SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
olychick2

Writing sympathy notes

Olychick
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

How do you handle addressing sympathy cards when, for example, someone's mother dies? Your friend has been married for many years and her husband had a good relationship with his mother-in-law (the woman who died). I find it awkward to write "Dear Sue and Tom" in this situation, because Sue is the one whose mother has died. So I can't write, when it's addressed to both of them, "I'm so sorry to hear of your mother's death," because she was not HIS mother.

It seems equally awkward to address it just to her and not acknowledge him, as he surely is feeling some grief as well. Sometimes I address to her and express my sorrow about her mother, then in another line say something like, "Tom, Marjorie was very lucky to have had such a wonderful relationship with you. I know you will miss her, too.

Then there are the kids, who've lost their grandmother and they should be acknowledged, too. If I know someone very well, it doesn't seem right to just write the greeting as, To the Smith Family...because then the same dilemma, her mother, his MIL, their G'ma.

I'm old enough I should have this figured out by now, but I struggle every time. How do you handle it?

Comments (20)