SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanka_gw

This is a cry for help, or sympathy I guess. (pic)

susanka
13 years ago

I don't even have enough energy left to put an exclamation point behind the title.

You all advised me as best you could about my kitchen backsplash. Some of you suggested something really quiet for the BS, but DH just can't abide subway tile, and I went with the tile on the right in the pic. It looks absolutely crazy. My BIL did a very bad job installing it, and of course the patterns are way too much competition with the highly grained oak cabs. BIL didn't even finish it, we had the wrong grout and he got the glass in wrong so he wasn't sure how to proceed. A very nice guy who's done tile before, and he and my sis need the money, but I should never have asked him to do it.

To add to the bedlam, our deck fell off our house last week as the patio under it was being redone; the builder had it temporarily shored up because the posts were being replaced, and the whole thing fell down, making it obvious that he hadn't done the temporary supports right or the initial build, it's way below what's required. So we have the building inspector here, a really upset builder, chunks of concrete all over the back yard, the deck in pieces on the sides of the house, and now this absolutely crazy-making backsplash. Poor DH hasn't seen what it looks like today, went to work while it wasn't this far along. He doesn't cry, but this might be the thing that makes him do it. It's him I feel bad for; he worked so hard pulling off the old backsplash I had put in three years ago.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (128)

• rookie_2010
    13 years ago

Have you been daydreaming about knocking the builder's head and the inspector's head together lately???
    You're right about the range area. And as fun as it is to "fancy" things up, with natural stone with natural interest, simple is usually best after all.

• plllog
    13 years ago

LOL!!! I love the idea of the hippo. Not good for the hippo, or the people in the way, but maybe an animatronic one like on Jungle Cruise...

It's three lowercase "L"'s, but no worries. I would have chosen something easier and more meaningful if I knew I was signing up for more than a question about a range.

My pondscape counters and I are in Southern California, in an area where "Storybook" is an actual house style like "Cape Cod" or "Federal". (Not mine, though. It's kind of New Orleans crossed with Frenchish box.)

OH! The rain!!! How awful!!! Like you needed one more straw!!!!!!! I hope it's been a good book, and a good rest, and an easy cure for the rain, at least.

• Related Discussions

I Think I'm Done Crying Now-

Q

Comments (13)
    Thanks Ryan (NOL) & Brenda. The biggest part of the deceased weren't cuttings, they were full grown plants (sob!). Of the cuttings that I kept inside, I only lost a few due to missing watering a couple in the back & the ones that the cats knocked off that rolled under the table. I had a container of tall cuttings on the porch that actually had the bottoms frozen in a couple inches of ice (electric off). One just barely made it but was mushy & unhealthy looking so I trashed it. I lost all but the biggest plants there. I have threatened to just bring them all inside & put up lights in every room in the house next fall. We will all happily bask in artificial sun all winter (with the aphids & mites) LOL. Linda
    ...See More

I'm new, want some sympathy ...

Q

Comments (4)
    I can't tell you how wonderful it was to come in and see ... someone here responded kindly, and helpfully. I went home yesterday and thought "Oh, man, I'm such a b**ch, those people don't deserve that, I shouldn't have sent that, I'll have to apologize". So, I'm sorry if I started out on the wrong foot here, or if my rant upset, offended, annoyed, or whatever anyone. I will look for the "Before and After" cream. I don't remember ever seeing it, but if it helps with this rising resentment, anger, irritation, b**chiness, it'll be worth its weight in gold! Thank you so much. Gigi P.S. - actually, jails don't have any climate controls here in California (I know someone in one). Sometimes, they get fans, but air conditioning and the like are just right out.
    ...See More

Need ID help houseplant/sympathy plant, variegated leaves, Baton Rouge

Q

Comments (4)
    now that you have the latin name.. use it.. it should make searching much more rewarding ... and then try the houseplant forum ... just looking at it.. it looks like it is the type of plant that would root in a glass of water.. but that is a guess ... add the word 'propagation' to the latin name .. and away you go ... ken
    ...See More

I’m curious about sympathy cards

Q

Comments (23)
    It is interesting to hear all the nuances around this subject. Growing up in a military family oddly enough funerals were not in my experience. Deceased soldiers are sent home. Relatives are far far away. What I have experienced in adulthood is everyone brings a card either to the viewing or the funeral, not both even if attending both. If not attending; sympathy cards are mailed. Money is COMMONLY enclosed in these cards. It doesn't matter what the obituary suggested people will do what is EASIEST and that is enclosing the memorial donation with the sympathy card. This leaves the family free to do with it what works FOR THEM. To expect people to send two cards one for the family one to the church is very unusual in my experience. Perhaps life isn't as formal here? I have never thought about the idea of sending multiple cards to family members. I think one card addressed to all is sufficient but of course sending a separate more personal card to a family member you are very close to would never be wrong. Immediate family of some configuration typically gather and go through all the cards for thanking purposes so all see the main card. Gifts are noted and decisions on distribution are made at this time. Not all families have money for the funeral which are INSANELY expensive. I find to give w/o direction as to where the money will go seems easiest for the family to deal with. The reality of what to do with all the cards/guest book/extras is something to think about when sending these cards. When my in-laws died we distributed boxes and boxes of family photos/slides to each sibling to condense/put on DVD/redistribute. No one has followed through and I for one would love to DUMP the box we have. I don't know who got the joy of being the keeper of the sympathy cards etc...but I am guessing they are taking up space better used for anything else. Again 20 years of military life-keeping things--just to move them across country every two years-- is just not in my wheel house.
    ...See More
  • susanka
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi, plllog. I lived in the San Diego area for about 25 years.

No, I emailed the builder who's going to do the tile (and whom, it's turned out, has done impeccable work for three families on this block)and he's responded that it's huge, since it's been going on for some time apparently. Tearing out stucco, mold inside the walls, etc. One problem is that we can't decide how to proceed. Don't want to jump the gun and get a lawyer if the builder will make the repairs responsibly. We'll see.

Back to the backsplash! Did you dream up your counter and backsplash by yourself? It just makes me smile, and that's a great thing for a backsplash to be able to do.

• plllog
    13 years ago

Well, I agree about getting as much as you can out of the builder without alienating him, but considering all that was done improperly, are you sure you want to let him touch your house? Perhaps it would be better to have a sweetie sweetie talk with him, and without laying blame (I mean, the fallen down deck speaks for itself) try to negotiate a settlement from him. Tell him you don't want to take him to court and give so much from both sides to the lawyers when you two can come to an agreement yourselves. And know that a good lawyer, while worth her/his hire, is probably going to cost at least low five figures. I'm assuming all the damage is well beyond small claims level.

The backsplash happened when I was walking around the tile store with my bamboo sample and it loooked so amazing with the pale green/cream stencil tile. I really had been thinking more modern than dreamy romantic, but I loved every tile the artisan made (it's Architerra-NW). And I fell in love with the frogs. And decided it could be a pond. These crazy notions just evolve. :)

• susanka
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I agree on the talk, but I think he really doesn't have any money. Has a huge (8000sf) house, but not much else I don't think. I'm not the type to consult a lawyer first thing I do. I agree DH and I have to have a pleasant-as-we-can talk with him, but unfortunately I don't know what the alternatives are if he doesn't want to cooperate. Anyway, that's a post for a legal forum someplace I guess, just so we know what our possibilities are. The new guy who's doing the tile was kind enough to diagnose the problem and email me details about what the code is and what should have been done, so that was a help.

Well, I love your pond. I'll look up the site you mention just for a fun time. Thanks very much, plllog.

• susanka
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh my gosh. It's a good thing I didn't know about this tile source when we first built the house, plllog. I had no idea, guess I've been living out in the sticks too long.

I just remembered that one of the people on my nonprofit board is a retired lawyer. I'll ask him about the house, what a brainstorm.

• plllog
    13 years ago

LOL!! Yeah, it's really easy to be happy enough with what's available if that's all that's available, huh? I won't go into the details of the nightmare of getting the color as it was in the samples for the color around the sun, and the cream. In the end, the latter came out too dark, and some of the former was right and some wasn't, but at least they were finally within what one could arguably call within the normal variation of handmade. Many many months of delay and many many tears went into that. They got the color perfect on one run but the bisque was twisted and they were uninstallable. Plus the first runs of the petals (not on the tour) and the V-cap were sprayed too much and looked dirty and moldy. I LOVE the tile, it's exceptionally high quality in both the bisque and the glaze, but artisan work is artisan work, and sometimes they'll ship something that didn't turn out well in case you won't notice or something. So don't repine!! You've had enough to worry about without that.

If you think the builder is broke and judgment proof try filing in small claims and getting him on one of the Judge shows. I think they pay the judgments as an inducement to get people to come on the shows. You're probably out a lot more than your small claims limit, but it would be something.

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

have you checked the local bldg dept to see what inspections were done?

• susanka
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Or maybe HGTV's "Holmes on Homes". Our doorbell also rings occasionally if we touch a wall and get a low-humidity shock, or when we close the bathroom down downstairs. We told him about that a few days ago also; his answer was there's dirt in the doorbell. DH is stopping by the insurance company on the way home from work to see what they say our homeowners' will cover.

Hey, maybe I can convince our guests that this backsplash was done by an "artisan"!

• susanka
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here's my test board of diamonds. I like this. I think part of my problem with the messed-up backsplash is that the squares seem too static to me.

I tried to incorporated plllog's technique of having the colors connect and flow. I think I need to switch the central bottom yellow one with the grayer one on the end of that diagonal row. Not sure if I have the idea or not; please critique if you'd like to. Thanks very much. Tearout is next Tuesday, tile goes in Wednesday.

• susanka
    Original Author
    13 years ago

desertsteph, I missed your note. Haven't checked with the bldg dept yet on the window thing, am checking to see what the window manufacturer says about whether the window is self-flashed or not and what the specs are. Also I've called a realtor we bought the land through who's kind of a friend, and he has the 2005 building code he says which is what was in effect when the house was built in 2007.

Do you like these diamonds?

• plllog
    13 years ago

I like 'em! You did a great job on getting the colors to flow. They don't look patchy at all! Do try to sneak in a few of the darker ones for interest, unless you just don't like them.

I think the diamonds would look fab!

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

I think you should apply for Holmes to come fix your house!

does your state have a registrar of contractors agency? check for one and call to see what ideas they might have...
    he is a licensed contractor - right?

I do think the diagonals are going to be much, much better! It sounds like you like them much better also.

• susanka
    Original Author
    13 years ago

plllog and desertsteph, I think I've got what I want at last. I'm going to lay everything out on diagonals for the new tile guy, and call it good.

I looked at your kitchen again this morning, plllog, just to get an early-morning feel-good moment. Many thanks for giving me the how-to on laying out tile. I think I have enough of an idea to prevent much of the patchwork-quilt look.

desertsteph, he is a licensed contractor. I think Holmes will be my last choice, I don't want to ruin this man in our tiny town, but I certainly intend to inform myself, say what has to be done, and do my best to make it happen. I should have some good and usable info today.

Thanks again to everyone. I'll post photos after our new contractor has the tiles in. Then it will be on to choosing a few accessories for the counter, probably sometime in September.

• peytonroad
    13 years ago

I know that home depot or lowes has rust/bronze colored 4 by 4's, did you consider putting a few of them in? It would add some interest to the stone. Not to many, I would say maybe every 2 feet about 2 diamonds up above the countertop.

• susanka
    Original Author
    13 years ago

peytonroad, I'm just too freaked out by all that's going on to even think about putting any other special touches in this BS, and I plain don't have time with all the things I have to get done before my surgery.

Both you and dianelouise have suggested bronze, and when I went to Lowe's for the last try-outs I brought home some bronze trim that would fit in where the glass is. That particular trim didn't look right, but I was surprised to see how well bronze goes with this trav. How do you guys know things like this? I would never have thought of bronze. You sure have a talent I don't have.

My current plan is to find some bronze in accessories which will look great with the tile, but that's another story for another time. Thanks so much for all your help.

• marcy96
    13 years ago

I love the diamond design. I think it breaks up all the straight lines of your cabinets and counters and adds some visual interest to your kitchen. Good luck! Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

• susanka
    Original Author
    13 years ago

me too, marcy. Nothing fancy, but much better I think. Thank you very much.

BTW, have you seen plllog's backsplash tour? It's amazing, and gorgeous.

• marytwit
    13 years ago

Susanka,

In addition to all your other proposed changes, I think the far wall looks significantly better with the valance removed. Things seem so much calmer in the post-valance photo, without the interruption of that green/gray/black color mass.

To go off-topic with some unsolicited advice: As someone who's gone through two TKRs in the last decade (different knees) I can tell you that you're going to be extremely happy after it's done. Well, not RIGHT after --;) -- but in all the months that follow. It will give you back your life.

Your view is so soothing. If you can, put a comfy chair (or bed) in a spot that lets you rehab in view of the mountain.

Try to keep ice on your knee, front and back, as much as you can. (For my second surgery I actually made a velcroed wrapper with pockets to hold the packs in place). Keep your computer handy. Do all your exercises faithfully. Think about how great it's going to be when you can move around with no more pain.

And if you want support before or after surgery, don't hesitate to email me.

I also found that the forum linked below is really useful. They'll try to answer every question that comes up pre and post surgery. I joined it before my first surgery, and they basically were my GW for TKRs. Like GW, there were some good souls on the forum who made a huge difference in how I managed my recovery.

Cheers, and congrats on getting this backsplash problem sorted out so well despite the looming surgery!

Marytw

Here is a link that might be useful: On Our Feet forum

• susanka
    Original Author
    13 years ago

marytw, speaking of kind souls....your post really touched me. What a generous spirit you are. We have a view of this mountain from every rear window, including the bedroom, LR, DR, and shower, so I am very fortunate.

I've had a lot of major surgeries in my life and have generally sailed through them all. This one has me feeling apprehensive, for some reason. I'm very confident about my doc though and have good DH support and friends, so I'm hoping I'll do fine with this one too.

I will certainly go to the onourfeet forum as soon as I have a minute. I'm a person who likes a lot of information, and I'm sure it will help me immensely.

I started a volunteer nonprofit a year and a half ago, a tiny little thing with a few friends, and it's grown to almost 100 people doing 27 projects in three counties, so I've got a lot to get in order before my surgery. I'll have everything ready for my absence by Monday next week and think I'll feel much better when that's done. I won't wait until then though to get to the forum you linked, and you are very likely to get an email while I'm recuperating.

Again, thank you so much for your generosity. Now we've really stolen this backsplash thread, haven't we?

And speaking of the backsplash, I'll try it again without the valance once it's in. I'm not a big valance or window-treatment fan, just thought the kitchen looked a little stark without it.

• beachlily z9a
    13 years ago

For keeping your knee cold, please consider reusable cold packs. We have two that are 11.5" tall and 14" wide and about 1/4" thick. Very flexible. In fact, they may make them bigger. I keep one in the freezer at all times. They are big enough to thoroughly chill large body areas and they last.

You've done well with the diamond design! When that is done,take a deep breath and relax. You will love your repaired knee. Good luck!

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

"My current plan is to find some bronze in accessories which will look great with the tile,"

this is a super good idea!! maybe you can do some online searching while recouping... for a new valance also. unless you sew, then you could choose fabric to go with new kitchen and make one. very easy to do.

please keep us posted here on your surgery and recouping...
    take a look at K30123 on the qvc website. Ice sheets - you can cut them into strips and freeze then wrap around your knee - about 20.00 for the pk of them. I'm getting some to use around my dogs' neck...

maybe i need this knee surgery. my knees hurt like H when I try to stoop down or sit down low (outside steps) and try to get up from there.

• beachpea3
    13 years ago

The diamonds in your color gradations look great!! Go for it! With your backsplash resolved, you can just concentrate on getting organized for your knee surgery.
    Best wishes from Beachpea, Fred & Ginger!

• susanka
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You guys, thank you.

Susan

• marytwit
    13 years ago

susanka,

I would love to hear from you re the knees. My husband, his sister and I have six new knees between us, and we stand ready to serve. (and walk, and hike, and bike, and do yoga -- though my child's pose leaves something to be desired.)

Mary

• susanka
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, I've lost control of this darned backsplash again. The new tile guy says he doesn't want to cut all diamonds, some pieces will be too small with the space we have to work with, so we're going to have an inch border on the top and bottom with diamonds in between. I also tried to lay out the diamonds as you suggested, plllog, with some movement across the BS and flowing one into the other, but I pulled a muscle in my bad leg and am in bed so that's not happening either. I'm too stressed by all that's going on around here to do anything about it at this point; this guy is supposed to be very good, the new tile looks fine to me as it comes from the box (maybe a little too pink), and here we go. He hopes to have it finished tonight. If so, I'll post photos.

• segbrown
    13 years ago

Re knee surgery, get a Cryo Cuff for post-op icing. They rock.

Here's hoping *everything* turns out great; sorry for all teh stress, I can't even imagine.

• susanka
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I just looked it up, segbrown, and will tell my doc that's been recommended when I see him just before surgery. Thanks for reading all this, it's a long story. If DH had been under the deck when it fell I'd be telling a much worse story; this is just "stuff" and a bum knee, it will all work out one way or the other I'm sure.

• segbrown
    13 years ago

I don't know where in CO you are, but there is a used knee machine for sale in Highlands Ranch on CL for $40, and it's the older style I've used before (which looks a bit easier to use than the wrap style).

http://denver.craigslist.org/hab/1817649084.html

Here is a link that might be useful: craigslist cryotherapy machine

• susanka
    Original Author
    13 years ago

segbrown, you're so kind, thank you! We're in the Greenhorn Valley, only about 70 miles from New Mexico. I'll not make it up there before surgery, but the rehab nurse is going to call me today and I'll see what she says so I don't have to wait to see the doc.

• susanka
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi again, everyone. Here are two photos of my new (third) backsplash. I'm very happy with it. I didn't get quite enough of the grayish veiny tiles in there, but that's okay, the BS looks 100% better to me than the previous ones. The contractor who installed it did a great job. He corrected my cabs that were not level, and put a urethane grout on this gold vino travertine which will never require sealing and gives it a slightly satiny finish.

I'm thinking the walls should be painted the light green as in the LR area, or maybe slightly darker; what do you think? The photo doesn't show the color very well; it's TV "sagey". We have an accent wall in green two shades darker, TV "softened green". Both are a grayed green. None of these photos came out very well. I need to re-accessorize, of course, but will do that in a couple of months. DH wants to keep the kitchen walls yellow, as is. I think the yellow's not terrible with the trav, but would like your thoughts.

On the deck and windows problems, the permit has been pulled for the deck, and we found out that the windows indeed were never flashed at all. Both of these will be remedied while I'm on my knee-surgery adventure.

I thank all of you so much for helping me through this avalanche of stuff and helping me find a BS that would lighten up my kitchen. I could never have done it without you.

• ellendi
    13 years ago

Congratulations! I think your post should be re titled "Great looking backsplash!" Enjoy!

• littlewomen
    13 years ago

I love the new backsplash!! Hope your recovery goes well along with your new deck.

• kitchenaddict
    13 years ago

Hi susan...

It looks great! I'm glad you are happy with it too!

KA:)

• marytwit
    13 years ago

Beautiful! I even like the valance now! It all works really well.

(I used a Cryo Cuff like the one in the link -- the hospital sent it home with me. I LOVED it -- you could load it up with ice and it would keep things cool front and back for hours. So much easier than ice packs.

• rookie_2010
    13 years ago

Beautiful!!!!!
    It's perfect, I'm so happy for you! KEEP that valance! If you decide to paint, I think a mossy green color, as close to the green in your valance as you can get, would be LOVELY.

• ejbrymom
    13 years ago

I LOVE IT!!! Definitely the right choice for the backsplash. Big improvement!

• lisa_a
    13 years ago

Stunning, susanka, simply stunning! I know it was a long, exhausting haul for you but it paid off many times over. I'm so glad you love it, too.

Love the green stone pears on your island. Nice touch!

• plllog
    13 years ago

Oh, it looks wonderful!!!! I've been more out than in, and this is the first thing I got to see!! I'm sorry you didn't get more of the variation that you liked, but the general result looks terrific with your cabinets, and the quality of the job shows too.

Congratulations!!

The yellow looks fine. Could it be improved upon? Sure. But it's fine. And you have healing to do and other things to worry about. In awhile, if you decide you want to give the room more attention, you can always change it. It's just paint.

Enjoy your new backsplash in good health.

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

oh, i think it looks grand too! just awesome. the tile edging at the bottom looks great. I can't really see it at the top.

and I agree, the yellow wall looks fine now and so does the valance.

for now, relax, get your knees done, loaf around recovering and enjoy the BS, dry windows and deck.

I'm so glad you like it also!

• gillylily
    13 years ago

Looks Amazing!!! So happy for you that it looks wonderful, you are HAPPY, and it is Complete!! Wishing you a quick and easy recovery from your knee surgery and deck repair!!

• susanka
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Everyone, thank you so much. I'm glad you think the backsplash looks good finally. The kitchen is much lighter, and the yellow has looked "all right" to me too for a couple of days. I think I'll be distracted enough for the next few weeks that I won't be thinking about paint or valances or canisters at all. The new contractor did a lovely job. There is a row at the top just like at the bottom, desertsteph. Lisa, glad you like the pears; I found them in a catalog and took a chance. plllog, thanks for all the time you've taken to help me out. And marytw, I've gotten lots of info from the TKR forum you intro'd me to. I'll see what they give me at rehab and get the rest myself. CryoCuff sounds like what I need.

And if any of you have a contractor who knows how to use urethane grout I recommend it. The trav has a lovely muted satin finish, just enough to take away the roughness. I am happy with it all, and am set to go. When I get back I think I'll have a new BS, new deck, and new house where it doesn't rain inside. You guys have been more than kind. See you in a while!

• gillycat
    13 years ago

at last - a treasure
    you have something that is beautiful and the craftmanship is excellent and very apparent. He is obvioulsy someone who took great pride in his work and I actually love the definition of the thin line at the bottom and, where visibke, at the top.
    soon you will be bouncing around in your beautiful kitchen with your new knee joint, cooking up a storm and enjoying every moment of it.
    all the best for the surgery and i will again repeat the words of my surgeon : the exercises are critical!

• susanka
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi, everyone. I'm five days out of surgery, feeling good most of the time, taking 1/3 of the pain medications I could be taking, and can't wait to bounce around in that kitchen, as you say, muspic. Marytw, I keep forgetting to ask for ice, and they don't seem to furnish it without being asked these days.

I agree that the workmanship is a delight; this man built multimillion dollar homes in California before coming to Colorado, and tile is one of the things he likes to do himself. It looked a bit too pink to me the first evening after the tile was installed, and I was scared to go into the kitchen the next morning, but overnight the pink had resolved into a more gold/brown look and the kitchen is so much brighter and a more pleasant place altogether. I won't be home to admire it for another week and a half, but it's a completely different-feeling kitchen. DH says the deck is going up correctly and we're looking forward to correcting the windows and restuccoing. Virtual hugs and huge thanks to all of you. I really would never have gotten through this without you, and feeling good in one's kitchen is a big thing, not a little thing, as we all know. I wish you all huge success in your projects, and I'll keep admiring your progress!

• nursetammi
    13 years ago

It looks like you planned it all that way from the beginning :) It looks sooooo nice. Great job. I am so happy for you that you are done.

Also so happy your surgery is completed too. That must be another relief. Please look into Systemic Enzymes (specifically Wobenzym N). They work on inflammation great which allows your knee to heal faster and help you to get around much better. Docs here in the US don't know very much about them so do your own research. They are used substantially in Europe. We are just a bit behind here. Not only do I take them everyday (I had a meniscal repair and wished I knew about them before my surgery) I give them to my dog. Side effects are all awesome unlike drugs :)
    Good Luck and a very healthy speedy recovery, and ENJOY that kitchen, it is beautiful!

• susanka
    Original Author
    13 years ago

nursetammi, thank you! And I will look into the wobenzym N.

• BriosaFarm
    13 years ago

Oh, my gosh..this is my first post on your thread though I've been reading it. Your kitchen looks *wonderful!* Anyone not in on the whole saga ;~) would think you just did it all on purpose and you made great choices! It will be fun choosing a few accessories....your lovely living room already has some bronze/copper things going on in it which will flow beautifully into the kitchen if you choose to add a little of those tones for accents. Congrats on your surgery and so glad you are feeling okay....things are on the upward swing in so many areas for you. Your backsplash is just lovely. At long last...this is it...ENJOY!

• susanka
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi, briosafarm. You are right, this is one of the many sagas on here, and thanks for reading it! Copper/rust is really my favorite color, and I think I'll have a good time finding a place for it in my kitchen.

I bet not 10% of us knew when we started on our houses what we were in for. When I get more up and around I'll look to see if you have a thread; I hope soon to see where you all are. Our house is pretty simple and small, since our kids are grown and we are just two. It's amazing how complicated it all can get even in a smaller size.

Thank you again, everyone. I look forward to reading about your adventures next.

• Gena Hooper
    13 years ago

Your backsplash looks lovely! I'm so glad that it came together for you after everything you went through.

I'm also glad to hear your knee replacement went well. It's something that I'll probably have to do sometime in the future, and I've read horror stories. (One should never research surgeries on the internet!) Oh, and you're probably past this, but if any surgery candidate comes across this thread, I second (or third) the polar care system. Used it for my second knee surgery, and it was fantastic!

Hope you heal quickly and smoothly, and that you're up and enjoying your kitchen soon.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I am late to this thread and have to say that when you started to ask about diamonds midway and others said "no" I was practically shouting at my computer, lol!
    I love what the new tile guy did and think the edge pieces make it work even better than without. You should give that guy a kiss ;)

BTW - I think the yellow is fine. If you do any change at all, you may want a lighter shade or one with a greenish tinge, but only do that if you want. You do not need to!