SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stephanie_in_ga

Need advice, expressing sympathy

stephanie_in_ga
15 years ago

I just need to think outloud here a minute.

The situation: My neighbors on this cul-de-sac were expecting their 5th child in March. Unfortunately, there were a lot of complications, one after another the last few weeks (including 2 ambulance trips!), and the baby was born last Friday weighing 1 lb, he fought for a few days, but he did not survive. Their other kids are from 9 to 18. I do not know them well yet, they moved in a few months ago. Plus, the last few weeks we just haven't seen much of any of the family out and about, understandably. Their oldest did tell my oldest the day the baby was born that he had been born and weight. But I had not seen anyone in the family for days, kids weren't at school even. So I asked another neighbor if she had heard anything from them, that's when I got the sad news. There will be a family service tomorrow.

I want to do something, make a gesture, express our sympathy. What are your opinions on the best way to do this? I have reason to believe that money is an issue for them right now. I thought about talking to my other neighbors, if there is interest in just giving them a little money from each family that would add up. Or do you think it would be too awkward to have your neighbors giving you a little money? (I'm thinking it would be around $200 if I just approach the 5-6 families on our street- I don't know what everyone's circumstances are right now.) I have to do something, the grief and stress the whole family must be feeling, and just before Christmas... I just want them to know we care what they are going through. But since I am not close to them, just neighborly, I don't want to push myself on them right now.

Comments (20)