trying to take out your manager but worth it! LOL We all hurt the next day from gripping the two control sticks so hard.

So, I'd say it was a very good Christmas all around.

Jodi-

• colleenoz
    16 years ago

I don't understand how the gift cards Pris' boss gave out can be worth only 1/3 of their stated value. Surely the Visa cards can be used to buy the same items cash would have been spent on, and the money saved on gas with the gas cards can be diverted for the same purpose?

• monica_pa Grieves
    16 years ago

colleeniz...by 1/3 the value, pris was talking about the total bonus. 2/3 of the bonus was in gift cards, 1/3 on a Visa card.
    If, say, the bonus was $300...that would be $200 in gasoline. Hard to use that amount up in a day or so. Yes, it would save money in the long term...but you can't buy gifts with savings from the next 2-3 paychecks not having to be used for gas.

It's a timing thing. Future savings vs. immediate cash value.

• lilliepad
    16 years ago

"One side of me says employees should plan better and the other side says "What was he thinking"?"
    Employees should never depend on bonuses to buy Christmas gifts! That's like "counting chickens before they hatch"!LOL I would have been grateful for the cards.Visa can be use for just about anything and a Gas card would be wonderful with the price of gas now days!
    DH is a courier for a bank.He has worked there for 11 years.They always have a Christmas party at a nice place either catered or they reserve a room. They have a tree with envelopes with cash up to $100.,scratch offs or numbers corresponding to gifts to choose from.They give everyone a number,then draw them.Employees and spouses have always participated except for this year and it was only employees. Also this year they didn't do the gifts,just the envelopes on the tree.I guess they cut back some because they just bought another bank and did some remodeling on it.Anyway,this year DH got an envelope with $5. in it,plus a bonus of a months wages.He also received a really nice watch because he is retiring the end of this year.That was a total surprise that he wasn't expecting but for which he was very grateful.We never depended on bonuses.

• grammahony
    16 years ago

Lillie, I've been thinking the same thing all through this thread, just never said anything. Gramma always said "Never count your chickens before they hatch." Also "Don't put all your eggs in one basket." There is a 600 + acre family farm left to her heirs now because of her.

She was a wise woman.
    Leslie

• evatx
    16 years ago

I had a great Christmas! DH gave me a GSP system for my car which I absolutely love - now as long as I know where I'm going,I won't have any trouble getting there. *L*

Got to spend Christmas Eve with DS, his new wife and children and got grandchildren-made gifts plus beautiful "Mother" plate. Also lots of other goodies from them - DGD said "Grandma must have been really good."

Christmas Day was with DD, her family and her in-laws. More special gifts from grandchildren and engraved letter opener, gift certificates, Elvis collectibles, dishes + lots more great things.

I got to talk on the phone to several special friends in Houston that I seldom see and it was fun catching up. DH came home yesterday with DGS, and DD, DGD and I just got back tonight. They'll be with us till New Year's, so we'll be having fun. We were together several days, but didn't really have time to visit much, so we're looking forward to the next few days here just being together.

• lilliepad
    16 years ago

I'm wondering why SamKaren hasn't been back in to answer the question whether or not she gifted all 30 of those people(or even any of the 7 that "remembered" her) in her office.Personally I don't see how anyone could afford to buy 30 gifts and if I didn't buy gifts for them I surely shouldn't expect them to buy for me just because I worked for/with them!
    Don't be embarrassed SamKaren we all do foolish things sometimes!

• wantoretire_did
    16 years ago

Had a surprise visit from DS and spent time just visiting and having a good time. He and friends who are wonderful cooks had spent a weekend baking poppyseed and several other holiday long rolls (breads?) and brought us some. So delicious. He made my day.

Vannie - Just curious - Where is DW?

"DD#1 gave us a voucher for a trip to anyplace in North America. What a decision! They're going to DW in Feb. and DH and I haven't been there in years, so we may just go w/ them."

• kathy813
    16 years ago

Just a guess but my boss gets free gift cards all through the year from our telephone company because we are such good customers(meaning our phone bill is outrageous). Maybe he is passing them on(re-gifting).

• monica_pa Grieves
    16 years ago

DW is DisneyWorld, in Fla.
    We're going the end of February.

• mcmann
    16 years ago

Silly me - I didn't know what DW was either!

All 5 of us agree that this was one of the best holidays. No one had to work on Christmas, everyone was pleased with their gifts - both those given and received. The kids got extra cash in their stockings to help with their expenses. My husband gave me jewelry and a beautiful leather purse - he even realized that I tend to buy the same style and found one that was similar. My children gave me a garden gnome - I've always liked them and now they're easy to find and a weather station for the kitchen with an atomic clock and a remote sensor to record outside temperature.

As for gifting at work - that's a hard one. My son works for a bank and his small department of 12 had a weird Pollyana/dirty Santa arrangement. You were supposed to give something from home that was new but that you didn't need. He bought a smoothie blender to give and came home with a silverplate candlelabra. It's inexpensive but I think it's going to become one of our annual holiday traditions - fire up the candelabra!!!

• pris
    16 years ago

Colleenoz, Monica's explanation is right on. They received $200 in gas cards and $100 in Visa. They could only utilize the Visa card for their kids Christmas. The other side of the story is, with the price of gas today, those cards are actually worth much less than they would have been two or three years ago.

Lilliepad, I believe I said that I was of mixed emotions regarding the practice of relying on the bonus for part of their Christmas, but, you have to understand, these men have large families to support and while we pay well above minimum wage, it is still not enough to cover all their expenses. Most of them do not opt for carrying the company's group medical plan and the company pays better than 50% of the total cost (75% of employee and 50% plus if they sign the family up. They have discovered they can go to the County clinic for free and not have to pay anything.

Don't get me wrong. Not one of them actually complained. They are grateful for anything they get. It just put them in a bind and they were not expecting that. Had they known ahead of time maybe they could have planned for it but they got the bonus on 12/20 so planning was out of the question.

• ruthieg__tx
    16 years ago

Ha ha I have been wracking my brain trying to figure out what country or state she could have been talking about too when she said DW....

• mimi_boo
    16 years ago

I've been watching and reading this post all along, but will finally post my thoughts.

I think a lot of the responders have criticized SamKaren for posting her thoughts. I have read her message differently. As a secretary for a large number of people, I feel she expected to recognized in some way around the holidays. To be forgotten entirely by one department and to have received the token "mug" from another - she felt unappreciated.

Can we give SamKaren a little compassion for having her own feelings?

Just my 2 cents.
    Barbara

• monica_pa Grieves
    16 years ago

I think the days of thinking of secretaries as poorly paid underlings, who expect gifts/tips in recognition of their servitude, are long over.

• mrsmarv
    16 years ago

Secretary here...I'm a civil servant and work for our local school district. Granted, we don't get paid as much as secretaries in the private sector do, but we have waaaay more benefits than secretaries in private industry do. If you're in a union, you get 12 sick days per year (accruable from year to year), 2 personal days, snow days if the district is closed, a 35-hour work week, no working on evenings/nights, weekends, or holidays. I just took a promotion to Administrative Assistant, which increased my salary by $7,000 per year. I now work 40 hours a week instead of 35. It also includes unlimited sick and personal days besides all the above perks. So even though my base salary is nothing to write home about, I consider myself to be better off than most secretaries when you look at the whole package.

• sjarz
    16 years ago

Personally I think the $100 gift card was really nice and in my opinion would have been enough of a gift from the work place - my boss gave me $150 and I was very happy to receive it.
    It is sad that so many people tend to be unhappy with what they receive, I guess that's why stores are so crazy with returns on boxing day. I noticed here a few stores posted notices that they will not be handling returns on Boxing Day, which frees them up to serve people actually buying stuff...
    I had a good and very busy Christmas, but I must confess I was a bit disappointed in my main gift - it's nice, it's comfortable, I'm not trying to be ungrateful, I got a new computer chair that has the gas in it so you can zip it up or down to suit your mood. As I say, it's nice and comfortable, I just wasn't aware that I needed a new computer chair, so it wasn't that exciting. My dear brother bought it for me and was very excited that he found one with the gas gizmo, so I was happy about it for his benefit.
    My daughter got me a lovely necklace I had hinted about with a floating heart with Mom inscribed on it and my birthstones around the edges. Really like that.
    So much chocolate I'm going to put some in my office so the tenants can help themselves to it...lovely candles and a neat snowman candle holder, great Sylvia Browne Books, an excellent caddy for all my tools, $200 cash from my StepMom to share with my daughter, a lovely crystal angel, and a plethora of stocking stuffers.
    I did well, and everyone seemed very happy with the gifts I got them, so that was great. The jeans I got my daughter had a broken zipper, so they'll have to go back, but the top I got her to go with them was a hit! She said last night she was thrilled with everything she got, so I was happy to hear that.
    One of the things I got my brother was a framed print of the house we lived in as kids - took the picture last summer when I was there visiting, blew it up and framed it - he really liked that too and looked at that picture for quite a long time.
    It was a good time, ate waaaay too much, and as I sit here in my fancy new computer chair, going up and down (LOL) I am glad it's all said and done and life can return to normal.
    Suzan J

• jenni_ca
    16 years ago

I kinda doubt that anyone's replies here were meant as criticism, just merely comments.
    SamKaren had posted this same sort of note last Christmas and on Secretaries day.
    To me it was as if she is complaining because, as she said, 'Of the 30 only 7 remembered me this year'
    I would certainly hope that she didn't expect to get a gift from every one of those 30 people.
    She knows from the past that not everyone in those 4 departments gives her gifts.
    And she has not come back to tell us if she bought a gift for each of those 30 people.
    I don't think anyone in any workplace should expect anything from other employees.
    And they definitely should not count on it.
    Gifts are given because the giver gets pleasure in the giving and wants to give.

• colleenoz
    16 years ago

Pris, "The other side of the story is, with the price of gas today, those cards are actually worth much less than they would have been two or three years ago." I think your logic is a little flawed. True, the $200 gas cards today will buy less gas than two or three years ago, but $200 cash would buy less gas and less anything now than two or three years ago. And if the gas card users put the same amount of cash away each time they buy gas, money they didn't need to spend due to having a gas card, they will eventually have $200 to spend on a late "Christmas" if they like, or put it away for next Christmas.

• lilliepad
    16 years ago

Pris-that's exactly what I mean by "Don't count your chickens until they hatch!" I feel for these people because we have basically been in their shoes for more than 40 years so you're preaching to the choir here! We were living below poverty level then and still are! LOL We raised our family of 4 kids on minimum wage (about $3.75 back then) and I can't remember a year when they didn't have most of what they asked for for Christmas! Why,because we planned for it ahead of time,sometimes a year ahead by making the after Christmas sales.Sometimes we got a bonus,sometimes we didn't but we never "counted" on a bonus to buy Christmas for our kids! If we got a bonus that was just icing on the cake.Extra money that we could spend on something we hadn't planned on. I don't think bonuses have anything to do with whether or not those families can afford medical insurance or anything else.We never had medical insurance and even though DH has had it for the last 11 years with his job,we still couldn't afford it for me.At least the families you are talking about can get free medical services! We couldn't even get that because we made just enough money to disqualify us for any kind of aid.So what I am saying is nobody should depend on bonuses for Christmas gifts for their families,and I still say what they got was pretty darn good!

• nancylouise5me
    16 years ago

We had a great Christmas! We (Wayne, I and the kids) opened our gifts on Christmas morning. Had breakfast then packed up the van and took off to my mum's house in Mass., a couple of hours drive. We had dinner at my sister's house and most of the family was there. We are a large family so every one brought something to eat and help with dinner. We just buy for the nieces and nephews now. Mostly gift cards for the older ones, toys and clothes for the young. Makes it very easy. We visited with every one and had a great time. Played a new dice game I hadn't seen before. LCR or something like that. Left, Right, Center. We played with dollars. My youngest won $24! Enough to pay for gas for the ride home! Just kiddin' she gets to keep it. We stayed over night at mum's house and next day we stopped at Wayne's brother's for a visit. I love visiting family. We don't get to see enough of them. We are actually a family that gets along. No one fusses or is mean to one another during the holidays. We truly love one another.
    As for gifts I made out very well. I can't complain about any of them.
    I recieved a gps system for my maxima. My family says I get lost in the parking lot at the mall. So this should help me find my way out! lol
    The suede coat I had my heart set on.
    A pair of suede boots.
    The set of GodFather dvd's. I love these movies and Al Pacino. He is the greatest.
    6 pair of men's socks...My husband is tired of not having any clean socks to wear because I always wear his!
    For my big present we went away earlier in November for a romantic weekend to The Mt. Washington Hotel at Brenton Woods, NH. Got there just before a snow storm. Very nice.
    My daughters gave me 2 phone charms that they had to put on for me.
    Gifts of body cremes and washes and colognes from Bath and Body Works.
    Chocolates and candy.
    A nice warm fleece throw for when I'm on the sofa.
    I must admit I do love getting gifts. I also give as good as I get.
    At work we mostly exchanged baked goods. Working at a cooking store were many of the employees are very good cooks what else would you expect!!lol

Being a former secretary were there was just the office manager(female) and I taking care of 12 reps and all their underlings we were never forgotten for any holiday. Christmas, valentines day, or Secretary's day. Both of us always were remembered by gifts or taken out to lunch. So I can see SamKaren's point of just wanting to be appreciated by the people you take care of. It's nice to know the people you work for think about you. NancyLouise

• Lindsey_CA
    16 years ago

Having been a secretary in a former life long, long ago, I can also relate to SamKaren's viewpoint of wanting to be recognized and appreciated. Having said that, however, I can also see how many of the 30 folks might feel that although she is the unit secretary, she doesn't do anything directly for them -- they do their own typing, photocopying, filing, etc., so why should they "support" a secretary who isn't their secretary?

Yes, everyone is entitled to their own feelings, but sometimes those feelings aren't necessarily realistic or reasonable.

And I'm also thinking that the coffee mug gifiting has become a bit of a "standing joke" sort of thing -- it's tradition to give her a coffee mug...

• stephmc72
    16 years ago

I'm sorry but if the expectation of a gift at Christmas is because she wants to feel appreciated for her work, she's got the wrong holiday. Secretaries Day (now called Administrative Professionals Day) is April 28.

• daveinla
    16 years ago

I contacted the head of our radio station and asked him if he was interested in buying some of the duplicate CD's from my collection for the station.

you bought duplicate cd's OR you were sent promo copies as an employee of the campus radio station? People just don't ordinarily buy duplicates AND if they were gotten through your job, do they not belong to the station?

sorry, I just see a lot of selfishness.
    And that's only an opinionated observation, NOT an accusation

• lilliepad
    16 years ago

Daveinla-I think she is the DJ for the campus radio station,not sure about that but I do know she is a DJ.Possibly the CD's are from interviews she has done for her radio program.I would think they would be the property of the station but then again,what do I know! LOL
    SamKaren-Personally,I'm not beating you up and I'm sure nobody else here is either.Just trying to figure out why you would be so disappointed with the gifts you got,and you have to realize from the way you worded your post it sounds as if the gifts are what you are all about.So here's a hug (sincerely) to make you feel better.((((SamKaren))))

• LorifromUtah
    16 years ago

Whenever I feel unappreciated at work I remind myself I get paid, every two weeks, on time. AND the checks are good.
    That is all I am ENTITLED to receive from my boss.
    The only thing(s) my boss OWES me is the agreed upon wage, meticulous witholdings and to be paid on time. That is all.
    I have a hard time with co-workers who expect more than this.

I'm just happy to have a job.
    Whether I like it or not is irrelevent, at Christmas Time, Secretary's Day or otherwise.

I also have a problem with those who give only to get in return. If you can't GIVE a gift freely, don't give it at all. It's an insult to the recipients.

As far are your collection of cds Karen, I would imagine any radio station has access to any songs you may have recorded.
    If you really need/want something in return, DONATE the cds to the radio station and take it as a tax deduction. The deduction will be worth much more than the cds. Be honest. They aren't worth more than the cd they are burned on and a cd costs what? fifty cents? .75?

If Karen feels beat up it is her problem.
    Those of us who have been here for years have heard about her sadness and disappointment in what she does not receive many many times. (Coffee cups seems to be her pet peeve. Give them away or donate to a thrift store if you don't like them!)
    Mild and kind suggestions seem to go unheard. Perhaps stronger advice will make an impression so she will stop expecting so much from her co-workers, stop setting herself for disappointment and ultimately find more happiness and peace within herself.
    Lori

• LorifromUtah
    16 years ago

Oh!

It was an iPod kind of year at our house!
    The kids each got the newest generation in addition to monster for their vehicles and players for their rooms.
    Me I got a FIFTY DOLLAR iTUNE gift certificate (YIPPEE! The first thing I downloaded was the sound track from the new Chipmunk movie,,,) and some very nice clothes and good smelling stuff. Hubby got me a new pair of silver (Garcia!) spurs and insists I WILL WEAR THEM instead of displaying them in the house. He got a new, badly needed saddle. He has a very nice cowboy-ride-rough-horses kind of saddle but it's very heavy. His shoulders are giving out (riding bucking horses for twenty five years didn't help much) and it hurts him to throw this saddle on a horse. Since I don't want that shoulder to go then spend the rest of my life saddling his horses and opening/closing all gates, he got a newer, better, lighter saddle. I also got a beautiful pair of turqoise/siver earrings I just love! We spent three great days with family: Sunday, Monday evening and Tuesday with family so it was wonderful.

Lori

• Alice_sj
    16 years ago

Funny the ass-u-me-ing that so many people are doing, the unsolicited advice that is flying, and not "skipping on by" that so many are quick to suggest to others, but not do themselves. Interesting that we hear a lot of the same old stories for so many people, and yet so many people jump at the chance to make a big deal here. Where is the support for a fellow KTer, the SOB, or the say nothing if you can't say something nice?

SamKaren, it sounds like you got some nice things and some not so great. I hope your holidays with your loved ones was special for you all.

I got some great gifts and some not so great. The best time with family and friends.

• LorifromUtah
    16 years ago

Interesting that we hear a lot of the same old stories for so many people, and yet so many people jump at the chance to make a big deal here.

Well, hello asj.
    Thanks for dropping in.

Care to elaborate on the above statement?

Lori

• jazzie
    16 years ago

I got my Mothers ashes in time to have her home for the holidays..

To me that meant everything...

• jen_tx
    16 years ago

Ahhhh, Hi Alice. Haven't seen you in a while. Yes, we tell people to just SOB but when you've read the same post for years, we have a tendency to want to reach out and slap some sense into a fellow KTer.

How hard is it to be grateful for the little things? (and I'm not saying $100 is a little thing). But evidently SamKaren has been there 13 years....she shouldn't expect anything more. I'm sorry she's unhappy with her Christmas gifts or rather, the lack of appreciation she feels from the departments. And since I'm not there to observe their working relationship, I'll just say this: I've been in secretarial jobs before and I certainly didn't receive or expect gifts from everyone in the department.

Some people's glass will always be half empty or even cracked. We can continue to fill it for them over and over or help them fix their glass. Sometimes "handholding" just doesn't help. I do wonder if her unhappiness is apparent in her relationship with her co-workers? If she's truly that unhappy, perhaps she should look for a job where she will feel more appreciated.

Me? I have two sons in college with the next semesters tuition due soon so my DH and I didn't exchange gifts. It was a quiet Christmas with friends and family. With the cost of everyday living rising with no end in sight, I think a lot of people are trimming their gift giving budget. I don't base how good my Christmas was on what I received. It makes me sad that year after year, SamKaren feels jilted by her co-workers. That's not what Christmas is about.

• jenni_ca
    16 years ago

Now, now Lori, surely you don't really expect alice to answer you do you?
    She posted her little snippy comments and went away. For her to come back and answer you would just not be her 'MO'
    Has anyone ever seen her post a Happy Birthday, or I'll send good thoughts or I'll say a prayer for you?
    Don't think so....she runs in, posts a smart remark and leaves.
    But then I guess that's not such a bad thing! LOL

• Kathsgrdn
    16 years ago

I agree Jenni, I see her and another non-frequent poster who comes in, makes some rude comment and leaves.

I'm wondering if SamKaren will come back and post to this thread. Not sure if she meant to sound so ungrateful or not, but everytime she posts something like this, that's exactly how it sounds.

• cathyid
    16 years ago

I haven't been here much recently either, but I wanted to add a different take on something that has not been brought up. In this day and age of being PC, many places do NOT allow for any gift exchanges. If it is a male boss, and female employee or the other way around, it can been seen as sexual harassment. Someone expecting favors, in exchange for gifts.Pity the poor soul that has to buy a gift for every employee! How could many people do that? Hard to give anything less than $50, and you multiply that by Sam Karens numbers of 30, and you have a hefty chunk of change involved. Our department before we retired, adopted a family every year, and they were more needy and were so thankful to have a little help. I would think that would be a better solution to office gifts for others as well.

• lilliepad
    16 years ago

(((((jazzie))))))

• daveinla
    16 years ago

actually some of the peeps here are speaking their mind and not crouching in corners or sitting on their hands......like they used to.

Pretty much the same response has been given to SamKaren in years past when she posted a similar attitude about not being happy with gift givers around her.

IMMVHO